Disable Wireless does Not Work on Laptop

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by MapleE., Dec 11, 2007.

  1. MapleE.

    MapleE. Guest

    Hi:
    I disabled Wireless on my Laptop in order to get Internet Connection
    to the brand new PC with Vista. Because, my ISP, Comcast allows
    only 5 Internet Connection.

    I still can NOT get Internet Connection on the brand PC with Vista
    even though I put the Laptop in the shed of my backyard, with disable.

    The Laptop is built-in Wireless Connection and there are an option to
    get a second IP, but I hesitate to do that.

    Wonder whether 'disable' function of Laptop does not work due to
    'built-in' feature?

    How to disable completely in order to accomodate Internet Connection in
    the brand new PC?

    Thanks for any help.

    MapleE., Dec 11, 2007

  2. MapleE.

    Barb Bowman Guest

    first of all, Comcast does not limit you to 5 connections. if you
    have an all in one modem/router on the Comcast Home Networking
    product tier, reboot it by unplugging it and plugging it in again.
    if you don't have this specific hardware, what exactly is connected
    to the cable modem?

    Your problem with the Vista computer is probably something totally
    unrelated to the above. But unless you post details, it is
    impossible to accurately give suggestions.

    What is the new machine plugged into - or is it wireless? Please
    post the text output of

    ipconfig /all

    run this from a command prompt (programs, accessories, command
    prompt)

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP

    Barb Bowman, Dec 11, 2007

  3. Hi
    Without dealing with the totality of the story since it is Not clear enough
    to make a judgment.
    If there is No physical mean to stop the Wireless drill down to the Laptop
    Device manger right click on the Wireless Adaptor entry, and click disable.
    http://www.ezlan.net/network/GhostNIC.jpg
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Dec 11, 2007
  4. MapleE.

    Spring06 Guest

    Thanks for the response.

    It's wireless. The PC is Compaq Presario PC, 2 GB ram and
    250GB Hard Drive with Vista Home Premium.

    On Device Manager, there is NO Adapter seen although I put
    Linsky with Speed on the back of the PC.

    I did 'disable' in the Laptop, ... but Comcast thinks I still using it, that
    seems causing the problem, because there are only 5 Internet Connections
    allowed. If a brand pc with Vista, there would be 6 Internet Connections,
    then Comcast seems blocking connection to the new PC.

    Then, if I could disconnect/disable Internet Connection in the Laptop, I am
    able to get Internet in the brand PC with Vista. Also, most of time, we're
    using only two or three PC at the time and the rest of PCs are idling to not
    be actively using.

    Also, I performed as following your suggestion, ... but didn't get any.

    Thanks,

    Spring06, Dec 11, 2007
  5. MapleE.

    Barb Bowman Guest

    You did not answer all my questions.

    do you have an all in one device or not? does the device have coax
    going into it and ethernet ports on it or not? if you have a Comcast
    Home Networking Gateway, you are no longer limited to 5 simultaneous
    devices. And as I've said, this is NOT your problem.

    answer the questions above and post the text output of

    ipconfig /all

    run from a cmd prompt.

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP

    Barb Bowman, Dec 11, 2007
  6. MapleE.

    Barb Bowman Guest

    You've posted two very different sets of answers in 2 separate
    threads. Change the channel for the wireless to try mitigate the 2.4
    GHz phone problem.

    wrote:

    >Thanks for the response.
    >
    >It's wireless. The PC is Compaq Presario PC, 2 GB ram and
    >250GB Hard Drive with Vista Home Premium.
    >
    >On Device Manager, there is NO Adapter seen although I put
    >Linsky with Speed on the back of the PC.
    >
    >I did 'disable' in the Laptop, ... but Comcast thinks I still using it, that
    >seems causing the problem, because there are only 5 Internet Connections
    >allowed. If a brand pc with Vista, there would be 6 Internet Connections,
    >then Comcast seems blocking connection to the new PC.
    >
    >Then, if I could disconnect/disable Internet Connection in the Laptop, I am
    >able to get Internet in the brand PC with Vista. Also, most of time, we're
    >using only two or three PC at the time and the rest of PCs are idling to not
    >be actively using.
    >
    >Also, I performed as following your suggestion, ... but didn't get any.
    >
    >Thanks,
    >

    >Barb Bowman" <> wrote in message
    >> first of all, Comcast does not limit you to 5 connections. if you
    >> have an all in one modem/router on the Comcast Home Networking
    >> product tier, reboot it by unplugging it and plugging it in again.
    >> if you don't have this specific hardware, what exactly is connected
    >> to the cable modem?
    >>
    >> Your problem with the Vista computer is probably something totally
    >> unrelated to the above. But unless you post details, it is
    >> impossible to accurately give suggestions.
    >>
    >> What is the new machine plugged into - or is it wireless? Please
    >> post the text output of
    >>
    >> ipconfig /all
    >>
    >> run this from a command prompt (programs, accessories, command
    >> prompt)
    >>
    >> On Tue, 11 Dec 2007 10:21:52 -0500, "MapleE." <someone|@comcast.net>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hi:
    >>>I disabled Wireless on my Laptop in order to get Internet Connection
    >>>to the brand new PC with Vista. Because, my ISP, Comcast allows
    >>>only 5 Internet Connection.
    >>>
    >>>I still can NOT get Internet Connection on the brand PC with Vista
    >>>even though I put the Laptop in the shed of my backyard, with disable.
    >>>
    >>>The Laptop is built-in Wireless Connection and there are an option to
    >>>get a second IP, but I hesitate to do that.
    >>>
    >>>Wonder whether 'disable' function of Laptop does not work due to
    >>>'built-in' feature?
    >>>
    >>>How to disable completely in order to accomodate Internet Connection in
    >>>the brand new PC?
    >>>
    >>>Thanks for any help.
    >>>

    >> --
    >>
    >> Barb Bowman
    >> MS Windows-MVP

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP

    Barb Bowman, Dec 11, 2007
  7. MapleE.

    Spring06 Guest

    Thanks for all the help.

    After ipconfig/all, the Internet came to the screen.

    We're so happy, ... but as a note,

    According to the Comcast rep./tech., there are ONLY 5 Internet Connections
    allowed. If more than 5, then we/the family needs to subscribe another IP by
    paying a brand set of payment, around $47. Two IPs cost around $100.

    We live in the East Coast.

    Many thanks,

    >>> http://blogs.digitalmediaphile.com/barb/

    Spring06, Dec 11, 2007
  8. MapleE.

    Spring06 Guest

    Jack, MVP:

    We're very new to all of Wireless, not to mention, Home-Networking.

    We're totally depending on Comcast tech., one is good but not all are
    proficient enough to deal with tricky issues. Then, we came here to ask.

    As to 'disable,' we both did 'disable,' by clicking Icon/tiny PC Icon, but
    Internet Connection is still activating.

    One thing over which we concern is whether we can get back to the original-
    setting, "Able,' when we need one if we follow your instruction by accessing
    Device Manager.

    Thanks,

    Spring06, Dec 11, 2007
  9. MapleE.

    Barb Bowman Guest

    For the third (and last) time, what device do you have in your home
    from Comcast? If you have a Comcast Home Networking all in one
    device, it is either a Linksys or Netgear or possibly RCA cable home
    gateway. If you would PLEASE post what hardware you have. If you do
    not supply this information, then I am not going to waste my time
    replying again.

    The pricing info you list below is totally wrong.

    Go to
    and read the biographical info at the top of the page. You will see
    where I work.

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP

    Barb Bowman, Dec 11, 2007
  10. MapleE.

    Spring06 Guest

    Thanks for the response.

    It's Netgear that combines Router and Modem, because this, one device
    provides wireless connection to all of PCs and Laptop. This device was
    installed professionally by Comcast tech. Seems to me this device is
    All-in-One, because there is only one device that faciliates Wireless
    Connection to all PCs in our household.

    For detail: (I found a box of Netgear that Comcast tech. left upon
    completion
    of installation).

    CG814WGCOM NETGEAR
    S/N *1F437A1T02F29*
    CM MAC. *001B2F870E74*
    WAN-MAN MAC: *001B2F870E76*
    WAN-DATA MAC: *001B2F870E77*

    Currently, we'are paying $47.50 per month for the High-Speed Internet
    Connection.

    Spring06, Dec 11, 2007
  11. MapleE.

    Barb Bowman Guest

    yes. and that device is no longer limited to 5 simultaneous
    connections. That 47.50 will cover everything. You do not have to
    pay again or get another device to add computers. 2 IPs do NOT cost
    double that/$100.

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP

    Barb Bowman, Dec 11, 2007
  12. MapleE.

    Spring06 Guest

    Thanks again.
    It's very terrific news for us, a whole household, if there is no additional
    cost. However, according to rep./tech of Comcast that occurred only
    last night and he kept insisting about 2 IPs and double the cost, close to
    $100.

    This Friday, 14th of Dec., Comcast tech. is scheduled to come to our
    house for this to solve, .... saying that he puts 'splitter.'

    Maybe, I show him your response,below in order to get 'a good deal.'

    Spring06, Dec 11, 2007
  13. Hi
    Yes you can always enable the Device by right clinking again and click
    Enable.
    As for Comcast, for good or bad, that is how the commerce system works.
    In most cases we have two options.
    1. Learn the issues concern a New Topic that comes into our live.
    2. Pay some one else to do it for us.
    Number 2 is always substantially more expensive and at times would provide a
    solution that is better for the provider rather than in our favor.
    In general most of End-User in the US has One IP that provides Internet
    Service to the users of the household.
    If you want to spent some time reading, this site provides a lot of
    information suitable for End_Users, http://www.ezlan.net
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Dec 11, 2007
  14. MapleE.

    Barb Bowman Guest

    Jack,
    Comcast offers a home networking product that
    1. is a single mode/router device
    2. provides a single IP to the WAN
    3. provides wireless/wired connections via DHCP via private class
    addressing
    4. The original products was limited to 5 PRIVATE class IPS
    5. Within the past 60 days, that was changed and it is now the full
    private class 192.168.0.x

    Time Warner, Cox, and Charter offer similar devices and programs.

    Barb Bowman, Dec 12, 2007
  15. MapleE.

    Barb Bowman Guest

    send the person you talk to on the phone to
    http://www.comcast.net/help/faq/index.jsp?faq=Connection118646

    explain that while the installer will only "set up" up to 5
    computers, a single device supports a LOT more connections.

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP

    Barb Bowman, Dec 12, 2007
  16. Hi Barb.
    Thanks for the info.
    I was aware that some providers provides Modem/Routers that are configured
    to few IPs and do not provide info about the configuration of the Routers.
    I was no aware that few of them lifted the "Ban".
    Thanks.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Dec 12, 2007
  17. MapleE.

    Barb Bowman Guest

    I know Comcast has changed this. I don't know about the others.

    On Wed, 12 Dec 2007 17:18:57 -0500, "Jack \(MVP-Networking\)."
    <> wrote:

    >Hi Barb.
    >Thanks for the info.
    >I was aware that some providers provides Modem/Routers that are configured
    >to few IPs and do not provide info about the configuration of the Routers.
    >I was no aware that few of them lifted the "Ban".
    >Thanks.
    >Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >
    >"Barb Bowman" <> wrote in message
    >> Jack,
    >> Comcast offers a home networking product that
    >> 1. is a single mode/router device
    >> 2. provides a single IP to the WAN
    >> 3. provides wireless/wired connections via DHCP via private class
    >> addressing
    >> 4. The original products was limited to 5 PRIVATE class IPS
    >> 5. Within the past 60 days, that was changed and it is now the full
    >> private class 192.168.0.x
    >>
    >> Time Warner, Cox, and Charter offer similar devices and programs.
    >>

    >> On Tue, 11 Dec 2007 17:16:13 -0500, "Jack \(MVP-Networking\)."
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>In general most of End-User in the US has One IP that provides Internet
    >>>Service to the users of the household.

    >> --
    >>
    >> Barb Bowman
    >> MS Windows-MVP