    If I do this will it use all the amount of RAM at all times?

    This actually refures back to the post "MAX RAM for Win98"

    Has anybody tried this before. I'll try it out and let you guys know.
    natural_4u, Sep 15, 2003

  2. natural_4u

    Bret Guest

    On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 09:24:15 GMT, "natural_4u" <> wrote:

    >If I do this will it use all the amount of RAM at all times?
    >
    >This actually refures back to the post "MAX RAM for Win98"
    >
    >Has anybody tried this before. I'll try it out and let you guys know.

    Create a ram drive and use that for the swap file?
    Bret, Sep 15, 2003

  3. natural_4u

    natural_4u Guest

    That was going to be my next question...
    has anyone tried setting up a permanent RAM drive before?

    natural_4u, Sep 15, 2003
  4. natural_4u

    AG Guest

    "natural_4u" <> wrote in message
    > If I do this will it use all the amount of RAM at all times?
    >
    > This actually refures back to the post "MAX RAM for Win98"
    >
    > Has anybody tried this before. I'll try it out and let you guys know.

    I have known a couple of people that have played around with it. After a
    while they all quit and went back to regular Disk virtual memory. There are
    or were some web pages about it. Try Googling it.
    AG
    AG, Sep 17, 2003
  5. natural_4u

    Pat Guest

    "natural_4u" <> wrote in message
    > That was going to be my next question...
    > has anyone tried setting up a permanent RAM drive before?

    We used to do it frequently in 16-bit windows, the partition, temp folder,
    and once Netscape was around, it's cache folder all went to the RAM drive.
    It did make a noticable difference, but the drives of that time were also
    much slower. I remember having the entire DOS directory also copied to the
    ramdrive in autoexec.bat on some machines with the paths and comspec pointed
    to it so it wouldn't need to hit the HDD afterward. I remember doing a lot
    of rather strange things when memory mapping was still the fun way to spend
    an evening.

    If you have the RAM and it's not usable by the system, there's no harm in
    playing with such things. I don't think it'll make much difference on a
    modern machine with a fairly recent OS, if you're at the limit of it's
    usable RAM it probably doesn't access the drive too often for virtual memory
    anyway.
    Pat, Oct 2, 2003