    And what about the warnings in http://grc.com/UnPnP/UnPnP.htm. Are
    these warning still valid? If so then what should or should not be
    running?

    Franky, Aug 20, 2004

  2. Franky

    Jim Watt Guest

    On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 17:01:36 +0100, Franky <>
    wrote:

    >I quite like the idea of Plug and Play where I can put in some new
    >hardware and XP will discover what it is and offer to install the
    >right drivers.
    >
    >This seems to work on my system even though in Local Component
    >Services I have got "Universal Plug and Play Device Host" set to be
    >disabled.
    >
    >Am I confusing two different things?

    yes.

    --
    Jim Watt
    http://www.gibnet.com

    Jim Watt, Aug 20, 2004

  3. Don't disable plug and play service however you can disable the "universal plug and
    play service" which is like a plug and play for the network. I disable it and also
    disable the related ssdp discovery service. --- Steve

    Steven L Umbach, Aug 20, 2004
  4. Franky

    Guest

    Franky <> wrote:
    > I quite like the idea of Plug and Play where I can put in some new
    > hardware and XP will discover what it is and offer to install the
    > right drivers.

    > This seems to work on my system even though in Local Component
    > Services I have got "Universal Plug and Play Device Host" set to be
    > disabled.

    > Am I confusing two different things?

    Yes. pnp is hardware in a pc. upnp is networking devices discovering
    and "talking to" each other.

    > Should I disable or enable it?

    Un*x-type OS-es often does as well or better when pno is turned off
    since they are designed to probe hardware during boot. Windows however
    seems unable to work without pnp

    > And what about the warnings in http://grc.com/UnPnP/UnPnP.htm. Are
    > these warning still valid? If so then what should or should not be
    > running?

    Yes, they are very much true. But the place to disable upnp is
    not in the pc but in the "broadband-router". D-link 604 ( the new model)
    has a checkbox to globally disable upnp.

    --
    Peter Håkanson

    , Aug 20, 2004
  5. "Steven L Umbach" <> wrote:

    >Don't disable plug and play service however you can disable the "universal plug and
    >play service" which is like a plug and play for the network. I disable it and also
    >disable the related ssdp discovery service. --- Steve

    I disabled UPnP a number of years ago after reading Steve Gibson's somewhat
    sensationalistic diatribe against it. Didn't see the need to enable it.

    A few weeks ago I tried turning it back on and got all sorts of goofy things
    happening with my network setup, including having Windows enable bridging and a
    few other strange things. I quickly turned it off and reconfigured everything
    back to normal.

    Clark W. Griswold, Jr., Aug 21, 2004
  6. Which are the same.

    Dave