Disabling SSID on Linksys WRT54GS router. Cannot disable ssid

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by pattyjamas@hotmail.com, Aug 16, 2005.

  1. Guest

    Tried to disable SSID so others could not see it (unless they had
    special equipment or were War Driving). I have a WRT54GS router. If I
    disable SSID broadcast, it still broadcasts the Routers Name or Domain
    Name.

    If I clear out the name and try to save the setting it states that this
    name Router Name I think-cannot be blank.

    So in essence you cannot really disable the SSID can you?

    I do have MAC filtering on for extra security. File/Printer Sharing Off
    on PC's. Password for 192.168.1.1 router changed. Logs shut off on
    router.

    Thanks for answering the SSID broadcast anomaly where they say you need
    the Router Name.

    Sincerely
    Patty
    , Aug 16, 2005

  2. Dave Guest

    this is good, at least one manufacturer is getting smarter and making it so
    you can't turn off the ssid.

    Dave, Aug 16, 2005

  3. N. Miller Guest

    On 16 Aug 2005 13:14:39 -0700, wrote:

    > Tried to disable SSID so others could not see it (unless they had
    > special equipment or were War Driving). I have a WRT54GS router. If I
    > disable SSID broadcast, it still broadcasts the Routers Name or Domain
    > Name.
    >
    > If I clear out the name and try to save the setting it states that this
    > name Router Name I think-cannot be blank.
    >
    > So in essence you cannot really disable the SSID can you?
    >

    > I do have MAC filtering on for extra security. File/Printer Sharing Off
    > on PC's. Password for 192.168.1.1 router changed. Logs shut off on
    > router.
    >

    > Thanks for answering the SSID broadcast anomaly where they say you need
    > the Router Name.
    >
    > Sincerely
    > Patty

    Change the SSID name. Don't bother trying to turn it off; it provides no
    extra security to do so. If you can do it, you will get maximum security
    with WPA, using AES encryption, and every last one of the 63 ASCII
    character positions of the key. If you have to fall back to WEP security
    because some hardware isn't capable of WPA, replace it.

    --
    Norman
    ~Fin dein a loluca, En dragu a sei lain
    N. Miller, Aug 17, 2005
  4. Patty,
    I have the same router and as far as I know you can turn SSID off.
    The router must have a name, but it can be any name, does not need to ID you
    in any way.
    Once you turn it off it will still show on your wireless because you are set
    up with proper security and password. But others, without correct MAC and
    WEP/WPA passkey will not see it. It may not add much security against a pro,
    but if it keeps amateurs from seeing the SSID then they are less likey to try
    to hack in.

    The router as yet does not support the new MS WPA2. Don't know if that is
    possible or if it will require a new router.

    EEH

    =?Utf-8?B?RUVI?=, Aug 17, 2005
  5. Guest

    Thanks very much
    Patty
    , Aug 18, 2005
  6. David {MVP} Guest

    Actually it is very unlikely to stop amateurs from seeing your access
    point/wireless router, and for some it will act much like waving a red flag
    in front of a bull, they know that you have something you wish to hide. As
    to disabling it will make life with WZC much harder, IMHO. That you gain
    something from this practice is an urban myth IMHO.

    --
    David {MVP}
    Microsoft Mobile Devices

    benefit of all of us...
    The MARA Program - http://www.mobileav.org/index.html

    rights...

    Spelling and grammar errors left in for those that need a little joy in
    their life by correcting me.

    David {MVP}, Aug 18, 2005
  7. You may find this interesting...

    http://www.broadbandreports.com/faq/wlan/40.0 Security#10907