    I think I recall that with w98 it was possible to run MSCONFIG and
    disable some of the ram. How can I do this with XP?? I want to try
    running XP with 128 mb ram to see how much slower it is.
    Sirius, Jun 23, 2004

  2. Sirius

    The Prophecy Guest

    Sirius wrote:
    > I think I recall that with w98 it was possible to run MSCONFIG and
    > disable some of the ram. How can I do this with XP?? I want to try
    > running XP with 128 mb ram to see how much slower it is.

    You can't disable RAM with XP. The only way to do what you are describing is
    to open your computer case and remove the RAM.
    The Prophecy, Jun 23, 2004

  3. Sirius

    slick Guest

    You know, generally, people like to make there computer faster.........

    Just kidding, carry on!

    slick, Jun 24, 2004
  4. Sirius

    The Prophecy Guest

    One would think so, this question also had me scratching my head.

    The Prophecy, Jun 24, 2004
  5. Sirius

    Sirius Guest

    slick wrote:

    > You know, generally, people like to make there computer faster.........

    I've got a 400 Mhz computer with 768 Mb ram (or thereabouts). It runs XP
    great. My daughter's laptop has a CPU of similar speed but only 128 mb
    ram. It runs a heck of a lot slower and I think this is due to lack of
    ram, but wanted to confirm with the experiment described in the OP.
    Sirius, Jun 24, 2004
  6. Sirius

    Thor Guest

    "Sirius" <> wrote in message
    > slick wrote:
    >
    > > You know, generally, people like to make there computer faster.........

    > I've got a 400 Mhz computer with 768 Mb ram (or thereabouts). It runs XP
    > great. My daughter's laptop has a CPU of similar speed but only 128 mb
    > ram. It runs a heck of a lot slower and I think this is due to lack of
    > ram, but wanted to confirm with the experiment described in the OP.

    Many here would have confirmed that to you easily. :)
    Thor, Jun 24, 2004
  7. Sirius

    Sirius Guest

    Thor wrote:

    > "Sirius" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>slick wrote:
    >>

    >>>You know, generally, people like to make there computer faster.........

    >>I've got a 400 Mhz computer with 768 Mb ram (or thereabouts). It runs XP
    >>great. My daughter's laptop has a CPU of similar speed but only 128 mb
    >>ram. It runs a heck of a lot slower and I think this is due to lack of
    >>ram, but wanted to confirm with the experiment described in the OP.

    > Many here would have confirmed that to you easily. :)

    Perhaps I should've phrased it differently - I want to find out if
    reducing ram to 128 mb is alone enough to cause the degree of slowness
    observed. I suspect that there is another factor causing the slowness in
    my daughters laptop.

    I was amazed recently to see that IBM are selling a thinkpad with XP and
    only 128 mb ram.

    Is there an official Microsoft minimum figure for ram with XP?
    Sirius, Jun 24, 2004
  8. Sirius

    Jim Berwick Guest

    Sirius <> wrote in

    > Perhaps I should've phrased it differently - I want to find out if
    > reducing ram to 128 mb is alone enough to cause the degree of slowness
    > observed. I suspect that there is another factor causing the slowness
    > in my daughters laptop.

    It could also be that since it's a laptop it has a slower RPM hard drive
    (my viao has only a 4200 RPM drive), vs a desktop with a 5400, 7200,
    10,000 or 15,000 RPM drive. Makes a huge difference in speed.

    > I was amazed recently to see that IBM are selling a thinkpad with XP
    > and only 128 mb ram.
    >
    > Is there an official Microsoft minimum figure for ram with XP?

    # Pentium 233 MHz or faster processor
    # 128 MB RAM
    # 1.5 GB hard disk space
    # CD-ROM or DVD drive
    # Sound card
    # Keyboard and mouse
    # DVD video playback requires DVD drive and DVD decoder card or DVD
    decoder software and 8 MB video RAM # Video capture feature requires
    appropriate digital or analog video capture device and 400 MHz or faster
    processor for digital video camera capture # 33.6K modem and Internet
    access required for online and conferencing features
    Jim Berwick, Jun 24, 2004
  9. Sirius

    Sirius Guest

    Jim Berwick wrote:

    > Sirius <> wrote in
    >

    >>Perhaps I should've phrased it differently - I want to find out if
    >>reducing ram to 128 mb is alone enough to cause the degree of slowness
    >>observed. I suspect that there is another factor causing the slowness
    >>in my daughters laptop.

    > It could also be that since it's a laptop it has a slower RPM hard drive
    > (my viao has only a 4200 RPM drive), vs a desktop with a 5400, 7200,
    > 10,000 or 15,000 RPM drive. Makes a huge difference in speed.

    yes I hadn't thought of that. I suppose the difference will be amplified
    as well due to the laptop using more swap file than the desktop.

    >>I was amazed recently to see that IBM are selling a thinkpad with XP
    >>and only 128 mb ram.
    >>
    >>Is there an official Microsoft minimum figure for ram with XP?
    >>

    > # Pentium 233 MHz or faster processor
    > # 128 MB RAM
    > # 1.5 GB hard disk space
    > # CD-ROM or DVD drive
    > # Sound card
    > # Keyboard and mouse
    > # DVD video playback requires DVD drive and DVD decoder card or DVD
    > decoder software and 8 MB video RAM # Video capture feature requires
    > appropriate digital or analog video capture device and 400 MHz or faster
    > processor for digital video camera capture # 33.6K modem and Internet
    > access required for online and conferencing features

    Thankyou.

    Am I correct in believing that XP has more background services running
    and so will run slower than W98 given the same hardware??
    Sirius, Jun 24, 2004
  10. Sirius

    Jim Berwick Guest

    Sirius <> wrote in news:2k0pa5F15g46cU1@uni-
    berlin.de:

    > Am I correct in believing that XP has more background services running
    > and so will run slower than W98 given the same hardware??

    Depends. On marginal hardware (ie, the stuff above) 98 is faster. On
    decent hardware, the NT based OSs are faster because they manage resources
    better.
    Jim Berwick, Jun 24, 2004
  11. Sirius

    Plato Guest

    Sirius wrote:

    > I was amazed recently to see that IBM are selling a thinkpad with XP and
    > only 128 mb ram.

    That's a total shame and dis-service to the public who are suppossed to
    [should be able to] depend on big names like that to properly design a
    system. The pc will be swapping even before it's done booting up to
    windows. That system is a 100% bad setup with 128.
    Plato, Jun 25, 2004
  12. Sirius

    Plato Guest

    Jim Berwick wrote:

    > It could also be that since it's a laptop it has a slower RPM hard drive
    > (my viao has only a 4200 RPM drive), vs a desktop with a 5400, 7200,
    > 10,000 or 15,000 RPM drive. Makes a huge difference in speed.

    I have no time for laptops.
    Plato, Jun 25, 2004
  13. Sirius

    Plato Guest

    Sirius wrote:

    > Am I correct in believing that XP has more background services running
    > and so will run slower than W98 given the same hardware??

    Of course you're correct. I'm starting to remember some things I got
    pissed off at in the past regarding a similiar thing. I remember when
    ZDnet was pretty popular, even among some techs for info. Back then MS
    spent tons of money in ads there, big ads too.

    So windows 98 comes out and you see this big ZDnet article titled
    something like this:

    "Windows 98 is much faster than windows 95 and will speed up your pc and
    speed up your internet service".

    That's what really killed ZDnets credibility. ie they'd say anything for
    dollars.
    Plato, Jun 25, 2004
  14. Sirius

    Thor Guest

    "Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message
    > Sirius wrote:
    > >
    > > I was amazed recently to see that IBM are selling a thinkpad with XP and
    > > only 128 mb ram.

    > That's a total shame and dis-service to the public who are suppossed to
    > [should be able to] depend on big names like that to properly design a
    > system. The pc will be swapping even before it's done booting up to
    > windows. That system is a 100% bad setup with 128.

    Gateway is selling them the same way. Had a customer who just bought one of
    the $499 desktop specials from Gateway. No floppy drive, and it only had
    128MB, and some of that was used by the video. Lots of the big companies are
    doing that with the real cheapie systems.
    Thor, Jun 25, 2004
  15. Sirius

    Jim Berwick Guest

    Plato <|@|.|> wrote in news:40dc40f2$0$4073$:

    > That's what really killed ZDnets credibility. ie they'd say anything for
    > dollars.

    It's slightly true in a way, in the same sense that XP is faster than 98.
    On adaquate hardware, it is faster. On 98 level hardware, XP is slower.
    Jim Berwick, Jun 25, 2004
  16. Sirius

    Sirius Guest

    Plato wrote:
    > Jim Berwick wrote:
    >
    >>It could also be that since it's a laptop it has a slower RPM hard drive
    >>(my viao has only a 4200 RPM drive), vs a desktop with a 5400, 7200,
    >>10,000 or 15,000 RPM drive. Makes a huge difference in speed.

    > I have no time for laptops.

    No need perhaps? I just got a Thinkpad T23 recently. Its a great machine
    and 3X faster than my desktop. I've setup a wireless network which means
    I can work on either machine - or both, can work away from my cluttered
    computer table and using a mobile phone I can get intenet access when
    away from home. It is also great for showing photos. I wouldn't like to
    be without it now.
    Sirius, Jun 25, 2004
  17. Sirius

    Sirius Guest

    Plato wrote:
    > Sirius wrote:
    >
    >>I was amazed recently to see that IBM are selling a thinkpad with XP and
    >>only 128 mb ram.

    > That's a total shame and dis-service to the public who are suppossed to
    > [should be able to] depend on big names like that to properly design a
    > system. The pc will be swapping even before it's done booting up to
    > windows. That system is a 100% bad setup with 128.

    That particular model (R40E IIRC)is a lot cheaper than most thinkpads. I
    guess it is an attempt to build down to a price and compete with other
    cheap laptops.
    Sirius, Jun 25, 2004
  18. Sirius

    Jim Berwick Guest

    Sirius <> wrote in news:2k359jF17e94lU1@uni-
    berlin.de:

    > No need perhaps? I just got a Thinkpad T23 recently. Its a great machine
    > and 3X faster than my desktop. I've setup a wireless network which means
    > I can work on either machine - or both, can work away from my cluttered
    > computer table and using a mobile phone I can get intenet access when
    > away from home. It is also great for showing photos. I wouldn't like to
    > be without it now.

    I've owned a Sony Viao for a while now (FR130 with an XP2000 and GF4
    graphics). It's kinda heavy though, being a desktop replacement kind of
    laptop, so I just picked up a Compaq Armada 300 off ebay. It's smaller
    than my work notebook (not notebook computer, just a notebook). Wireless
    and wired all around, for both.
    Jim Berwick, Jun 25, 2004
  19. Sirius

    Plato Guest

    Sirius wrote:

    > >>I was amazed recently to see that IBM are selling a thinkpad with XP and
    > >>only 128 mb ram.

    > > That's a total shame and dis-service to the public who are suppossed to
    > > [should be able to] depend on big names like that to properly design a
    > > system. The pc will be swapping even before it's done booting up to
    > > windows. That system is a 100% bad setup with 128.

    > That particular model (R40E IIRC)is a lot cheaper than most thinkpads. I
    > guess it is an attempt to build down to a price and compete with other
    > cheap laptops.

    I guess you get what you pay for. What saddens me is that the average
    Joe trusts the retailers, and then ends up with a slow as shit computer.
    I'm thinking about the dad that is getting a pc/laptop for his
    son/daugthter and then they are stuck with it. The dad tried to do his
    best and well....
    Plato, Jun 25, 2004
  20. Sirius

    Plato Guest

    Sirius wrote:

    > > I have no time for laptops.

    > No need perhaps? I just got a Thinkpad T23 recently. Its a great machine
    > and 3X faster than my desktop. I've setup a wireless network which means
    > I can work on either machine - or both, can work away from my cluttered
    > computer table and using a mobile phone I can get intenet access when
    > away from home. It is also great for showing photos. I wouldn't like to
    > be without it now.

    grin. I do like sitting next to someone when flying who has a dvd player
    laptop and watching the newest movies. :) Last flight I sat next to
    this "rapper" and his "crew" I just read in the paper he's in jail for
    shooting somebody.
    Plato, Jun 25, 2004