    Broadcast SSID option in the router. If I disable it the
    broadcast option, will Windows XP have any problems with
    it?

    Ben, Aug 1, 2004

  2. Ben

    Dave Guest

    it will have problems if you are using the windows zero configuration setup
    to control the wireless settings and there are any other access points in
    your area that are broadcasting.

    Dave, Aug 1, 2004

  3. Ben

    Guest Guest

    So, I cannot disable the Broadcast SSID option if I'm
    using the Windows Zero Configuration or Windows XP built-
    in tool?

    Guest, Aug 1, 2004
  4. Ben

    Eric Guest

    Yes, you cannot disable the Broadcast SSID if you are
    using Windows XP Wireless Zero Configuration. What
    happens is when the broadcast SSID is disabled, the
    network name will not appear in the Available network,
    and you won't be able to connect to an available network.

    Eric, Aug 1, 2004
  5. Ben

    Pavel A. Guest

    AFAIK this behaviour is caused by buggy WLAN adapter drivers.
    If your's has a good driver, you can disable broadcast and it still will work.

    --PA

    Pavel A., Aug 1, 2004
  6. Ben

    Sooner Al Guest

    There really is no good reason to disable broadcast of the network SSID. There are tools that one
    can use to discover the SSID, Kismet is an example, even if it is not being cloaked. You also can
    cause problems using XP WZC...

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;811427

    Your much better off using WPA, strong encryption, strong passwords, etc...

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/bowman_03july28.mspx

    --
    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    Sooner Al, Aug 1, 2004