    fully manual mode. In other words, why would someone *never* want to
    disable the flash in full manual mode, yet *ever* want to disable it in
    full auto mode?

    Dave, Feb 25, 2006

  2. Dave

    M Twain Guest

    "Dave" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hi all,
    > After researching this camera for the last couple of years, I finally
    > bought a D70 from a friend and now have a question. It seems there is
    > no way to disable the flash when using the P, S, A and M modes. This
    > seems strange to me but what seems even more strange is that you can
    > disable the flash in Auto mode as well as all of the Vari-Program
    > modes.
    >
    > I've also got the Coolpix 5700 and contraty to the D70, the flash
    > setting is completely independant of the shooting mode of the camera.
    > This seems to make more sense. If you're going to give an option in
    > the full-auto mode, that option should certainly be available in a
    > fully manual mode. In other words, why would someone *never* want to
    > disable the flash in full manual mode, yet *ever* want to disable it in
    > full auto mode?

    Have you considered not popping up the flash?

    M Twain, Feb 25, 2006

  3. Dave

    Dave Guest

    haha...man, do I feel dumb. I was trying to cycle to the "No Flash"
    icon.

    Ok, I'm back in love with this camera again. *sheepish grin*

    Dave, Feb 25, 2006
  4. On 25 Feb 2006 10:22:33 -0800, in rec.photo.digital "Dave"
    <> wrote:

    >Hi all,
    >After researching this camera for the last couple of years, I finally
    >bought a D70 from a friend and now have a question. It seems there is
    >no way to disable the flash when using the P, S, A and M modes. This
    >seems strange to me but what seems even more strange is that you can
    >disable the flash in Auto mode as well as all of the Vari-Program
    >modes.
    >
    >I've also got the Coolpix 5700 and contraty to the D70, the flash
    >setting is completely independant of the shooting mode of the camera.
    >This seems to make more sense. If you're going to give an option in
    >the full-auto mode, that option should certainly be available in a
    >fully manual mode. In other words, why would someone *never* want to
    >disable the flash in full manual mode, yet *ever* want to disable it in
    >full auto mode?

    RTFM. Unless you raise the flash in all but auto or the preprogrammed modes
    that use it, the flash will not pop up and fire.
    --
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    http://EdwardGRuf.com

    Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!), Feb 25, 2006
  5. Dave

    Ryan Guest

    Dave wrote:
    > haha...man, do I feel dumb. I was trying to cycle to the "No Flash"
    > icon.
    >
    > Ok, I'm back in love with this camera again. *sheepish grin*

    Also, if it is an external flash, or flash system, then you have to
    either turn it off, or disconnect it. As far as I know, you cannot
    disable the hot shoe.

    Ryan, Feb 25, 2006