    can't get into your system via your phone line router connection?

    TIA

    B.W.

    B.W., Oct 23, 2006

  2. B.W.

    Malke Guest

    B.W. wrote:

    > Newbee question. I have read one should disconnect from the Internet
    > when
    > not using it. Is this only for people who leave their computers on
    > permanently. Surely if you switch off your PC then someone from
    > outside can't get into your system via your phone line router
    > connection?

    You have good common sense. If the computer is off, it is off! If you
    aren't protected with a firewall and antivirus and practicing "Safe
    Hex", then you will be infected very quickly when you are online. I'm
    not sure what a "phone line router" is, but you don't need to turn off
    a regular router used with cable or dsl and you should turn off your
    cable/dsl modem, either.

    Safe Hex:

    http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=27971 - So How Did I Get
    Infected Anyway?
    http://wiki.castlecops.com/Malware_Removal_and_Prevention:_Introduction
    http://www.claymania.com/safe-hex.html
    http://www.aumha.org/a/parasite.htm - The Parasite Fight
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/harrywaldron/archive/2006/02/05/82584.aspx - MVP
    Harry Waldron - The Family PC - How to stay safe on the Internet
    http://www.spywarewarrior.com/rogue_anti-spyware.htm - Eric Howes on
    Rogue Antispyware Programs

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

    Malke, Oct 24, 2006

  3. B.W.

    B.W. Guest

    Thanks Malke, but at then end you say I should or shouldn't turn off my adsl
    modem? Not sure what you mean!

    TIA

    B.W.

    B.W., Oct 24, 2006
  4. B.W.

    Malke Guest

    B.W. wrote:

    > Thanks Malke, but at then end you say I should or shouldn't turn off
    > my adsl modem? Not sure what you mean!

    Typo! Sorry about that - as you cleverly intuited, I *meant* to say you
    should *not* turn off your DSL modem.

    Cheers,

    Malke

    Malke, Oct 24, 2006
  5. Hi

    There is No big theory behind it.

    If you leave them On they just sit idle, and waste electricity In places
    like NYC, at the end of the month it can be reflected in the $$$ amount).
    However, the Internet connection is kept alive, and available immediately
    when you switch the computer On.

    If you turn the DSL Modem, and Router Off, you save on the electrical bill,
    but you have the wait a little when you switch the system On in the sequence
    Modem, Router, Computer.

    Therefore, there is No good-bad, right-wrong, what ever you personally
    prefer would be OK.

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Oct 24, 2006
  6. B.W.

    B.W. Guest

    Thanks Jack, it was more in the line of security I was concerned about as to
    whether these things should be on or not.

    B.W.

    B.W., Oct 24, 2006
  7. B.W.

    Homer Jay Guest

    Just out of interest, how much $$$ would (theoretically) be saved by
    powering off modem and router when not in use? Do they use a large amount of
    power, or is it a small amount that over the course of a year is not really
    all that much.

    Homer Jay, Oct 24, 2006
  8. Hi

    No, it is not as much.

    It probably takes about 40W, assuming that I end up that in average it is
    Off for 10 hours every 24 hours, then keeping the units Off, saves 400WH for
    a day (0.4KWH) or 15KWH per month. Given the total cost of electricity, it
    amounts in my "neck in the woods" to saving of $3 to $4 a month.

    $4 is negligible in the scope of my expenses (E.g. I pay $420 a month for
    Car Parking). However, I gain nothing from keeping the devices On.

    When you try to summarize the reasons that people gives for keeping their
    system always On, it looks like 90% of the reasons amount to a Social need.
    I.e it is perceived “Macho” by many to be able to state: “I keep my system
    On 24/7”. LOL, I am too old for Macho ;).

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Oct 24, 2006