Disabling Driver Signing Enforcement in Vista 64 bit

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by =?Utf-8?B?YnJvY2NvbGliZWVm?=, Nov 8, 2007.

  1. Hi, I am completely new to Vista 64 bit. But I am in the process of
    preparing to install Vista 64 bit onto my rig, so I am doing a lot of
    research.

    Today, I have this question:

    I read and heard that Vista 64 bit requires driver signing, so I wonder if
    this will cause any problem for me to install some beta driver for my Nvidia
    video card? For instance, will I have any problem in installing the latest
    beta driver, 169.04, for my nvidia vid card? Do I have to disable the driver
    signing feature? If so, how to?

    I googled, and I find this method:

    http://www.security-hacks.com/2007/05/07/vista-disable-driver-signing-verification-in-64-bit

    But it is for that current boot session only.

    I also found this method of disabling the driver signing feature:

    http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/1429/vista_disable_digital_driver_signing_enforcement

    Is this method permanent?

    Which one is the right way to disable the driver signing feature? Do you
    recommend disabling driver signing?

    Finally and very importantly, I will also have to use Rivatuner(2.06),
    because I want to OC my vid card--EVGA 8800GTS 640MB. Per Rivatuner's
    ReadMe, for Rivatuner to work properly under Vista 64 bit, I have to disable
    driver signing. So I really need some pointers in telling me the right way
    to properly disable driver signing so that I can run Rivatuner as well as
    install Nvidia's beta drivers!

    Many thanks in advance for your help and/or info!
    =?Utf-8?B?YnJvY2NvbGliZWVm?=, Nov 8, 2007

  2. broccolibeef,
    # 1 - You will have no problems *installing* NVidia Vista drivers in 64 bit,
    whether released or beta. There is no need to disable driver signing.
    # 2 - We do not enforce disabling driver signing in this NG. The method you
    found in www.tech-recipes.com is permanent until you install one of the last
    performance updates. That update will disable all known driver signing
    workarounds, except for the one obtained by pressing F8 during boot. That one
    will last until you reboot.
    # 3 - Rivatuner 2.06 has signed drivers and works fine in Vista x64. I use
    it myself.

    Carlos

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, Nov 8, 2007

  3. Hey, Carlos, thanks for the reply!

    You said, "# 2 - We do not enforce disabling driver signing in this NG." By
    "enforce," you mean "endorse"? If you really meant enforce by "enforce," I
    had NO preconception that this NG forces people to disable driver signing! :D

    You also said, "# 3 - Rivatuner 2.06 has signed drivers and works fine in
    Vista x64. I use it myself."

    Are you sure???? I read both online as well as in RivaTuner's
    Documentation, that driver signing in Vista 64 bit has to be disabled in
    order for RivaTuner to work under Vista 64 bit!

    Here is what is taken out of the "Known Issues" section in "RivaTuner
    Documentation": (RivaTuner 2.06 is currently installed on my Vista Ultimate
    32 bit)

    "RivaTuner's low-level functionality will not be available when driver
    signing enforcement is enabled under Vista x64. You must disable driver
    signing enforcement in order to use full RivaTuner's feature set under Vista
    x64. "

    Thanks very much for all the info! As I've said, I am preparing for the
    installation and use of Vista 64 bit so that I do NOT have any surprises when
    I actually install and/or use it!

    =?Utf-8?B?YnJvY2NvbGliZWVm?=, Nov 8, 2007
  4. broccolibeef,
    Sorry for de "enforce" confusion.
    It is just that my brain works in Spanish and my fingers type in English!
    We do not endorse disabling driver signing.
    It is really a bad idea and opens security holes.
    Leave driver signing on.

    Regarding Rivatuner v2.06 I am positively sure that it has signed drivers
    and works properly on Vista x64.
    I am happily (and slightly) overclocking my MSI8600GTSOC with it.
    I could not do that with Rivatuner v2.03
    As of Rivatuner v2.04 they have signed drivers for Vista 64.
    A third party is providing them so, when you install Rivatuner, you are
    asked to "install additional updates?".
    Answer "Yes". They are already included in the package.
    Rivatuner v2.04 had a bug that prevented that update being read from a
    folder that had spaces in its name.
    That was worked out in v2.05.
    v2.06 works with the 163.69's.
    I have still not updated to NVidia 163.75's because they are not worth the
    effort.
    Happy overclocking!

    Carlos

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, Nov 8, 2007
  5. Thanks again for the clarification, Carlos!

    Since you have so detailed your experience with RivaTuner, I believe what
    you said! :D

    Now I can rest assured that RivaTuner 2.06 will work under Vista 64 bit! :D

    FYI, I will use the current beta version 169.04, not the WHQL one: 163.75.
    I am hoping that the beta driver will give me better performance over the
    WHQL one.

    I am only cautiously OCing my vid card as well! :D I am not an extreme
    OCer! The rationale for my OCing my vid card and CPU is to get the biggest
    bang for the buck!

    Currently, my EVGA 8800GTS 640MB is OCed to 656 Core/1519 Shader/1020
    Memory. It could go higher, but I have not bothered to test my vid card's
    limit.

    My CPU--C2D E6550--is OCed to 3.15Ghz(7x450). I want to go higher, but I
    could not. Either my board--Asus P5K E WiFi--or the CPU itself is limiting
    my OCing the proc further. Or maybe a combination of both is limiting my
    OCing the proc higher.

    No biggie. So far I am contented with what I have! :D

    Since I am completely new to 64 bit computing, will have more questions for
    you and other experienced users in this forum!

    Thanks once again for the replies and info!

    =?Utf-8?B?YnJvY2NvbGliZWVm?=, Nov 8, 2007