    I disabled windows messenger on my other pc by putting a ommand in run,
    but have recently changed pcs and cant find this command can anyone
    please tell me so i can do it again .please TIA

    hammy_pwb, Feb 27, 2006

  2. hammy_pwb

    SJP Guest

    http://grc.com/stm/shootthemessenger.htm

    SJP, Feb 27, 2006

  3. X-No-Archive: YES
    hammy_pwb [] has entered into testimony
    y0AMf.52556$

    > I disabled windows messenger on my other pc by putting a ommand in
    > run, but have recently changed pcs and cant find this command can
    > anyone please tell me so i can do it again .please TIA

    How did you learn how to do it before?

    --

    Skepticult® Member# 581-00504-208
    ChadwickStone at Gmail dot com

    Chadwick Stone©, Feb 27, 2006
  4. hammy_pwb

    hammy_pwb Guest

    Chadwick Stone© wrote:
    > hammy_pwb [] has entered into testimony
    > y0AMf.52556$
    >

    >> I disabled windows messenger on my other pc by putting a ommand in
    >> run, but have recently changed pcs and cant find this command can
    >> anyone please tell me so i can do it again .please TIA
    >>

    > How did you learn how to do it before?

    I was told by someone who has recently moved abroad from me

    hammy_pwb, Feb 27, 2006
  5. hammy_pwb

    james Guest

    In run box paste

    RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\inf\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove

    Jim

    james, Feb 27, 2006
  6. hammy_pwb

    hammy_pwb Guest

    james wrote:
    > In run box paste
    >
    > RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\inf\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove
    >
    > Jim
    >
    > "hammy_pwb" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> I disabled windows messenger on my other pc by putting a ommand in run, but
    >> have recently changed pcs and cant find this command can anyone please tell
    >> me so i can do it again .please TIA

    thanks

    hammy_pwb, Feb 27, 2006
  7. hammy_pwb

    Bob Guest

    "hammy_pwb" <> wrote in message
    >I disabled windows messenger on my other pc by putting a ommand in run, but
    >have recently changed pcs and cant find this command can anyone please tell
    >me so i can do it again .please TIA

    start/run/type msconfig untick messenger under the start up tab or
    just go to tools on messenger and look under the tab... general.... then
    untick the startup items. The msconfig method is best...!!
    Bob

    Bob, Feb 27, 2006
  8. hammy_pwb

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:FfHMf.70788$,
    Bob spewed forth:
    > "hammy_pwb" <> wrote in message
    >> I disabled windows messenger on my other pc by putting a ommand in
    >> run, but have recently changed pcs and cant find this command can
    >> anyone please tell me so i can do it again .please TIA

    > start/run/type msconfig untick messenger under the start up tab
    > or just go to tools on messenger and look under the tab...
    > general.... then untick the startup items. The msconfig method is
    > best...!! Bob

    No it's not. Msconfig is a TOOL, not a FIX. It only changes things on a
    temporary basis, then has to load itself everytime Windows is booted.

    You fix your car with a wrench. But you don't leave the wrench under the
    hood, do you?

    Toolman Tim, Feb 27, 2006
  9. hammy_pwb

    Bob Guest

    "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    > In news:FfHMf.70788$,
    > Bob spewed forth:
    >> "hammy_pwb" <> wrote in message
    >>> I disabled windows messenger on my other pc by putting a ommand in
    >>> run, but have recently changed pcs and cant find this command can
    >>> anyone please tell me so i can do it again .please TIA

    >> start/run/type msconfig untick messenger under the start up tab
    >> or just go to tools on messenger and look under the tab...
    >> general.... then untick the startup items. The msconfig method is
    >> best...!! Bob

    > No it's not. Msconfig is a TOOL, not a FIX. It only changes things on a
    > temporary basis, then has to load itself everytime Windows is booted.
    >
    > You fix your car with a wrench. But you don't leave the wrench under the
    > hood, do you?

    I disagree..once unticked in msconfig the program will be disabled in the
    startup "run" folder. I do realise this isn't a permanent fix but if she had
    wanted to remove it permanently then of course this could have been done in
    the add/remove programs. I am sure this is the method she wanted to use as
    last time she said she used the 'run' box.

    Bob, Feb 27, 2006
  10. hammy_pwb

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:nTIMf.57147$,
    Bob spewed forth:
    > "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    >> In news:FfHMf.70788$,
    >> Bob spewed forth:
    >>> "hammy_pwb" <> wrote in message
    >>> start/run/type msconfig untick messenger under the start up
    >>> tab or just go to tools on messenger and look under the tab...
    >>> general.... then untick the startup items. The msconfig method is
    >>> best...!! Bob

    >> No it's not. Msconfig is a TOOL, not a FIX. It only changes things
    >> on a temporary basis, then has to load itself everytime Windows is
    >> booted. You fix your car with a wrench. But you don't leave the wrench
    >> under
    >> the hood, do you?

    > I disagree..once unticked in msconfig the program will be disabled in
    > the startup "run" folder. I do realise this isn't a permanent fix but
    > if she had wanted to remove it permanently then of course this could
    > have been done in the add/remove programs. I am sure this is the
    > method she wanted to use as last time she said she used the 'run' box.

    Correct. It won't load that program. But why load msconfig over and over and
    over and over and over and over...get the idea? Disable the program
    correctly. Don't leave msconfig running every time the computer restarts.
    That is NOT what it is made for. It leaves temporary changes in the registry
    just waiting for something to go wrong.

    Toolman Tim, Feb 28, 2006
  11. hammy_pwb

    James Shortz Guest

    http://www.grc.com/stm/shootthemessenger.htm

    James Shortz, Feb 28, 2006
  12. X-No-Archive: YES
    hammy_pwb [] has entered into testimony
    HZAMf.70750$

    > Chadwick Stone© wrote:
    >> hammy_pwb [] has entered into testimony
    >> y0AMf.52556$
    >>

    >>> I disabled windows messenger on my other pc by putting a ommand in
    >>> run, but have recently changed pcs and cant find this command can
    >>> anyone please tell me so i can do it again .please TIA
    >>>

    >> How did you learn how to do it before?
    >>

    > I was told by someone who has recently moved abroad from me

    My advice is to simply remove it from your system.

    Chadwick Stone©, Feb 28, 2006
  13. hammy_pwb

    > In news:nTIMf.57147$,
    > Bob spewed forth:
    >> "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    >>> In news:FfHMf.70788$,
    >>> Bob spewed forth:
    >>>
    >>> No it's not. Msconfig is a TOOL, not a FIX. It only changes things
    >>> on a temporary basis, then has to load itself everytime Windows is
    >>> booted. You fix your car with a wrench. But you don't leave the wrench
    >>> under
    >>> the hood, do you?

    >> I disagree..once unticked in msconfig the program will be disabled in
    >> the startup "run" folder. I do realise this isn't a permanent fix but
    >> if she had wanted to remove it permanently then of course this could
    >> have been done in the add/remove programs. I am sure this is the
    >> method she wanted to use as last time she said she used the 'run' box.
    >>>

    > Correct. It won't load that program. But why load msconfig over and over
    > and over and over and over and over...get the idea? Disable the program
    > correctly. Don't leave msconfig running every time the computer restarts.
    > That is NOT what it is made for. It leaves temporary changes in the
    > registry just waiting for something to go wrong.

    I have always asumed 'msconfig' as an information tool which could also be
    used to prevent progammes from starting up when the computer loads. It can
    be used also for diagnosing faults when windows is loading etc. I dont think
    unticking one or more programmes makes any difference to whether it loads
    or not as it is always running and available in the background. Its a good
    tool to check out which programmes are not required immediately when the
    windows starts up!!

    Bob, Feb 28, 2006
  14. hammy_pwb

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:BW4Nf.25347$,
    Bob spewed forth:
    > "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    >> In news:nTIMf.57147$,
    >> Bob spewed forth:
    >>> "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message

    >>> I disagree..once unticked in msconfig the program will be disabled
    >>> in the startup "run" folder. I do realise this isn't a permanent
    >>> fix but if she had wanted to remove it permanently then of course
    >>> this could have been done in the add/remove programs. I am sure
    >>> this is the method she wanted to use as last time she said she used
    >>> the 'run' box.
    >>>>

    >> Correct. It won't load that program. But why load msconfig over and
    >> over and over and over and over and over...get the idea? Disable the
    >> program correctly. Don't leave msconfig running every time the
    >> computer restarts. That is NOT what it is made for. It leaves
    >> temporary changes in the registry just waiting for something to go
    >> wrong.

    > I have always asumed 'msconfig' as an information tool which could
    > also be used to prevent progammes from starting up when the computer
    > loads. It can be used also for diagnosing faults when windows is
    > difference to whether it loads or not as it is always running and
    > available in the background. Its a good tool to check out which
    > programmes are not required immediately when the windows starts up!!

    You're not listening to what I'm saying. If you like having extra
    information in your registry that has to be parsed each time you boot, if
    you like having extra startup file backup copies on your system, if you like
    waiting longer each time Windows starts so that msconfig.exe can process the
    modified system state, then fine: leave it running. But that's /not/ what it
    is made for. It is NOT NOT NOT always running in the background unless YOU
    YOU YOU tell it to.

    Toolman Tim, Mar 1, 2006
  15. hammy_pwb

    Plato Guest