    is a Dell Inspiron.

    Is there anyway (or is this possible)?

    Thanks in advance.
    =?Utf-8?B?YnJvbnhiYWJl?=, Oct 7, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?YnJvbnhiYWJl?=

    LittleMoo Guest

    Just so long as you don't connect to those unsecured networks then you don't
    have anything to worry about, only connect to yours and make sure that you
    have WEP or WPA enabled on it.

    You also realize that if you disable your wifi on your laptop, if you use a
    wireless network at your house then you won't be able to use it anymore?

    If you still want to disable it go to Control Panel -> Network Connections.
    Right click on the one that says Wireless Network Connection and choose
    Disable.

    -Dan

    LittleMoo, Oct 7, 2006

  3. If your running XP you can configure Wireless Zero Configuration to *NOT*
    connect to non-preferred networks. That works well for me...

    http://tinyurl.com/krjwt

    In the example I have my laptop configured for three networks I regualarly
    connect to including my own, N4RF...

    --

    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    mutual benefit of all of us...
    rights...

    Sooner Al [MVP], Oct 7, 2006
  4. Hi
    Uninstall any Wireless related utility, and similar services. Many Laptops
    come with an array of "software" that is Wireless related, and is loaded at
    startup by default.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Oct 7, 2006
  5. =?Utf-8?B?YnJvbnhiYWJl?=

    Pavel A. Guest

    "bronxbabe" <> wrote in message news:...
    >I would like to know if there is any way to disable my laptop's wifi. I
    > don't want to be able to pick up other unsecured networks to surf internet.
    > I went into Device Manager and disabled it, but upon boot, it is enabled
    > again. Also, I'm unable to remove the card since it's internal. The laptop
    > is a Dell Inspiron.
    >
    > Is there anyway (or is this possible)?

    This is strange. AFAIK if you disable it in dev. manager, nothing in standard WinXP can
    re-enable it - unless Windows crashed and rebooted with last known good config.
    I would ask Dell support whether some their bundled utility can do this.

    Also you can turn off the radio. Most notebooks have some switch or Fn key that
    disables wireless radio. This is intended exactly for situations when software
    could break out of control.

    Regards,
    --PA
    Pavel A., Oct 7, 2006
  6. I'll try this and see what happens. The reason for this is that I don't want
    my son to use the internet excessively. So, I disconnected my wireless
    router, but he is able to pick a neighbor's linksys (unsecured) signal and
    surf.

    =?Utf-8?B?YnJvbnhiYWJl?=, Oct 8, 2006
  7. I don't want it to connect to my home network or my neighbor's. I don't want
    the laptop to be able to connect to the internet AT ALL.

    Thanks again,

    =?Utf-8?B?YnJvbnhiYWJl?=, Oct 8, 2006
  8. That is a bit different from what I thought your original intent was...

    In that case I suggest you setup your son as a limited user and use parental
    control software on the laptop to control his access to both the PC and the
    public internet. You might check with your ISP because they may provide that
    for free or at a reduced cost. Here is how I did that as one example...

    NetNanny is another solution...note there are other commercial solutions
    like this...

    http://www.netnanny.com/p/page?sb=product

    The MS Shared Computer Toolkit may also work for you...

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sharedaccess/default.mspx

    Sooner Al [MVP], Oct 8, 2006
  9. =?Utf-8?B?YnJvbnhiYWJl?=

    Rich Guest

    On Sun, 8 Oct 2006 06:14:54 -0500, "Sooner Al [MVP]"
    <> wrote:

    >That is a bit different from what I thought your original intent was...
    >
    >In that case I suggest you setup your son as a limited user and use parental
    >control software on the laptop to control his access to both the PC and the
    >public internet. You might check with your ISP because they may provide that
    >for free or at a reduced cost. Here is how I did that as one example...
    >
    >http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,13574572
    >
    >NetNanny is another solution...note there are other commercial solutions
    >like this...
    >
    >http://www.netnanny.com/p/page?sb=product
    >
    >The MS Shared Computer Toolkit may also work for you...
    >
    >http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sharedaccess/default.mspx

    all good ideas that you should look at. but how about a low tech
    solution like taking away the laptop and/or exercising a bit of
    parental discipline? how abour alerting the neighbor to what's going
    on and assisting him, if needed, in securing his system?

    73,
    rich, n9dko
    Rich, Oct 8, 2006
  10. The key here is that he's not using my ISP. I disconnected my router, etc.
    He's apparently picking up a neighbor's [unsecured] linksys signal. That's
    how he's surfing. I've disabled wireless networking, went into properties,
    advanced, auto-connect, etc. but... he's still surfing. i'm quite sure
    there has to be a way of disabling his internal wireless card.

    Thanks again,

    =?Utf-8?B?YnJvbnhiYWJl?=, Oct 10, 2006
  11. (1) the laptop IS needed for school work; (2) he's not going to any
    inappropriate content sites; and (3) he's just spending too much time surfing
    while i'm at work and not getting his work done in a timely manner. Also, i
    don't know which neighbors' network is unsecured since there are several
    houses surrounding us.

    Thanks again,

    =?Utf-8?B?YnJvbnhiYWJl?=, Oct 10, 2006
  12. =?Utf-8?B?YnJvbnhiYWJl?=

    Dana Guest

    "bronxbabe" <> wrote in message
    > (1) the laptop IS needed for school work; (2) he's not going to any
    > inappropriate content sites; and (3) he's just spending too much time

    surfing
    > while i'm at work and not getting his work done in a timely manner. Also,

    > don't know which neighbors' network is unsecured since there are several
    > houses surrounding us.

    1) disable the laptop wireless adapter.
    If your kid has admin rights to the laptop, he can change it back.
    2)identify which neighbor has the wireless router and ask him to put some
    security on it.
    3)At a certain time everyday say 10pm lock take the laptop away from the
    kid, homework should be done by then:) But you said you are at work so that
    may be difficult.

    As for the range of the wireless from the neighbor, unless he is trying to
    make his router a public access point, he/she must be one of your closer
    neighbors. You can ask your neighbors who has the wireless router and ask
    them to put some security on it. You can remind them that anyone can grab
    access to their network and use their dime to surf the web. As for your kid
    I would use what he was going to get for allowance, or if he does not get
    allowance and has a job, collect some money from him/her to give to the
    neighbor for using their internet access.

    Dana, Oct 10, 2006
  13. =?Utf-8?B?YnJvbnhiYWJl?=

    Pavel A. Guest

    "bronxbabe" <> wrote in message news:...
    > The key here is that he's not using my ISP. I disconnected my router, etc.
    > He's apparently picking up a neighbor's [unsecured] linksys signal. That's
    > how he's surfing. I've disabled wireless networking, went into properties,
    > advanced, auto-connect, etc. but... he's still surfing. i'm quite sure
    > there has to be a way of disabling his internal wireless card.

    Well... actually, even when the internal card is disabled, or removed at all,
    it still is possible to surf. If you've got a smart kid and a decent laptop :)

    --PA
    Pavel A., Oct 11, 2006
  14. "bronxbabe" <> wrote in message
    > I'll try this and see what happens. The reason for this is that I don't
    > want
    > my son to use the internet excessively. So, I disconnected my wireless
    > router, but he is able to pick a neighbor's linksys (unsecured) signal and
    > surf.

    Edit the profile of the neighbour's network on your own computer, add a
    password to it when he isn't looking and then keep it. When your laptop
    tries to connect, it wont because the password you put in isn't accepted at
    the neighbour's router. Works for me.

    This will only work if your son doesn't know how to fix that which is easy
    to do.

    You cannot actually disable your wi-fi if it is inbuilt if your son knows
    how to enable it again though. All you can do is go ask the neighbour to
    password their network as officially your son is stealing from them.
    Diamontina Cocktail, Oct 11, 2006
  15. "bronxbabe" <> wrote in message
    > (1) the laptop IS needed for school work; (2) he's not going to any
    > inappropriate content sites; and (3) he's just spending too much time
    > surfing
    > while i'm at work and not getting his work done in a timely manner. Also,
    > don't know which neighbors' network is unsecured since there are several
    > houses surrounding us.

    Then you have only this answer and it again depends on how knowledgeable
    your son is:

    1) Assign him a LOGON ID for him to use. Put a password on the normal one
    and don't tell him what the password is. Make HIS account a LIMITED one.

    2) On his account, disable access to Control Panel so he cant get in there
    to fix anything.

    3) On your account when he isn't allowed on Internet, disable wi-fi.

    4) Boot into Safe Mode and make sure the Administrator account is ALSO
    passworded so he cant use it to change everything back again.

    Now when doing this, please note that you still have a WIRED network port
    and a DIAL UP networking port on your computer. You will have to disable
    both of them as well.

    All of the above are now MUCH HARDER for him to get around but it still CAN
    be gotten around by him if he knows a lot about computers. Only you know how
    good he is with them.
    Diamontina Cocktail, Oct 11, 2006
  16. =?Utf-8?B?YnJvbnhiYWJl?=

    jack0007

    Joined:
    Mar 14, 2010
    Messages:
    1
    Use Parental Control Software

    I will suggest to use any parental control software to come out of this problem. When it comes to parental control software I highly recommend either K9 or Loving Eye. Both provide exceptional tracking abilities and if this you need, you should check them both out.
    jack0007, Mar 14, 2010