    difference in file size if it is the same installation. What gives?

    I saw some talk about a 'final' version but it seems odd that they
    keep calling it 9c.

    GraB, Jan 20, 2007

  2. GraB

    Mathew Good Guest

    On Sun, 21 Jan 2007 03:30:51 +1300, GraB <> wrote:

    >I got a copy of DirectX 9c off a 1-year-old mag cover DVD
    >(directx_9c_redist.exe) and it is 34MB. While looking to see if there
    >was a later version I found that
    >http://www.softwarepatch.com/security/directxdownload.html has the
    >link below
    >
    >http://download.microsoft.com/downl...-aacb-dc4c5d230a9a/directx_dec2006_redist.exe
    >
    >and this is also DirectX 9c but it is about 60MB. That is a huge
    >difference in file size if it is the same installation. What gives?
    >
    >I saw some talk about a 'final' version but it seems odd that they
    >keep calling it 9c.

    A full one used by Developers

    Mathew Good, Jan 20, 2007

  3. GraB

    ~misfit~ Guest

    GraB wrote:
    > I got a copy of DirectX 9c off a 1-year-old mag cover DVD
    > (directx_9c_redist.exe) and it is 34MB. While looking to see if there
    > was a later version I found that
    > http://www.softwarepatch.com/security/directxdownload.html has the
    > link below
    >
    > http://download.microsoft.com/downl...-aacb-dc4c5d230a9a/directx_dec2006_redist.exe
    >
    > and this is also DirectX 9c but it is about 60MB. That is a huge
    > difference in file size if it is the same installation. What gives?
    >
    > I saw some talk about a 'final' version but it seems odd that they
    > keep calling it 9c.

    Perhaps the cover CD version assumes that you're upgrading from ver 9a or so
    (guessing here) whereas the MS site version doesn't so is correspondingly
    bigger?

    Just a guess.
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Jan 20, 2007
  4. GraB

    Phil Guest

    GraB wrote, On 21/01/07 3.30 a:
    > I got a copy of DirectX 9c off a 1-year-old mag cover DVD
    > (directx_9c_redist.exe) and it is 34MB. While looking to see if there
    > was a later version I found that
    > http://www.softwarepatch.com/security/directxdownload.html has the
    > link below

    Your best bet to find the latest download would be the Microsoft website.

    The 60MB package you linked to also contained a bunch of language
    localisations and support for every XP and above OS version.

    I'd recommend you grab this package, which will only download what you need:
    <http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=2DA43D38-DB71-4C1B-BC6A-9B6652CD92A3&displaylang=en>

    -Phil

    Phil, Jan 20, 2007
  5. GraB

    Mark C Guest

    GraB <> wrote in

    > and this is also DirectX 9c but it is about 60MB. That is a
    > huge difference in file size if it is the same installation.
    > What gives?

    Probably like somebody else said, different language
    localisations.

    There are some differences as well:
    Later last year they put out a version that had XBox 360 gamepad
    controller functions build in ("XInput" so that PC games can use
    the XBox 360 gamepad), and seem to have updated that version
    periodically. I didn't read that there were differences aside from
    XInput.
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/archive/en-us/directx9_c_Feb_2006/dx9_xinput.asp

    Mark

    Mark C, Jan 21, 2007
  6. GraB

    GraB Guest

    On Sun, 21 Jan 2007 12:47:05 +1300, Phil <>
    wrote:

    >GraB wrote, On 21/01/07 3.30 a:
    >> I got a copy of DirectX 9c off a 1-year-old mag cover DVD
    >> (directx_9c_redist.exe) and it is 34MB. While looking to see if there
    >> was a later version I found that
    >> http://www.softwarepatch.com/security/directxdownload.html has the
    >> link below

    >Your best bet to find the latest download would be the Microsoft website.
    >
    >The 60MB package you linked to also contained a bunch of language
    >localisations and support for every XP and above OS version.
    >
    >I'd recommend you grab this package, which will only download what you need:
    ><http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=2DA43D38-DB71-4C1B-BC6A-9B6652CD92A3&displaylang=en>

    I want to install it on a PC with dial-up, so want a complete
    installer rather than a web installer.

    GraB, Jan 21, 2007
  7. GraB

    GraB Guest

    On Sun, 21 Jan 2007 03:30:51 +1300, GraB <> wrote:

    >I got a copy of DirectX 9c off a 1-year-old mag cover DVD
    >(directx_9c_redist.exe) and it is 34MB. While looking to see if there
    >was a later version I found that
    >http://www.softwarepatch.com/security/directxdownload.html has the
    >link below
    >
    >http://download.microsoft.com/downl...-aacb-dc4c5d230a9a/directx_dec2006_redist.exe
    >
    >and this is also DirectX 9c but it is about 60MB. That is a huge
    >difference in file size if it is the same installation. What gives?
    >
    >I saw some talk about a 'final' version but it seems odd that they
    >keep calling it 9c.

    http://www.filehippo.com/download_directx/ has a list of links to old
    versions, all 9c, which are increasingly larger the newer they are,
    but I haven't found an explanation why yet.

    GraB, Jan 21, 2007
  8. GraB

    Mathew Good Guest

    On Mon, 22 Jan 2007 06:37:12 +1300, GraB <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 21 Jan 2007 12:47:05 +1300, Phil <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>GraB wrote, On 21/01/07 3.30 a:
    >>> I got a copy of DirectX 9c off a 1-year-old mag cover DVD
    >>> (directx_9c_redist.exe) and it is 34MB. While looking to see if there
    >>> was a later version I found that
    >>> http://www.softwarepatch.com/security/directxdownload.html has the
    >>> link below

    >>Your best bet to find the latest download would be the Microsoft website.
    >>
    >>The 60MB package you linked to also contained a bunch of language
    >>localisations and support for every XP and above OS version.
    >>
    >>I'd recommend you grab this package, which will only download what you need:
    >><http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=2DA43D38-DB71-4C1B-BC6A-9B6652CD92A3&displaylang=en>
    >>

    >I want to install it on a PC with dial-up, so want a complete
    >installer rather than a web installer.

    Buy a Computer Magazine with it on the CD..

    Mathew Good, Jan 22, 2007