Disabling System Restore Monitoring permanently

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Graham, Apr 23, 2006.

  1. Graham

    Graham Guest

    This isn't x64 specific, but since I use x64 most of the time, it's
    where I'm asking. Is it possible to disable System Restore Monitoring
    permanently on specific drives?

    I have a number of removable (USB and/or Firewire) drives for which
    System Restore is quite inappropriate and just wastes space. So I
    disable monitoring for each drive. Next time I mount them again, I find
    System Restore has re-enabled monitoring. Aaaargh!

    If you disable the monitoring on a fixed drive (where it may well be
    useful), it stays disabled. If you disable it on a removable drive
    (where it is largely useless), it doesn't stay disabled. I wonder who
    ever thought this would be a good idea?

    Anyway, back to the point: can I make it stay disabled permanently for
    specific drives, without disabling System Restore completely?

    Graham.
    Graham, Apr 23, 2006

  2. Open Control Panel > System > System Restore (tab) > under Drive settings >
    select the specific drive you want to disable System Restore for, click
    Settings > click "Turn off System Restore on this drive.
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
    http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Apr 23, 2006

  3. Graham

    Jane Colman Guest

    Maybe it's because each time you mount or remount one of the removable
    drives, Windows sees it as a *new* drive and automatically turns System
    Restore back on for it?

    --
    Jane, but not plain ;) 64 bit enabled :)
    Batteries not included. Braincell on vacation.
    Jane Colman, Apr 23, 2006
  4. Graham

    Graham Guest

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64] wrote:
    > Open Control Panel > System > System Restore (tab) > under Drive settings >
    > select the specific drive you want to disable System Restore for, click
    > Settings > click "Turn off System Restore on this drive.

    Yes, I know that. I did say that I turn it off, but Windows decides to
    turn it back on every time I mount the disk again.

    Graham.
    Graham, Apr 23, 2006
  5. Graham

    Graham Guest

    Jane Colman wrote:

    > Maybe it's because each time you mount or remount one of the removable
    > drives, Windows sees it as a *new* drive and automatically turns System
    > Restore back on for it?

    Well, yes that's possible, but it assigns the same drive letters to the
    partitions (I have each partition on a separate drive letter so I can
    have all the drives mounted at the same time), so it does at least know
    the partitions are the same, and the cache setting stays the same, so at
    least part of Windows knows they aren't new drives. Just not the bit
    which makes System Restore turn monitoring back on.

    Graham.
    Graham, Apr 23, 2006