    What am I missing here ? why are things not working?

    Any help on this one would be most appreciated
    Cheers

    Pete, Jan 14, 2006

  2. Pete

    bloggs Guest

    Pete wrote:
    > Running Windoze Me and trying to get rid of viruses/ Trojans on my
    > sons PC. Gone to system/troubleshooting etc. & tried to disable system
    > restore so viruses don't keep coming back after scanner has dealt with
    > them ... also tried in safe mode etc.
    > Tho check mark appears and computer is restarted it doesn't appear to
    > work and viruses show up again on re scan. I have tried enabling
    > system restore again + restarting pc to go thro procedure again
    > but can't get rid of check mark showing disabled.
    > What am I missing here ? why are things not working?
    >
    > Any help on this one would be most appreciated
    > Cheers

    You wont get rid of viruses by doing system restore. You *need* to use
    anti-virus software for this.
    Try AVG from www.grisoft.com or Avast! from www.avast.com they're both
    free and they work. AVG is more intuitive than Avast tho.
    Bloggs

    bloggs, Jan 14, 2006

  3. Pete

    Pete Guest

    On Sat, 14 Jan 2006 16:57:37 GMT, bloggs <> wrote:

    >Pete wrote:
    >> Running Windoze Me and trying to get rid of viruses/ Trojans on my
    >> sons PC. Gone to system/troubleshooting etc. & tried to disable system
    >> restore so viruses don't keep coming back after scanner has dealt with
    >> them ... also tried in safe mode etc.
    >> Tho check mark appears and computer is restarted it doesn't appear to
    >> work and viruses show up again on re scan. I have tried enabling
    >> system restore again + restarting pc to go thro procedure again
    >> but can't get rid of check mark showing disabled.
    >> What am I missing here ? why are things not working?
    >>
    >> Any help on this one would be most appreciated
    >> Cheers

    >You wont get rid of viruses by doing system restore. You *need* to use
    >anti-virus software for this.
    >Try AVG from www.grisoft.com or Avast! from www.avast.com they're both
    >free and they work. AVG is more intuitive than Avast tho.
    >Bloggs

    My apologies if I didn't make myself clear - I've run AVG software
    which shows up viruses but the affected files just restore themselves
    so I need to disable system restore to stop this from happening......
    for some reason I am unable to do this . tho the checkbox is ticked to
    disable it doesn't work.

    Pete, Jan 14, 2006
  4. Pete

    Jimmy Dean Guest

    On Sat, 14 Jan 2006 16:21:23 GMT, Pete <> wrote:

    >Running Windoze Me and trying to get rid of viruses/ Trojans on my
    >sons PC. Gone to system/troubleshooting etc. & tried to disable system
    >restore so viruses don't keep coming back after scanner has dealt with
    >them ... also tried in safe mode etc.
    >Tho check mark appears and computer is restarted it doesn't appear to
    >work and viruses show up again on re scan. I have tried enabling
    >system restore again + restarting pc to go thro procedure again
    > but can't get rid of check mark showing disabled.
    >What am I missing here ? why are things not working?
    >
    >Any help on this one would be most appreciated
    >Cheers

    Disabling System Restore is a precaution in case you restored to a
    staate which was infected. By itself it shouldn't cause viruses to
    reappear (unles you restore to an infected state). You might have
    other nasties which can only be cleand up by SpyBot, Ad-Aware and
    Microsoft AntiSpyware - I would use all 3.

    jd

    Jimmy Dean, Jan 15, 2006