Directory Service unavailable for Network Printing

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by =?Utf-8?B?U3VzaWUtUQ==?=, Dec 17, 2005.

  1. Every once in a while, for no particular reason that I can fathom, when I
    click on the "Find Printer" in the Print dialog box, I get the "Find..."
    window grayed out and covered with a dialog box stating "Directory Service is
    currently unavailable".

    I am on a small home network and am working wirelessly from a laptop to
    connect to certain printers in other rooms. I CAN see them if I select
    "Printers and Faxes" from the "Start" menu - but can't access them from the
    program I'm trying to print from (Word mostly). Just this a.m. I used the
    "Find Printer" several times no problem - then a little while later I got the
    above error messge. I've searched and searched the KB and these boards and
    just don't find anything about this.

    Does anyone know what causes this and how to fix it? Thanks mucho in
    advance - I'm ready to get out the hammer....>:-|

    Sys Info:

    Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2
    (2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.050301-1519)
    Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    System Manufacturer: Gateway
    System Model: Solo 9300 Pro
    BIOS: PhoenixBIOS 4.0 Release 6.0
    Processor: Intel Pentium III, ~640MHz
    Memory: 416MB RAM
    Page File: 426MB used, 562MB available
    Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
    DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

    --
    To reply directly take out the ".not." in the address:
    .

    =?Utf-8?B?U3VzaWUtUQ==?=, Dec 17, 2005

  2. "Find Printer" works only in Active Directory environment

    Simas Kvilius, Dec 18, 2005

  3. Hi Simas - Thanks for answering. I must have been working in an Active
    Directory Service since I've used the "find Printer" in the past many times.

    I just don't know what makes it turn itself off - and more importantly, how
    I make sure I know how to turn on the Active Service Directly (or repair it
    as the case may be.

    Is this some kind of command from Administration Tools? If so, how do I
    check or activate it?

    Thanks again,
    Susie

    =?Utf-8?B?U3VzaWUtUQ==?=, Dec 18, 2005
  4. =?Utf-8?B?U3VzaWUtUQ==?=

    HPD145_Problem

    Joined:
    Aug 29, 2007
    Messages:
    2
    Directory Service not available

    Susie,
    Did you ever get a resolution to your problem?
    I am having the same problem on my home wireless network.

    HPD145_Problem, Aug 29, 2007
  6. =?Utf-8?B?U3VzaWUtUQ==?=

    shumaker212

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 2010
    Messages:
    2

    shumaker212, Jul 6, 2010
  7. =?Utf-8?B?U3VzaWUtUQ==?=

    Bonfiglio

    Joined:
    Apr 27, 2010
    Messages:
    3
    Folder Printer

    there are some tools to print directory listings, i use folder printer for such aim

    find : print-directory.com

    Bonfiglio, Jul 23, 2010