    on my computer. How do I stop this happening please?

    --
    Alasdair.
    Alasdair, May 24, 2009

  2. Alasdair

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Sun, 24 May 2009 00:33:42 +0100, Alasdair <>
    wrote:

    >I have just installed MSN Messenger on my computer running Windows XP.
    >I find that MSN Messenger fires up automatically every time I switch
    >on my computer. How do I stop this happening please?

    Google disable msn messenger startup.

    Evan Platt, May 24, 2009

  3. Alasdair

    richard Guest

    wrote:

    >I have just installed MSN Messenger on my computer running Windows XP.
    >I find that MSN Messenger fires up automatically every time I switch
    >on my computer. How do I stop this happening please?

    rename the folder.
    windows assumes that if it cant find the folder, the file does not
    exist.
    richard, May 24, 2009
  4. Alasdair

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Sat, 23 May 2009 20:45:19 -0400, richard <>
    wrote:

    >rename the folder.

    What folder?

    >windows assumes that if it cant find the folder, the file does not
    >exist.

    Huh?

    This is chucktard type advice. This will cause a error every time
    Windows boots up.

    Bad advice.
    Evan Platt, May 24, 2009
  5. Alasdair

    Dan C Guest

    On Sun, 24 May 2009 00:33:42 +0100, Alasdair wrote:

    > I have just installed MSN Messenger on my computer running Windows XP. I
    > find that MSN Messenger fires up automatically every time I switch on my
    > computer. How do I stop this happening please?

    The only way to be sure is to format your hard drive.

    Ahhhhhhhh!: http://brandybuck.site40.net/pics/relieve.jpg
    Dan C, May 24, 2009
  6. richard wrote:

    > Alasdair <> wrote:
    >> I have just installed MSN Messenger on my computer running Windows
    >> XP. I find that MSN Messenger fires up automatically every time I
    >> switch on my computer. How do I stop this happening please?

    > rename the folder.
    > windows assumes that if it cant find the folder, the file does not
    > exist.

    Well, that's your usual quality of advice. St00pid.

    Alasdair, see this:
    http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t210146-msn-messenger-at-start-up.html
    and this:
    http://www.winxptutor.com/preventmsn.htm

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, May 24, 2009
  7. Alasdair

    Marie-Jeanne Guest

    "Alasdair" <> wrote in message
    >I have just installed MSN Messenger on my computer running Windows XP.
    > I find that MSN Messenger fires up automatically every time I switch
    > on my computer. How do I stop this happening please?
    >
    > --
    > Alasdair.

    Open MSN Messenger>>> "Tools">>> "Options">>>"General">>> Untick
    "Automatically run Windows Messenger when I log on Windows">>"OK"
    Marie-Jeanne, May 24, 2009
  8. Alasdair

    richard Guest

    On Sat, 23 May 2009 18:05:51 -0700, Evan Platt
    <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 23 May 2009 20:45:19 -0400, richard <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>rename the folder.

    >What folder?
    >
    >>windows assumes that if it cant find the folder, the file does not
    >>exist.

    >Huh?
    >
    >This is chucktard type advice. This will cause a error every time
    >Windows boots up.
    >
    >Bad advice.

    Try it some time stoopid.
    messenger is not automatically started on boot up.
    richard, May 24, 2009
  9. Alasdair

    richard Guest

    On Sat, 23 May 2009 18:30:41 -0700, "Marie-Jeanne" <>
    wrote:

    >"Alasdair" <> wrote in message
    >>I have just installed MSN Messenger on my computer running Windows XP.
    >> I find that MSN Messenger fires up automatically every time I switch
    >> on my computer. How do I stop this happening please?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Alasdair.

    >Open MSN Messenger>>> "Tools">>> "Options">>>"General">>> Untick
    >"Automatically run Windows Messenger when I log on Windows">>"OK"

    Thanks for slapping the great and mighty Evan Platt
    richard, May 24, 2009
  10. Alasdair

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Sat, 23 May 2009 21:47:00 -0400, richard <>
    wrote:

    >Try it some time stoopid.

    Try what?

    >messenger is not automatically started on boot up.

    It is if you enable it to be. Which it is on the OP's computer, which
    the OP clearly stated.

    You really are a idiot.
    Evan Platt, May 24, 2009
  11. Alasdair

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Sat, 23 May 2009 21:48:50 -0400, richard <>
    wrote:

    >Thanks for slapping the great and mighty Evan Platt

    Uhhh read much, st00pid?

    I answered 1 1/2 hours before Marie-Jeanne.

    I'd call you a dumbshit, but that's an insult to dumbshits.
    Evan Platt, May 24, 2009
  12. I am not expert in computers but have you tried switch your OS to work
    into classic mode then open task bar and in there some place you can
    enable or disable window messenger, beside that window XP comes
    with messenger it is part of OS, so? what are you doing it is not
    understandable to me sorry!

    Old and Grunpy, May 24, 2009
  13. Alasdair

    gilb Guest

    > "Alasdair" <> wrote in message
    >>I have just installed MSN Messenger on my computer running Windows XP.
    >> I find that MSN Messenger fires up automatically every time I switch
    >> on my computer. How do I stop this happening please?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Alasdair.

    Go to Start\Run\enter *msconfig*\OK\Startup and uncheck messenger. You'll
    have to confirm this action next time you re-boot.
    gilb, May 24, 2009
  14. Alasdair

    Ian Jackson Guest

    In message <XWjSl.74181$>, gilb <>
    writes

    >> "Alasdair" <> wrote in message
    >>>I have just installed MSN Messenger on my computer running Windows XP.
    >>> I find that MSN Messenger fires up automatically every time I switch
    >>> on my computer. How do I stop this happening please?
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Alasdair.

    >Go to Start\Run\enter *msconfig*\OK\Startup and uncheck messenger.
    >You'll have to confirm this action next time you re-boot.

    If you have CCleaner installed, one of its tools is to enable or disable
    programs from running at start-up. The setting 'stays put' (ie does not
    need to be confirmed each time you boot), and is easily reversed.
    http://www.ccleaner.com/ (freeware)
    --
    Ian
    Ian Jackson, May 25, 2009
  15. Alasdair

    gilb Guest

    "Ian Jackson" <> wrote in message
    > In message <XWjSl.74181$>, gilb <>
    > writes
    >>
    >>> "Alasdair" <> wrote in message

    >>Go to Start\Run\enter *msconfig*\OK\Startup and uncheck messenger. You'll
    >>have to confirm this action next time you re-boot.

    > If you have CCleaner installed, one of its tools is to enable or disable
    > programs from running at start-up. The setting 'stays put' (ie does not
    > need to be confirmed each time you boot), and is easily reversed.
    > http://www.ccleaner.com/ (freeware)
    > --
    > Ian

    To clarify, one only needs to confirm once after the change, not after
    *every* reboot.
    gilb, May 25, 2009
  16. Alasdair

    Ian Jackson Guest

    In message <vhFSl.81529$>, gilb <>
    writes

    >"Ian Jackson" <> wrote in message
    >> In message <XWjSl.74181$>, gilb <>
    >>writes

    >>>Go to Start\Run\enter *msconfig*\OK\Startup and uncheck messenger.
    >>>You'll have to confirm this action next time you re-boot.

    >> If you have CCleaner installed, one of its tools is to enable or
    >>disable programs from running at start-up. The setting 'stays put'
    >>(ie does not need to be confirmed each time you boot), and is easily
    >>reversed.
    >> http://www.ccleaner.com/ (freeware)
    >> -- Ian

    >To clarify, one only needs to confirm once after the change, not after
    >*every* reboot.

    It's a few years since I used msconfig to disable start-up programs, and
    I seem to recall getting fed up with having to confirm every time you
    rebooted. However, the old memory banks are getting a bit leaky these
    says, and you could well be right. I'll try it again sometime.
    --
    Ian
    Ian Jackson, May 26, 2009