    philbo30 Guest

    Does IOS 12.4 provide a mechanism to disable the PIM Assert Process?
    If so, how?
    philbo30, Dec 20, 2007

  2. philbo30

    philbo30 Guest

    On Dec 20, 10:24 am, philbo30 <> wrote:
    > Does IOS 12.4 provide a mechanism to disable the PIM Assert Process?
    > If so, how?

    An alternative to disabling the PIM assert process might be to use an
    ACL to block PIMv2 Type 5 messages in/out to 224.0.0.2. Any ideas on
    how this ACL would look if it can be done?
    philbo30, Dec 20, 2007

  3. philbo30

    philbo30 Guest

    On Dec 20, 11:00 am, philbo30 <> wrote:
    > On Dec 20, 10:24 am, philbo30 <> wrote:
    >
    > > Does IOS 12.4 provide a mechanism to disable the PIM Assert Process?
    > > If so, how?

    > An alternative to disabling the PIM assert process might be to use an
    > ACL to block PIMv2 Type 5 messages in/out to 224.0.0.2. Any ideas on
    > how this ACL would look if it can be done?

    Correction: 224.0.0.13 for PIMv2. 224.0.0.2 is PIMv1
    philbo30, Dec 20, 2007
  4. philbo30

    Guest

    On Dec 20, 8:06 am, philbo30 <> wrote:
    > On Dec 20, 11:00 am, philbo30 <> wrote:
    >
    > > On Dec 20, 10:24 am, philbo30 <> wrote:

    > > > Does IOS 12.4 provide a mechanism to disable the PIM Assert Process?
    > > > If so, how?

    > > An alternative to disabling the PIM assert process might be to use an
    > > ACL to block PIMv2 Type 5 messages in/out to 224.0.0.2. Any ideas on
    > > how this ACL would look if it can be done?

    > Correction: 224.0.0.13 for PIMv2. 224.0.0.2 is PIMv1

    I would recommend against blocking that multicast address as that
    would handicap any PIM communication coming in that interface. I know
    of no way to disable just the Assert messages in IOS.

    neteng
    http://blog.humanmodem.com
    , Dec 20, 2007
  5. philbo30

    stephen Guest

    "" <> wrote in message
    > On Dec 20, 8:06 am, philbo30 <> wrote:

    > > > An alternative to disabling the PIM assert process might be to use an
    > > > ACL to block PIMv2 Type 5 messages in/out to 224.0.0.2. Any ideas on
    > > > how this ACL would look if it can be done?

    > > Correction: 224.0.0.13 for PIMv2. 224.0.0.2 is PIMv1

    > I would recommend against blocking that multicast address as that
    > would handicap any PIM communication coming in that interface. I know
    > of no way to disable just the Assert messages in IOS.

    on a related problem - anyone know how to stop IOS sending out multicasts to
    224.0.1.40 for the AutoRP function?

    it bhaves OK with a pure IOS environment - but causes lots of "invalid RP
    join" messages when it propagates to other PIM v2 / BSR type devices...

    --
    Regards

    - replace xyz with ntl
    stephen, Dec 20, 2007
  6. philbo30

    Guest

    On Dec 20, 2:39 pm, "stephen" <> wrote:
    > "" <> wrote in message

    > > > Correction: 224.0.0.13 for PIMv2. 224.0.0.2 is PIMv1

    > > I would recommend against blocking that multicast address as that
    > > would handicap any PIM communication coming in that interface. I know
    > > of no way to disable just the Assert messages in IOS.

    > on a related problem - anyone know how to stop IOS sending out multicasts to
    > 224.0.1.40 for the AutoRP function?
    >
    > it bhaves OK with a pure IOS environment - but causes lots of "invalid RP
    > join" messages when it propagates to other PIM v2 / BSR type devices...
    >
    > > neteng
    > >http://blog.humanmodem.com

    > --
    > Regards
    >
    > - replace xyz with ntl

    Stephen,

    I think you'll need to implement the 'ip multicast boundary <acl#>
    filter-autorp' command. It works as a bi-directional ACL to block auto-
    rp traffic for the multicast groups in the ACL. Let's say you want to
    stop the traffic from flowing through ethernet0/0:

    ACL for all multicast groups:
    access-list 1 permit 224.0.0.0. 15.255.255.255

    interface e0/0
    ip multicast boundary 1 filter-autorp

    HTH,
    neteng
    http://blog.humanmodem.com
    , Dec 20, 2007
  7. philbo30

    stephen Guest

    Process?

    an

    on

    > > > I would recommend against blocking that multicast address as that
    > > > would handicap any PIM communication coming in that interface. I know
    > > > of no way to disable just the Assert messages in IOS.

    > > on a related problem - anyone know how to stop IOS sending out

    multicasts to
    > > 224.0.1.40 for the AutoRP function?
    > >
    > > it bhaves OK with a pure IOS environment - but causes lots of "invalid

    RP
    > > join" messages when it propagates to other PIM v2 / BSR type devices...
    > >
    > > > neteng
    > > >http://blog.humanmodem.com

    > > --
    > > Regards
    > >
    > > - replace xyz with ntl

    > Stephen,
    >
    > I think you'll need to implement the 'ip multicast boundary <acl#>
    > filter-autorp' command. It works as a bi-directional ACL to block auto-
    > rp traffic for the multicast groups in the ACL. Let's say you want to
    > stop the traffic from flowing through ethernet0/0:
    >
    > ACL for all multicast groups:
    > access-list 1 permit 224.0.0.0. 15.255.255.255
    >
    > interface e0/0
    > ip multicast boundary 1 filter-autorp

    OK - thanks for that - i will give it a try.

    --
    Regards

    - replace xyz with ntl
    stephen, Dec 21, 2007