    installing drivers for Intel CPU, not AMD.

    What should I do next?

    , Jul 2, 2008

  2. The AMD64 report is correct. It does not mean it thinks you have a cpu made
    by AMD. It just means that ALL 64bit cpus that support the x86 instruction
    set as well as the 64bit extensions are in the class "AMD64." Even Intel's
    EMT64 cpus. Since the AMD64 cpus were the first cpus in this class to reach
    the market, the class is named for them. The x86 class was named for the
    Intel 8086, the first cpu in that class.

    System info is reporting the specific make and model cpu and graphics
    adaptor.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jul 2, 2008

  3. DevilsPGD Guest

    In message <c1.2c.3B8pwD$>
    wrote:

    >In Win XP Pro x64 SP2 dxdiag.exe 64bit wrongly reports the CPU as AMD64, while
    >32 bit correctly reports Intel.
    >
    >System Information reports the CPU correctly.
    >
    >I downloaded directx_jun2008_redist.exe, expanded it and ran dxsetup.exe. It
    >seemed to go through an install process and I rebooted.
    >
    >However dxdiag.exe reports no change to dx file dates and the CPU information is
    >still wrong.
    >
    >This matters because all the 64 bit display drivers that don't work are placed
    >by the NVIDIA installer in c:\NVIDIA\Win2KAMD64\xxx. I want to be sure I am
    >installing drivers for Intel CPU, not AMD.

    In short, this is correct. Originally known as x86-64, AMD renamed the
    architecture to AMD64. Intel called theirs EM64T at one point. These
    all mean the same thing.

    This is different from Intel's Itanium (IA-64) architecture which was a
    redesign rather then an augmentation of the traditional x86
    architecture.

    In short, all is well here.

    DevilsPGD, Jul 2, 2008