    I dont care if Mozilla doesn't have it, Or that Opera comes with free porn
    banners, or that Agent is the least *crap* news reader ever, I just want it
    disabled, so no "try browser x" type posts please.

    T.N.O., Oct 21, 2003

  2. T.N.O.

    ZZzzz Guest

    "T.N.O." <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > OK, I cant remember what this "feature" is called, but my friend has it
    > enabled, and wants it off...

    Thats normally indicative of spyware/adware installed (Gator etc). Tried
    running Adaware on it?

    ZZzzz, Oct 21, 2003

  3. On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 19:23:54 +1300, "T.N.O." <> wrote:

    >OK, I cant remember what this "feature" is called, but my friend has it
    >enabled, and wants it off...

    Definitely doesn't sound like a built-in feature of Internet Explorer.
    Use Ad-Aware or Spybot to see if they will get rid of it, or search
    google for an app called BHODemon which will list all BHO (Browser
    Helper Object) items that are "plugged-in" to IE, and allow you to
    disable them.

    --
    Kristofer Clayton (KJClayton)
    Gisborne, New Zealand

    Kristofer Clayton, Oct 21, 2003
  4. T.N.O.

    T.N.O. Guest

    "ZZzzz" wrote
    > > OK, I cant remember what this "feature" is called, but my friend has it
    > > enabled, and wants it off...

    > Thats normally indicative of spyware/adware installed (Gator etc). Tried
    > running Adaware on it?

    Adaware says it is clean.(barring cookies)
    Spybot S&D found nothing aswell...

    The machine is clean(well, AFAICT), but there was a feature that was put in
    Ie 6 and I cant remember what it was called, and so cant search for it to
    find the disable instructions.

    T.N.O., Oct 21, 2003
  5. T.N.O.

    Stuart Guest

    "T.N.O." <> wrote in message
    > OK, I cant remember what this "feature" is called, but my friend has it
    > enabled, and wants it off...
    >
    > It's the one where it underlines words in webpages that your viewing, and
    > links to sites where you can buy things... like I was reading a

    motherboard
    > review, and it gave me links to damn near every word due to that type of
    > words used... makes it damn near un-usable.

    Smart tags? They were disabled for IE 6. It's a feature of Office though.

    http://cc.uoregon.edu/cnews/summer2001/smartags.html

    Stuart

    Stuart, Oct 21, 2003
  6. T.N.O.

    T.N.O. Guest

    "Howard" wrote
    > Tools | Internet Options | Advanced Tab | Underline Links

    Always-Hover-Never

    not it, but thanks anyway

    > Oh and btw ... Mozilla really is better ;-)

    Dont like mozilla, love Fire bird, especially 0.7, it is so damn fast.

    T.N.O., Oct 21, 2003
  7. T.N.O. wrote:
    > OK, I cant remember what this "feature" is called, but my friend has
    > it enabled, and wants it off...
    >
    > It's the one where it underlines words in webpages that your viewing,
    > and links to sites where you can buy things... like I was reading a
    > motherboard review, and it gave me links to damn near every word due
    > to that type of words used... makes it damn near un-usable.

    Internet Explorer doesn't have anything like this. It's either the website
    that you are viewing that is doing it (To raise money), or it is spyware. If
    it doesn't happen on many websites, it's just the websites raising money.

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock

    Nicholas Sherlock, Oct 21, 2003
  8. T.N.O.

    T.N.O. Guest

    "Nicholas Sherlock" wrote
    > Internet Explorer doesn't have anything like this. It's either the website
    > that you are viewing that is doing it (To raise money), or it is spyware.

    If
    > it doesn't happen on many websites, it's just the websites raising money.

    It has since stopped, so ummm, who knows what it was.

    T.N.O., Oct 21, 2003
  9. T.N.O.

    Howard Guest

    Howard, Oct 22, 2003
  10. T.N.O.

    T-Boy Guest

    In article <>, says...
    > OK, I cant remember what this "feature" is called, but my friend has it
    > enabled, and wants it off...
    >
    > It's the one where it underlines words in webpages that your viewing, and
    > links to sites where you can buy things... like I was reading a motherboard
    > review, and it gave me links to damn near every word due to that type of
    > words used... makes it damn near un-usable.
    >
    > I dont care if Mozilla doesn't have it, Or that Opera comes with free porn
    > banners, or that Agent is the least *crap* news reader ever, I just want it
    > disabled, so no "try browser x" type posts please.

    I can't believe all the folk that have replied - and only one person's
    got it right - the short of it is:
    * yes, you can do this in IE
    * it's in Internet Options, Advanced Options - per Howards reply no
    doubt.

    --
    Duncan

    T-Boy, Oct 22, 2003
  11. T.N.O.

    Bret Guest

    On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 17:48:01 +1300, T-Boy <> wrote:

    >In article <>, says...
    >> OK, I cant remember what this "feature" is called, but my friend has it
    >> enabled, and wants it off...
    >>
    >> It's the one where it underlines words in webpages that your viewing, and
    >> links to sites where you can buy things... like I was reading a motherboard
    >> review, and it gave me links to damn near every word due to that type of
    >> words used... makes it damn near un-usable.
    >>
    >> I dont care if Mozilla doesn't have it, Or that Opera comes with free porn
    >> banners, or that Agent is the least *crap* news reader ever, I just want it
    >> disabled, so no "try browser x" type posts please.

    >I can't believe all the folk that have replied - and only one person's
    >got it right - the short of it is:
    >* yes, you can do this in IE
    >* it's in Internet Options, Advanced Options - per Howards reply no
    >doubt.

    I don't think that's correct, I've been thinking in my spare moments
    and in the deep recesses of my memory I recall reading about something
    like this underlining keywords and replacing them with links to a
    competitors web site, rather nasty stuff.
    I shall oil the cogs in my brain later and hopefully will remember the
    source (possibly a mag) and get back to it, maybe this will jog
    someone elses memory.

    Bret, Oct 22, 2003
  12. T.N.O.

    Bret Guest

    On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 18:50:58 +1300, Bret <> wrote:

    >On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 17:48:01 +1300, T-Boy <> wrote:
    >
    >>In article <>, says...
    >>> OK, I cant remember what this "feature" is called, but my friend has it
    >>> enabled, and wants it off...
    >>>
    >>> It's the one where it underlines words in webpages that your viewing, and
    >>> links to sites where you can buy things... like I was reading a motherboard
    >>> review, and it gave me links to damn near every word due to that type of
    >>> words used... makes it damn near un-usable.
    >>>
    >>> I dont care if Mozilla doesn't have it, Or that Opera comes with free porn
    >>> banners, or that Agent is the least *crap* news reader ever, I just want it
    >>> disabled, so no "try browser x" type posts please.

    >>I can't believe all the folk that have replied - and only one person's
    >>got it right - the short of it is:
    >>* yes, you can do this in IE
    >>* it's in Internet Options, Advanced Options - per Howards reply no
    >>doubt.

    >I don't think that's correct, I've been thinking in my spare moments
    >and in the deep recesses of my memory I recall reading about something
    >like this underlining keywords and replacing them with links to a
    >competitors web site, rather nasty stuff.
    >I shall oil the cogs in my brain later and hopefully will remember the
    >source (possibly a mag) and get back to it, maybe this will jog
    >someone elses memory.

    Jackpot! and I didn't need the lube job either.

    http://www.cexx.org/toptext.htm

    This product, which seems to change its name every week or so, is
    foistware installed with KaZaA, a popular Napster-like file sharing
    program. Once installed, it will insert advertising links in ALL the
    Web sites you visit, regardless of whether KaZaA is running. Sadly, it
    is probably touted to newbies a some kind of "useful,
    can't-live-without tool essential for Internet access", and takes many
    installer speed-demons* by surprise. More information is available in
    this article. A link inserted by TOPtext may look like a normal link,
    then appear highlighted in yellow when the viewer mouses over it.

    Bret, Oct 22, 2003
  13. T.N.O.

    T-Boy Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 17:48:01 +1300, T-Boy <> wrote:
    >
    > >In article <>, says...
    > >> OK, I cant remember what this "feature" is called, but my friend has it
    > >> enabled, and wants it off...
    > >>
    > >> It's the one where it underlines words in webpages that your viewing, and
    > >> links to sites where you can buy things... like I was reading a motherboard
    > >> review, and it gave me links to damn near every word due to that type of
    > >> words used... makes it damn near un-usable.
    > >>
    > >> I dont care if Mozilla doesn't have it, Or that Opera comes with free porn
    > >> banners, or that Agent is the least *crap* news reader ever, I just want it
    > >> disabled, so no "try browser x" type posts please.

    > >I can't believe all the folk that have replied - and only one person's
    > >got it right - the short of it is:
    > >* yes, you can do this in IE
    > >* it's in Internet Options, Advanced Options - per Howards reply no
    > >doubt.

    > I don't think that's correct, I've been thinking in my spare moments
    > and in the deep recesses of my memory I recall reading about something
    > like this underlining keywords and replacing them with links to a
    > competitors web site, rather nasty stuff.
    > I shall oil the cogs in my brain later and hopefully will remember the
    > source (possibly a mag) and get back to it, maybe this will jog
    > someone elses memory.

    I have no idea what the hell you're on about :)

    Hey the guy just wants his underlined links turned off in IE - that was
    his question.

    Here's a picture for you - clear now???...

    http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/duncanm4/Capture_6.jpg

    --
    Duncan

    T-Boy, Oct 22, 2003
  14. T.N.O.

    Bret Guest

    On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 21:46:59 +1300, T-Boy <> wrote:

    >In article <>,
    >says...
    >> On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 17:48:01 +1300, T-Boy <> wrote:
    >>
    >> >In article <>, says...

    >> >I can't believe all the folk that have replied - and only one person's
    >> >got it right - the short of it is:
    >> >* yes, you can do this in IE
    >> >* it's in Internet Options, Advanced Options - per Howards reply no
    >> >doubt.

    >> I don't think that's correct, I've been thinking in my spare moments
    >> and in the deep recesses of my memory I recall reading about something
    >> like this underlining keywords and replacing them with links to a
    >> competitors web site, rather nasty stuff.
    >> I shall oil the cogs in my brain later and hopefully will remember the
    >> source (possibly a mag) and get back to it, maybe this will jog
    >> someone elses memory.

    >I have no idea what the hell you're on about :)
    >
    >Hey the guy just wants his underlined links turned off in IE - that was
    >his question.
    >
    >Here's a picture for you - clear now???...
    >
    >http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/duncanm4/Capture_6.jpg

    I believe T.N.O has already tried this and found it wasn't the
    problem.Have a look at my other post in the thread, I think it's a
    valid possibility for him to investigate.
    Clear now?

    Bret, Oct 22, 2003
  15. T.N.O.

    T-Boy Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 21:46:59 +1300, T-Boy <> wrote:
    >
    > >In article <>,
    > >says...

    > >> I don't think that's correct, I've been thinking in my spare moments
    > >> and in the deep recesses of my memory I recall reading about something
    > >> like this underlining keywords and replacing them with links to a
    > >> competitors web site, rather nasty stuff.
    > >> I shall oil the cogs in my brain later and hopefully will remember the
    > >> source (possibly a mag) and get back to it, maybe this will jog
    > >> someone elses memory.

    > >I have no idea what the hell you're on about :)
    > >
    > >Hey the guy just wants his underlined links turned off in IE - that was
    > >his question.
    > >
    > >Here's a picture for you - clear now???...
    > >
    > >http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/duncanm4/Capture_6.jpg

    > I believe T.N.O has already tried this and found it wasn't the
    > problem.Have a look at my other post in the thread, I think it's a
    > valid possibility for him to investigate.
    > Clear now?

    As a bell! :)

    It reminds me of some *other* 'hijacking' program that does the same -
    um... some 'IE helper' program - I remember installing it but it was a
    year or so back and can't recall the name of it now. Underlined bloody
    near everything!

    If it's this type of thing - then installing Ad-Aware and Spybot, online
    updating both, and then running 'em - would surely get rid of the
    problem, if that's what it is.

    --
    Duncan

    T-Boy, Oct 22, 2003
  16. T.N.O.

    Mainlander Guest

    In article <>, says...
    > OK, I cant remember what this "feature" is called, but my friend has it
    > enabled, and wants it off...
    >
    > It's the one where it underlines words in webpages that your viewing, and
    > links to sites where you can buy things... like I was reading a motherboard
    > review, and it gave me links to damn near every word due to that type of
    > words used... makes it damn near un-usable.
    >
    > I dont care if Mozilla doesn't have it, Or that Opera comes with free porn
    > banners, or that Agent is the least *crap* news reader ever, I just want it
    > disabled, so no "try browser x" type posts please.

    It's not IE, these products are called "scumware" e.g. ezula toptext

    See http://www.scumware.com/

    Mainlander, Oct 22, 2003
  17. T.N.O.

    Mainlander Guest

    In article <>, says...
    > "ZZzzz" wrote
    > > > OK, I cant remember what this "feature" is called, but my friend has it
    > > > enabled, and wants it off...

    > > Thats normally indicative of spyware/adware installed (Gator etc). Tried
    > > running Adaware on it?

    > Adaware says it is clean.(barring cookies)
    > Spybot S&D found nothing aswell...
    >
    > The machine is clean(well, AFAICT), but there was a feature that was put in
    > Ie 6 and I cant remember what it was called, and so cant search for it to
    > find the disable instructions.

    No there wasn't. The smart tags feature was not included in IE6.

    Your browser has Toptext installed probably.

    Mainlander, Oct 22, 2003
  18. T.N.O.

    Mainlander Guest

    In article <>, says...
    > OK, I cant remember what this "feature" is called, but my friend has it
    > enabled, and wants it off...
    >
    > It's the one where it underlines words in webpages that your viewing, and
    > links to sites where you can buy things... like I was reading a motherboard
    > review, and it gave me links to damn near every word due to that type of
    > words used... makes it damn near un-usable.
    >
    > I dont care if Mozilla doesn't have it, Or that Opera comes with free porn
    > banners, or that Agent is the least *crap* news reader ever, I just want it
    > disabled, so no "try browser x" type posts please.

    I bet they have Kazaa installed, install Kazaa and get Toptext free

    http://dmoz.org/Society/Issues/Business/Allegedly_Unethical_Firms/Ezula/

    Mainlander, Oct 22, 2003
  19. T.N.O.

    Mainlander Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > In article <>, says...
    > > OK, I cant remember what this "feature" is called, but my friend has it
    > > enabled, and wants it off...
    > >
    > > It's the one where it underlines words in webpages that your viewing, and
    > > links to sites where you can buy things... like I was reading a motherboard
    > > review, and it gave me links to damn near every word due to that type of
    > > words used... makes it damn near un-usable.
    > >
    > > I dont care if Mozilla doesn't have it, Or that Opera comes with free porn
    > > banners, or that Agent is the least *crap* news reader ever, I just want it
    > > disabled, so no "try browser x" type posts please.

    > I can't believe all the folk that have replied - and only one person's
    > got it right - the short of it is:
    > * yes, you can do this in IE
    > * it's in Internet Options, Advanced Options - per Howards reply no
    > doubt.

    You don't know what you are talking about.

    There is an HTML convention by which hyperlinks are by default
    underlined. Has been that way for years, can be altered by style sheets
    or the setting in IE.

    But that is not what is being referred to, what is being referred to is
    the action of a program called or similar to Ezula Toptext, that gets
    installed along with Kazaa and probably some other apps.

    Mainlander, Oct 22, 2003
  20. T.N.O.

    T.N.O. Guest

    "T-Boy" wrote
    > > I don't think that's correct, I've been thinking in my spare moments
    > > and in the deep recesses of my memory I recall reading about something
    > > like this underlining keywords and replacing them with links to a
    > > competitors web site, rather nasty stuff.
    > > I shall oil the cogs in my brain later and hopefully will remember the
    > > source (possibly a mag) and get back to it, maybe this will jog
    > > someone elses memory.

    > I have no idea what the hell you're on about :)
    > Hey the guy just wants his underlined links turned off in IE - that was
    > his question.

    actually no, he is right, it was called smarttags, but it wasn't enabled in
    IE6, not that it matters, as it has since stopped doing it... I'll file it
    in the too hard, dont care basket.

    T.N.O., Oct 22, 2003