    it's the Norton Firewall program that keeps putting up the reminder pop ups
    because it needs renewing. Does any one know what to delete to stop the
    constant nags?

    nutzel, Feb 17, 2008

  2. nutzel

    Rôgêr Guest

    nutzel wrote:
    > How can I disable or delete the nag pop up screen that constantly pops up
    > asking if I want to update my Norton products. Actually, it's on my
    > daughter's lap top. I uninstalled all my Norton products a while back
    > because I prefer some of the free programs that are available. I already
    > uninstalled the Norton anti virus' clean up and utilities programs on her
    > lap top but she wants to keep the Go Back and Firewall programs. I think
    > it's the Norton Firewall program that keeps putting up the reminder pop ups
    > because it needs renewing. Does any one know what to delete to stop the
    > constant nags?

    Uninstall anything that says Norton or Symantec. Ignore what your
    daughter wants.

    Rôgêr, Feb 17, 2008

  3. nutzel

    nutzel Guest

    "Rôgêr" <> wrote in message
    > nutzel wrote:
    >> How can I disable or delete the nag pop up screen that constantly pops up
    >> asking if I want to update my Norton products. Actually, it's on my
    >> daughter's lap top. I uninstalled all my Norton products a while back
    >> because I prefer some of the free programs that are available. I already
    >> uninstalled the Norton anti virus' clean up and utilities programs on her
    >> lap top but she wants to keep the Go Back and Firewall programs. I think
    >> it's the Norton Firewall program that keeps putting up the reminder pop
    >> ups because it needs renewing. Does any one know what to delete to stop
    >> the constant nags?

    > Uninstall anything that says Norton or Symantec. Ignore what your daughter
    > wants.

    Actually I will uninstall the firewall as soon as I find a free one that I
    think she can handle. She isn't too tech savvy. I personally am using Comodo
    which I like very much except that it takes a little too much learning to
    get it to stop warning and asking permission for every little thing that
    that transpires.

    nutzel, Feb 17, 2008
  4. nutzel

    philo Guest

    "nutzel" <> wrote in message

    > "Rôgêr" <> wrote in message
    > > nutzel wrote:
    > >> How can I disable or delete the nag pop up screen that constantly pops

    up
    > >> asking if I want to update my Norton products. Actually, it's on my
    > >> daughter's lap top. I uninstalled all my Norton products a while back
    > >> because I prefer some of the free programs that are available. I

    already
    > >> uninstalled the Norton anti virus' clean up and utilities programs on

    her
    > >> lap top but she wants to keep the Go Back and Firewall programs. I

    think
    > >> it's the Norton Firewall program that keeps putting up the reminder pop
    > >> ups because it needs renewing. Does any one know what to delete to stop
    > >> the constant nags?

    > > Uninstall anything that says Norton or Symantec. Ignore what your

    daughter
    > > wants.

    > Actually I will uninstall the firewall as soon as I find a free one that I
    > think she can handle. She isn't too tech savvy. I personally am using

    Comodo
    > which I like very much except that it takes a little too much learning to
    > get it to stop warning and asking permission for every little thing that
    > that transpires.

    You were given correct advice...definately get rid of Norton.
    as to Comodo, once you allow known applications to connect, you will usually
    not be nagged again.

    There are a few updates that may initiate additional verifications...
    but that's fairly rare.

    philo, Feb 17, 2008
  5. nutzel

    G. Morgan Guest

    nutzel wrote:

    >How can I disable or delete the nag pop up screen that constantly pops up
    >asking if I want to update my Norton products. Actually, it's on my
    >daughter's lap top. I uninstalled all my Norton products a while back
    >because I prefer some of the free programs that are available. I already
    >uninstalled the Norton anti virus' clean up and utilities programs on her
    >lap top but she wants to keep the Go Back and Firewall programs. I think
    >it's the Norton Firewall program that keeps putting up the reminder pop ups
    >because it needs renewing. Does any one know what to delete to stop the
    >constant nags?

    As the others said, uninstall Norton. You can get McAfee Internet Security
    free version from AOL here: http://safety.aol.com/isc/MaximumSecurity/ all you
    have to do is get a free AOL email address first. It has a pretty decent
    firewall that does not require much attention, just yes/no questions.

    --

    I kill all Google Group posts, you can too.
    Take back Usenet <--> http://improve-usenet.org

    G. Morgan, Feb 17, 2008
  6. nutzel

    don Guest

    I think if you go into options you can disable "warn me about updating"
    preferences.....

    don, Feb 17, 2008
  7. G. Morgan wrote:

    > nutzel wrote:
    >> How can I disable or delete the nag pop up screen that constantly
    >> pops up asking if I want to update my Norton products. Actually,
    >> it's on my daughter's lap top. I uninstalled all my Norton products
    >> a while back because I prefer some of the free programs that are
    >> available. I already uninstalled the Norton anti virus' clean up and
    >> utilities programs on her lap top but she wants to keep the Go Back
    >> and Firewall programs. I think it's the Norton Firewall program that
    >> keeps putting up the reminder pop ups because it needs renewing.
    >> Does any one know what to delete to stop the constant nags?

    > As the others said, uninstall Norton. You can get McAfee Internet
    > Security free version from AOL here:
    > http://safety.aol.com/isc/MaximumSecurity/ all you have to do is get
    > a free AOL email address first. It has a pretty decent firewall that
    > does not require much attention, just yes/no questions.

    McAfee is as invasive as Norton. Go ask in alt.comp.anti-virus
    And why would anyone want to use software supplied by AOhelL?

    --
    -bts
    -Friends don't let friends drive Vista

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Feb 17, 2008
  8. nutzel

    VanguardLH Guest

    "nutzel" wrote in message news:...

    > "Rôgêr" wrote ...
    >>
    >> nutzel wrote:
    >>>
    >>> How can I disable or delete the nag pop up screen that constantly
    >>> pops up asking if I want to update my Norton products. Actually,
    >>> it's on my daughter's lap top. I uninstalled all my Norton
    >>> products a while back because I prefer some of the free programs
    >>> that are available. I already uninstalled the Norton anti virus'
    >>> clean up and utilities programs on her lap top but she wants to
    >>> keep the Go Back and Firewall programs. I think it's the Norton
    >>> Firewall program that keeps putting up the reminder pop ups
    >>> because it needs renewing. Does any one know what to delete to
    >>> stop the constant nags?

    >> Uninstall anything that says Norton or Symantec. Ignore what your
    >> daughter wants.

    > Actually I will uninstall the firewall as soon as I find a free one
    > that I think she can handle. She isn't too tech savvy. I personally
    > am using Comodo which I like very much except that it takes a little
    > too much learning to get it to stop warning and asking permission
    > for every little thing that that transpires.

    Comodo includes HIPS (Host Intrusion Protection System). I like their
    2.4 version better than their latest 3.x version. Their 3.x version
    is something of an ease-of-use nightmare. They also screwed up the
    HIPS rules in version 3. Specific (app) rules should override any
    global rule (so you don't need a global rule if all you want is the
    specific rule). They disconnected bidirectional control in their
    rules. App rules only govern want can connect outward and global
    rules govern what can connect inward. I'd rather have just a few
    global rules which can be configured as to which direction (in, out,
    or both) for each rule and the same for the app rules. Hell, you
    can't even run 'ping' without having to define both an app rule (for
    the outbound connect) and then a global rule (to receive back the UDP
    packet). Version 3 is just too clumsy to use. Version 2.4 of
    Comodo's firewall is still very good.

    I don't use Comodo anymore (but it is in my top two choices if I
    switch from what I use now). I don't recall if Comodo includes a
    whitelist of known good apps where you can download a signature
    database and enable an option to NOT prompt you if that app wants to
    connect. This reduces the number of prompts that you get as to
    whether or not a process is allowed to establish a network connection.
    Because it contains hash values for known good programs, it is
    possible that you upgrade or get a later version via updates that
    hasn't been recorded yet so you might get a prompt after running
    Windows Update or updating a program. However, it is easier to
    install and start using the HIPS program without getting deluged for
    every little action you commit on your host while trying to train it.

    Online Armor (www.tallemu.com) is a HIPS program that added a
    known-good program whitelist (that gets updated) to reduce prompts.
    You might want to check into that firewall+HIPS. Check their forums.
    I've posted about some problems with the product, like it currently
    does not check every known startup location in Windows to protect
    against malware from inserting itself there (but many HIPS programs
    are deficient in this area). Online Armor has yet to offer an option
    to block all network traffic (by not enabling its TCP stack handler)
    until it is fully loaded to eliminate a window of opportunity for
    programs (malware or good programs) from connecting before the
    firewall can block them. They promise to add it. It is missing from
    many personal software firewalls (Windows Firewall has it). Comodo
    has this option but, I believe, it is disabled by default during its
    install. I'm waiting until Online Armor comes out with its next major
    version because I won't bother with beta versions. They were trying
    for a release in late December but they are still at 2.1.0.31.

    For the Norton products, you sure there isn't a configuration option
    as to whether or not it downloads AND installs updates in the
    background (i.e., silently)? I suspect if you configure it so it
    cannot perform an automatic update that it will still check if there
    is an update and then bitch to you about finding one.

    VanguardLH, Feb 17, 2008
  9. nutzel

    G. Morgan Guest

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

    >> As the others said, uninstall Norton. You can get McAfee Internet
    >> Security free version from AOL here:
    >> http://safety.aol.com/isc/MaximumSecurity/ all you have to do is get
    >> a free AOL email address first. It has a pretty decent firewall that
    >> does not require much attention, just yes/no questions.

    >McAfee is as invasive as Norton. Go ask in alt.comp.anti-virus

    No it's not, I'm running it now on one of my machines. It's not near the
    resource hog that Norton is.

    >And why would anyone want to use software supplied by AOhelL?

    I thought the same thing at first but it's just re-branded, there is no AOhell
    redirects, ads (other than the logo on the main page), or otherwise nasty AOL
    software - the download comes direct from McAfee.

    G. Morgan, Feb 17, 2008
  10. nutzel

    PeeCee Guest

    "nutzel" <> wrote in message
    > How can I disable or delete the nag pop up screen that constantly pops up
    > asking if I want to update my Norton products. Actually, it's on my
    > daughter's lap top. I uninstalled all my Norton products a while back
    > because I prefer some of the free programs that are available. I already
    > uninstalled the Norton anti virus' clean up and utilities programs on her
    > lap top but she wants to keep the Go Back and Firewall programs. I think
    > it's the Norton Firewall program that keeps putting up the reminder pop
    > ups because it needs renewing. Does any one know what to delete to stop
    > the constant nags?

    As others have suggested, bin Norton, I have just this weekend sped up
    another Laptop just by removing Norton Internet Security.
    For a firewall use either Comodo or Zonealarm.
    In place of 'GoBack' teach her to manage her PC properly and make regular
    backups.

    Best
    Paul.

    PeeCee, Feb 17, 2008
  11. nutzel wrote:

    > How can I disable or delete the nag pop up screen that constantly pops up
    > asking if I want to update my Norton products. Actually, it's on my
    > daughter's lap top. I uninstalled all my Norton products a while back
    > because I prefer some of the free programs that are available. I already
    > uninstalled the Norton anti virus' clean up and utilities programs on her
    > lap top but she wants to keep the Go Back and Firewall programs. I think
    > it's the Norton Firewall program that keeps putting up the reminder pop
    > ups because it needs renewing. Does any one know what to delete to stop
    > the constant nags?

    Goback once was a nice idea, but it takes much disk space and cannot protect
    against a harddrive failure. A broken bootsector will bring it down as
    well, and fixboot from a recovery console won't help much.
    Regular backups are a must-do nevertheless.
    Regarding the "desktop firewall", a cheap NAT router (if broadband) or even
    the protection built into windows xp, plus anti-spyware monitoring registry
    and autostart entries, will perform as well, as long as you/your daughter
    practices "safe hex".

    wisdomkiller & pain, Feb 17, 2008
  12. nutzel

    Guest

    On Feb 16, 7:15 pm, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
    <> wrote:

    > McAfee is as invasive as Norton.  Go ask in alt.comp.anti-virus
    > And why would anyone want to use software supplied by AOhelL?

    AOL is a great introduction to many things for beginners. Several of
    my friends learned how to use the internet through experimenting on
    AOL as an example. So why *not* learn about anti-virus measures
    through the service? It's free and it's 'friendly.'

    ---
    SavySoftware - Extending Capabilities
    http://www.savysoftware.com

    , Feb 17, 2008
  13. nutzel

    Rôgêr Guest

    wrote:
    > On Feb 16, 7:15 pm, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> McAfee is as invasive as Norton. Go ask in alt.comp.anti-virus
    >> And why would anyone want to use software supplied by AOhelL?

    > AOL is a great introduction to many things for beginners. Several of
    > my friends learned how to use the internet through experimenting on
    > AOL as an example. So why *not* learn about anti-virus measures
    > through the service? It's free and it's 'friendly.'

    Did you ever stop to think that you're an idiot?

    Rôgêr, Feb 17, 2008
  14. nutzel

    Alang Guest

    nutzel wrote:

    > How can I disable or delete the nag pop up screen that constantly
    > pops up asking if I want to update my Norton products. Actually,
    > it's on my daughter's lap top. I uninstalled all my Norton products
    > a while back because I prefer some of the free programs that are
    > available. I already uninstalled the Norton anti virus' clean up
    > and utilities programs on her lap top but she wants to keep the Go
    > Back and Firewall programs. I think it's the Norton Firewall
    > program that keeps putting up the reminder pop ups because it needs
    > renewing. Does any one know what to delete to stop the constant
    > nags?

    Uninstall all Norton stuff and get free zone alarm.

    Alang, Feb 17, 2008
  15. G. Morgan wrote:

    > Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    >> McAfee is as invasive as Norton. Go ask in alt.comp.anti-virus

    > No it's not, I'm running it now on one of my machines. It's not near
    > the resource hog that Norton is.

    I dunno; most folks in the group(s) I pointed to, say that it is. Check
    over there. Oh, supposedly the corporate version is fine.

    I last used a McAfee product ("McAfee Office") with Windows NT 3.51.
    When I upgraded to NT 4.0, McAfee said "you will have to purchase a
    complete new package at retail price (~$80US), and no lesser 'upgrade'
    fee." But that's ancient history...

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Feb 17, 2008
  16. nutzel

    nutzel Guest

    Thanks Don. I done what you suggested and it seems to be working.

    nutzel, Feb 17, 2008