    like to do this, but I can not get this to work. Any suggestions on how
    I can get this to work?

    Z.K.
    Z.K., Dec 4, 2005

  2. when you disable SSID on router your (windows i assume) wont see the router
    in "available wireless networks list", so you'll have to manually configure
    your laptops wireless card with the correct SSID in preffered networks list

    Good luck

    M Irusalimsky, Dec 4, 2005

  3. Z.K.

    Ryan Younger Guest

    You won't be able to use XP's wireless zero configuration if you disable the
    SSID, you will have to configure the connection manually. Disabling the
    SSID is not really much of a security measure, every time a machine
    associates with an AP the SSID is shown in clear text, and can be viewed by
    anyone with a wireless sniffer. There are far better methods for securing
    your AP, such as enabling encryption; you can read more in the following
    article:

    Best Practices for Securing a SOHO Wireless Access Point/Router

    Available at: http://spaces.msn.com/members/wirelessnetworking/

    --
    All the best,

    Ryan Younger.
    Networking Weblog

    Ryan Younger, Dec 4, 2005
  4. Z.K.

    Z.K. Guest

    I had already done that, but I'll give it another try.

    Z.K.

    Z.K., Dec 4, 2005
  5. Z.K.

    Z.K. Guest

    Thanks for the info. Even so, I would still like to be able to do it.

    Z.K.

    Z.K., Dec 4, 2005
  6. Z.K.

    Jack Guest

    Hi

    If you do not use any security measure disabling the SSID and using the
    original manufacturer util., (WZC need the SSID On) is half a notch above
    nothing.

    Otherwise, if you use additional security measure the "Hidden SSID" does
    nothing for you, http://www.ezlan.net/faq#ssid

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack, Dec 4, 2005
  7. Z.K.

    Z.K. Guest

    Oh okay, that helps alot since I can't get my systems to talk to one
    another with the SSID disabled. I won't worry about it then.

    Z.K.

    Z.K., Dec 4, 2005
  8. Z.K.

    steve.co.uk

    Joined:
    Sep 30, 2006
    Messages:
    1
    Hi have you tried changing the advanced properties in wireless connection window.
    If there are other wirless lans in the area it would stop the connection you have made from working.

    Go to Veiw wireless networks
    Ckick change advanced settings
    open the wireless networks window
    click advanced
    uncheck automaticaly connect to none-prefered networks

    Hope it helps

    :)
    steve.co.uk, Sep 30, 2006