    Why would it speed up internet access (if it will)?

    Thanks.

    Jeff

    Guest, Apr 16, 2009

  2. Guest

    smlunatick Guest

    On Apr 16, 5:18 pm, <> wrote:
    > I have a large hosts file
    > (which I obtained fromhttp://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm) in my XP
    > Media Center laptop and it really slows down my internet access.  This
    > apparently is a known
    > problem in XP.  To remedy it, the above site recommends disabling the DNS
    > Client service.
    >
    > Is that really safe or wise to do?
    >
    > As long as I am at home, is there any harmful effect from this?
    >
    > Why would it speed up internet access (if it will)?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Jeff

    DNS client service IS required to resolve the web site urls
    (addresses) You are using the hosts file in hopes to block several
    known "hackware" web sites from truly loading on your PC.

    Also, I would not "rely" on this "revised" hosts file as your security
    protection for blocking known "hackware" spyware softwares. Some
    newer softwares will seek out and replace / remove / clear out the
    hosts file, thus "rendering" this style solution "useless."

    smlunatick, Apr 16, 2009

  3. Guest

    Chuck [MVP] Guest

    On Thu, 16 Apr 2009 12:18:56 -0400, <> wrote:

    >I have a large hosts file
    >(which I obtained from http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm ) in my XP
    >Media Center laptop and it really slows down my internet access. This
    >apparently is a known
    >problem in XP. To remedy it, the above site recommends disabling the DNS
    >Client service.
    >
    >Is that really safe or wise to do?
    >
    >As long as I am at home, is there any harmful effect from this?
    >
    >Why would it speed up internet access (if it will)?
    >
    >Thanks.
    >
    >Jeff

    Jeff,

    Everybody that I've known of with a large Hosts file ends up disabling it.
    Otherwise, as you note, Internet access crawls. BlackViper is the authority on
    services.

    <http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/Services/DNS_Client.htm>
    http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/Services/DNS_Client.htm

    --
    Cheers,
    Chuck, MS-MVP 2005-2008 [Windows - Desktop Experience]

    Chuck [MVP], Apr 16, 2009
  4. Hi
    Knowing the content of the Host File in question, as an alternative, you can
    find (easy, and even free) ways to use Software Firewalls and browser's
    Ad-blocking add-ons, thus reduce significantly the HOST's file size, or
    eliminate it all together.
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

    Jack [MVP-Networking], Apr 17, 2009
  5. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Hi Jack

    I use Zone Alarm firewall and Avast AV. In addition I use Spybot to
    "immunize" - which I believe adds items to the hosts file. I also run both
    Spybot and Ad-aware every so often but all they find are a few cookies. For
    browsing I use Firefox which I believe Spybot does something to during the
    "immunize" process. My Firefox cookies screen has a list of websites from
    where cookies are automatically blocked. Maybe that is doing what the large
    hosts file is doing.

    I have not really had any real problems (no banners or similar) and I am
    therefore not sure I really need that large Hosts file I got from the
    mvps.org site, but then I am no expert. I thought using that hosts file
    might be cost free safety, but it so slowed down things that I needed to
    follow their advice and disable the DNS Client service. So now I wonder
    whether it might not be smarter to just go back to the way things were:
    smaller hosts file and restore DNS Client service.

    Does that make sense?

    Jeff

    Guest, Apr 17, 2009
  6. Guest

    Guest Guest

    > On Thu, 16 Apr 2009 12:18:56 -0400, <> wrote:
    >
    >> I have a large hosts file
    >> (which I obtained from http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm )
    >> in my XP Media Center laptop and it really slows down my internet
    >> access. This apparently is a known
    >> problem in XP. To remedy it, the above site recommends disabling
    >> the DNS Client service.
    >>
    >> Is that really safe or wise to do?
    >>
    >> As long as I am at home, is there any harmful effect from this?
    >>
    >> Why would it speed up internet access (if it will)?
    >>
    >> Thanks.
    >>
    >> Jeff

    > Jeff,
    >
    > Everybody that I've known of with a large Hosts file ends up
    > disabling it. Otherwise, as you note, Internet access crawls.
    > BlackViper is the authority on services.
    >
    > <http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/Services/DNS_Client.htm>
    > http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/Services/DNS_Client.htm

    Thanks Chuck. The thing is I've had no problems with banners and the like.
    I use Spybot and Ad-aware for years and all they find are a few tracking
    cookies. I use Zone Alarm free firewall, wireless router, and browse with
    Firefox 99% of the time - which automatically blocks numerous unsafe
    cookies.

    I only installed the large mvps hosts file because I was concerned after
    reading that some tracking groups like "omniture", "Revenue Science", and
    the like might track you without your being aware. But maybe these are
    already filtered when Spybot "immunizes" my browser and I do not need to go
    the route of the huge hosts file. And I am not that comfortable disabling
    the DNS Client.

    Would I be wrong to get rid of the huge hosts and go back to the way things
    were? Maybe the blocked cookies in my Firefox browser are doing essentially
    the same thing without the problems of a large hosts and disabled FNS
    Client.

    What do you think?

    Jeff

    Guest, Apr 17, 2009
  7. Guest

    Chuck [MVP] Guest

    On Fri, 17 Apr 2009 00:19:28 -0400, <> wrote:

    >> On Thu, 16 Apr 2009 12:18:56 -0400, <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have a large hosts file
    >>> (which I obtained from http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm )
    >>> in my XP Media Center laptop and it really slows down my internet
    >>> access. This apparently is a known
    >>> problem in XP. To remedy it, the above site recommends disabling
    >>> the DNS Client service.
    >>>
    >>> Is that really safe or wise to do?
    >>>
    >>> As long as I am at home, is there any harmful effect from this?
    >>>
    >>> Why would it speed up internet access (if it will)?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks.
    >>>
    >>> Jeff

    >> Jeff,
    >>
    >> Everybody that I've known of with a large Hosts file ends up
    >> disabling it. Otherwise, as you note, Internet access crawls.
    >> BlackViper is the authority on services.
    >>
    >> <http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/Services/DNS_Client.htm>
    >> http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/Services/DNS_Client.htm

    >Thanks Chuck. The thing is I've had no problems with banners and the like.
    >I use Spybot and Ad-aware for years and all they find are a few tracking
    >cookies. I use Zone Alarm free firewall, wireless router, and browse with
    >Firefox 99% of the time - which automatically blocks numerous unsafe
    >cookies.
    >
    >I only installed the large mvps hosts file because I was concerned after
    >reading that some tracking groups like "omniture", "Revenue Science", and
    >the like might track you without your being aware. But maybe these are
    >already filtered when Spybot "immunizes" my browser and I do not need to go
    >the route of the huge hosts file. And I am not that comfortable disabling
    >the DNS Client.
    >
    >Would I be wrong to get rid of the huge hosts and go back to the way things
    >were? Maybe the blocked cookies in my Firefox browser are doing essentially
    >the same thing without the problems of a large hosts and disabled FNS
    >Client.
    >
    >What do you think?
    >
    >Jeff

    Since you ask, the Hosts file blocking is kind of out of date now. Online site
    evaluation databases make more sense, as they are always up to date. I use
    McAfee Site Advisor, which installs as a browser add-on.

    http://networking.nitecruzr.net/2008/09/online-analysis-of-suspicious-websites.html

    Chuck [MVP], Apr 18, 2009
  8. Guest

    Guest Guest

    >>> Jeff,
    >>>
    >>> Everybody that I've known of with a large Hosts file ends up
    >>> disabling it. Otherwise, as you note, Internet access crawls.
    >>> BlackViper is the authority on services.
    >>>
    >>> <http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/Services/DNS_Client.htm>
    >>> http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/Services/DNS_Client.htm

    >> Thanks Chuck. The thing is I've had no problems with banners and
    >> the like. I use Spybot and Ad-aware for years and all they find are
    >> a few tracking cookies. I use Zone Alarm free firewall, wireless
    >> router, and browse with Firefox 99% of the time - which
    >> automatically blocks numerous unsafe cookies.
    >>
    >> I only installed the large mvps hosts file because I was concerned
    >> after reading that some tracking groups like "omniture", "Revenue
    >> Science", and the like might track you without your being aware. But
    >> maybe these are already filtered when Spybot "immunizes" my browser
    >> and I do not need to go the route of the huge hosts file. And I am
    >> not that comfortable disabling the DNS Client.
    >>
    >> Would I be wrong to get rid of the huge hosts and go back to the way
    >> things were? Maybe the blocked cookies in my Firefox browser are
    >> doing essentially the same thing without the problems of a large
    >> hosts and disabled FNS Client.
    >>
    >> What do you think?
    >>
    >> Jeff

    > Since you ask, the Hosts file blocking is kind of out of date now.
    > Online site evaluation databases make more sense, as they are always
    > up to date. I use McAfee Site Advisor, which installs as a browser
    > add-on.
    >
    > http://networking.nitecruzr.net/2008/09/online-analysis-of-suspicious-websites.html

    Thank you.

    Jeff

    Guest, Apr 18, 2009
  9. Hi
    Unless there is some very specific files that need to be block it is better
    to use Ad Blocking Ad-Ons the the Browser rather than an inflated Host file.
    In case of Firefox this is a very useful Ad-On,
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

    Jack [MVP-Networking], Apr 19, 2009
  10. Guest

    Guest Guest