    the number of files and size of the directories all on a single screen (or
    two)?

    TIA---
    Fan, Sep 22, 2005

  2. Fan

    Charles Guest

    On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 18:46:10 -0700, "Fan" <>
    wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I've got a PC with a lot of files (mostly digital images) that I need to
    >review, downsize, delete, etc.
    >
    >Rather than go through File-Properties for each directory, does anyone know
    >of a simple tool that will who me my overall directory structure along with
    >the number of files and size of the directories all on a single screen (or
    >two)?
    >
    >TIA---

    On a single screen?

    Just to see what would happen, I went to "Start" > "run" > "command" >
    "tree" (an old DOS command)

    Lots of stuff scrolled by, I have a messy pc.

    It didn't give me directory size, and I didn't pipe it to a printer or
    file, so it's gone now, but you could try that and see how much shows
    up there.
    Charles, Sep 22, 2005

  3. Fan

    Dave Cohen Guest

    A free utility called 'diskdata'. Do a google search. It's a standalone, no
    need for installation.
    Dave Cohen

    Dave Cohen, Sep 22, 2005
  4. Fan

    Jukka Aho Guest

    Fan wrote:

    > I've got a PC with a lot of files (mostly digital images) that I need
    > to review, downsize, delete, etc.
    >
    > Rather than go through File-Properties for each directory, does
    > anyone know of a simple tool that will who me my overall directory
    > structure along with the number of files and size of the directories
    > all on a single screen (or two)?

    I can't say enough good things about WinDirStat:

    <http://windirstat.sourceforge.net/>

    It will display you the contents of your disks and partitions
    graphically, as a single, intuitive overview of colorful, rectangular
    blocks. Each block represents a single file. The color of a block
    represents the file type. The size of the block corresponds directly to
    the relative size of that file (as compared to all the other blocks,...
    I mean, files!) Not only that, but the blocks are lumped together
    according to the directory structure where they live in. If you need a
    more detailed view of some odd nooks and corners, you can zoom in and
    out to your heart's content.

    It's a really intuitive approach at viewing the contents of your disks,
    and makes organizing and cleaning up the disk(s) a breeze. You can
    easily see which directories, files and file types take up the most of
    the space, and are in a dire need of some clean-up/archival attention.

    See this screenshot to get a glimpse:

    <http://windirstat.sourceforge.net/windirstat.jpg>

    --
    znark
    Jukka Aho, Sep 22, 2005
  5. Fan

    DanR Guest

    Fan wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I've got a PC with a lot of files (mostly digital images) that I need to
    > review, downsize, delete, etc.
    >
    > Rather than go through File-Properties for each directory, does anyone know
    > of a simple tool that will who me my overall directory structure along with
    > the number of files and size of the directories all on a single screen (or
    > two)?
    >
    > TIA---

    Take a look at this free Karenware utility.
    http://www.karenware.com/powertools/ptdirprn.asp
    DanR, Sep 22, 2005
  6. Fan

    Fan Guest

    Thanks Dave, Jukka, and Dan!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Fan, Sep 22, 2005
  7. Fan

    wrote:

    >>Hi,
    >>
    >>I've got a PC with a lot of files (mostly digital images) that I need to
    >>review, downsize, delete, etc.
    >>
    >>Rather than go through File-Properties for each directory, does anyone know
    >>of a simple tool that will who me my overall directory structure along with
    >>the number of files and size of the directories all on a single screen (or
    >>two)?
    >>
    >>TIA---

    Treesize (free version) at
    http://www.jam-software.com/freeware/index.shtml
    , Sep 22, 2005
  8. Fan wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I've got a PC with a lot of files (mostly digital images) that I need
    > to review, downsize, delete, etc.
    >
    > Rather than go through File-Properties for each directory, does
    > anyone know of a simple tool that will who me my overall directory
    > structure along with the number of files and size of the directories
    > all on a single screen (or two)?
    >
    > TIA---

    My free ShowMan program:

    http://odin/blueyonder/software/disk.html#ShowMan

    David
    David J Taylor, Sep 22, 2005
  9. Fan

    Guest

    On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 02:06:23 GMT, "Dave Cohen" <>
    wrote:

    >A free utility called 'diskdata'. Do a google search. It's a standalone, no
    >need for installation.

    Actually it's a 30-day evaluation and does require
    installation (ddsetup.exe). Nice program, though.

    >Dave Cohen
    >
    >"Fan" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I've got a PC with a lot of files (mostly digital images) that I need to
    >> review, downsize, delete, etc.
    >>
    >> Rather than go through File-Properties for each directory, does anyone
    >> know of a simple tool that will who me my overall directory structure
    >> along with the number of files and size of the directories all on a single
    >> screen (or two)?
    >>
    >> TIA---

    , Sep 22, 2005