    But enabled, it kicks on and off...I don't know the mechanics of it. Hope
    you can understand what I'm trying to ask :)
    Thanks

    Monica, May 26, 2005

  2. Monica

    PC Guest

    "Monica" <> wrote in message
    news:K2hle.4369$%Z2.1771@lakeread08...
    > When you disable (via the OS) a hard drive, shouldn't it NOT make any
    > sound?
    > My old backup drive that I just put in my new computer is really loud. I
    > disabled it and it still "hums". In fact, I don't think it ever stopped.
    > But enabled, it kicks on and off...I don't know the mechanics of it. Hope
    > you can understand what I'm trying to ask :)
    > Thanks

    Monica

    If I understand it correctly "Disabled" is merely 'Disconnected from
    Windows' i.e. it is a 'logical' disconnection.
    Put another way Windows has been told to 'ignore' it.
    The Drive is still physically powered up and as you have found consuming
    power and making it's normal amount of 'noise'.
    You can set your hard disks (note diskS) to power down in the Power Options
    of Control Panel withing 3 minutes, but they will powerup again as soon as
    you move the mouse/touch the keyboard.

    The only way I know of to 'Disable' it in the sense that you seem to require
    is to remove the power plug from the back of the drive.

    Cheers
    Paul.

    PC, May 26, 2005

  3. Monica

    Monica Guest

    Thanks Paul. Sometimes the backup drive is quiet and accessing the drive
    (or even the Internet) will cause it to power up/start spinning. Is this
    the way the drive is supposed to react/work? Or as long as it's plugged
    into the power supply, it spins?
    Monica

    Monica, May 26, 2005
  4. Monica

    MrGrumpy Guest

    A noisy hd can often be a sign of the hd failing, particularly if it used to
    be quite.
    Your hd manu.web site will usually have a disk checking utility, you might
    want to test it

    MrGrumpy, May 26, 2005
  5. Monica

    mhicaoidh Guest

    Taking a moment's reflection, PC mused:

    | You can set your hard disks (note diskS) to power down in the Power
    | Options of Control Panel withing 3 minutes, but they will powerup
    | again as soon as you move the mouse/touch the keyboard.

    This isn't necessarily the case. I have 3 drives in my system
    currently, and they are all set to power down after 1 hour of
    inactivity. The main drive, of course, never really powers down because
    it is always being accessed. However, after 1 hour of using the system,
    but not using the other two drives, I can hear them spin down. They do
    not spin back up unless I browse to the drives specifically, or open a
    window that has a shortcut linked to one of the drives.

    mhicaoidh, May 26, 2005
  6. Monica

    PC Guest

    "Monica" <> wrote in message
    > Thanks Paul. Sometimes the backup drive is quiet and accessing the drive
    > (or even the Internet) will cause it to power up/start spinning. Is this
    > the way the drive is supposed to react/work? Or as long as it's plugged
    > into the power supply, it spins?
    > Monica
    > "PC" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Monica" <> wrote in message
    >>> When you disable (via the OS) a hard drive, shouldn't it NOT make any
    >>> sound?
    >>> My old backup drive that I just put in my new computer is really loud.
    >>> disabled it and it still "hums". In fact, I don't think it ever
    >>> stopped.
    >>> But enabled, it kicks on and off...I don't know the mechanics of it.
    >>> Hope
    >>> you can understand what I'm trying to ask :)
    >>> Thanks
    >>>

    >> Monica
    >>
    >> If I understand it correctly "Disabled" is merely 'Disconnected from
    >> Windows' i.e. it is a 'logical' disconnection.
    >> Put another way Windows has been told to 'ignore' it.
    >> The Drive is still physically powered up and as you have found consuming
    >> power and making it's normal amount of 'noise'.
    >> You can set your hard disks (note diskS) to power down in the Power
    >> Options of Control Panel withing 3 minutes, but they will powerup again
    >> as soon as you move the mouse/touch the keyboard.
    >>
    >> The only way I know of to 'Disable' it in the sense that you seem to
    >> require is to remove the power plug from the back of the drive.
    >>
    >> Cheers
    >> Paul.

    Monica

    "mhicaoidh" further down describes how his second and third drives power
    down and stay so until they are accessed.
    I must admit I set my drives to spin all the time on the basis the 'spin up'
    places the greatest strain on the drive motor so I had not 'done the detail'
    so to speak.

    From mhicaoidh's description it is reasonable to expect your old backup
    drive to stay mute until it is accessed, it would appear however opening
    your Brower calls for some data that is on that drive, hence the drive
    starts when you open your Browser.

    Perhaps what is more important is the fact that the drive is 'Loud'
    This 'loudness' would suggest the drive is getting tired and near the end of
    its life, the disk manufacturers diagnostics may pick up faults, but if it
    is the bearings getting noisy the diagnostics may not pick faults up until
    the drive is near seizing anyway.

    I would be backing the contents up and replacing the drive as a matter of
    urgency.

    Cheers
    Paul.

    PC, May 27, 2005