    games but not be able to access the internet. I have a broadband connection.

    Is there a way to stop access to IE in a limited user account while still
    being accessible in the admin?

    Gorbag, Jul 24, 2005

  2. Gorbag

    John Holmes Guest

    Gorbag blabbered in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > I would like to create a separate user account for my son to be able
    > to play games but not be able to access the internet. I have a
    > broadband connection.
    >
    > Is there a way to stop access to IE in a limited user account while
    > still being accessible in the admin?

    start>run>gpedit.msc

    --
    Your mother was a cruddy animal handler who copulated with anyone and
    anything amongst cavemen in a time loop.
    John Holmes, Jul 24, 2005

  3. Gorbag

    Dave Lear Guest

    "John Holmes" wrote in message

    >> I would like to create a separate user account for my son to
    >> be able to play games but not be able to access the internet.
    >> I have a broadband connection.
    >>
    >> Is there a way to stop access to IE in a limited user account
    >> while still being accessible in the admin?

    > start>run>gpedit.msc

    Local Computer Policy

    User Configuration

    Windows Settings

    Internet Explorer Maintenance

    Connection

    I'd suggest entering a Proxy address of 127.0.0.1 (the loopback address to
    the machine itself) for all of the protocols and applying that.

    Of course, as the Group Policy snap-in (GPEDIT.MSC) is only available under
    Windows XP Professional, if the original poster has Windows XP Home then the
    above isn't do'able without manually creating / editing the equivalent
    policy keys under the Current User registry hive (or under HKEY_USERS and
    finding the SID of the user to restrict)
    Dave Lear, Jul 24, 2005
  4. Gorbag

    John Holmes Guest

    Dave Lear blabbered in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > "John Holmes" wrote in message
    >
    >>> I would like to create a separate user account for my son to
    >>> be able to play games but not be able to access the internet.
    >>> I have a broadband connection.
    >>>
    >>> Is there a way to stop access to IE in a limited user account
    >>> while still being accessible in the admin?

    >> start>run>gpedit.msc

    > Local Computer Policy
    >
    > User Configuration
    >
    > Windows Settings
    >
    > Internet Explorer Maintenance
    >
    > Connection
    >
    > I'd suggest entering a Proxy address of 127.0.0.1 (the loopback
    > address to the machine itself) for all of the protocols and applying
    > that.
    >
    > Of course, as the Group Policy snap-in (GPEDIT.MSC) is only available
    > under Windows XP Professional, if the original poster has Windows XP
    > Home then the above isn't do'able without manually creating / editing
    > the equivalent policy keys under the Current User registry hive (or
    > under HKEY_USERS and finding the SID of the user to restrict)

    Why are you telling me, you ****?

    You're so dense that light bends around you.

    --
    Your mother was an elderly mud wrestler who made babies with other like-
    minded people.
    John Holmes, Jul 24, 2005
  5. Gorbag

    Wheaty Guest

    Gorbag babbled on about this

    > I would like to create a separate user account for my son to be able
    > to play games but not be able to access the internet. I have a
    > broadband connection.
    >
    > Is there a way to stop access to IE in a limited user account while
    > still being accessible in the admin?

    accessability options like this are generally limited to a Domain
    structure if I am not mistaken. One thing you could try is to simply set
    file permissions for the iexplore.exe file. Remove Guest or <name>,
    users, and anything other than administrator (or whatever other accounts
    you want to have access) from the security tab, and that particular
    account should not be able to run Internet Explorer. There are several
    ways to circumvent this I am sure.

    --
    Wheaty

    I would much rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal
    labotomy....
    Wheaty, Jul 25, 2005
  6. Gorbag

    Dave Lear Guest

    "John Holmes" wrote in message

    > Why are you telling me, you [SNIP]?

    I'm telling all the subsribers of this newsgroup, John, not just you. Whilst
    you might already know it, there'll be those that don't.

    > You're so dense that light bends around you.

    Thank you, John.
    Dave Lear, Jul 25, 2005