Directories : Programm Files

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Juergen Kluth, May 20, 2005.

  1. Hi,

    I got just aware of having 2 directories ;

    1rst "Program Files [x86]" -english written
    2nd "Programme [x86]" -german written

    I do have RTM with MUI installed. I am anyhow surprised about that. Was that
    "Programme [x86]" (my language)
    with subtree installed by MUI ? to be the default installation-directory for
    some Designed for Windows software in my language ?

    Would be the "english" directory "Programm Files..." the default for some
    english software-version ?

    Is this typical for MUI based OS Versions ? I have not been working with one
    before.

    May i expect the same if 64 bit version of software is available ?

    Any Link ?

    regards jk

    Juergen Kluth, May 20, 2005

  2. Juergen -- Yours is the first report I've seen, and I'm afraid my native
    language is English. (Or American, not quite the same, but close enough for
    these purposes.) It very much sounds like the German MUI has created the
    German virtual directory structure.

    --
    Charlie.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 20, 2005

  3. Hi,
    this directory structure is not virtual.

    /*some part of a "set" at commandprompt*/

    CommonProgramFiles=D:\Program Files\Common Files
    CommonProgramFiles(x86)=D:\Programme (x86)\Gemeinsame Dateien /*german*/

    ProgramFiles=D:\Program Files
    ProgramFiles(x86)=D:\Programme (x86)

    Interesting to me ist, that for the x86 - part the system-variables point to
    "my language" folder,
    for the 64bit - part still to the "native" one.

    regards jk

    Juergen Kluth, May 21, 2005
  4. No, you're right, virtual isn't quite the right word. But it's a kind of
    redirection -- if you look at the directory structure using a 32-bit
    programme, you'll see what I mean. Try starting the 32 bit version of Windows
    Explorer -- you'll have a very different view of the file system.

    --
    Charlie.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 21, 2005
  5. Hi Juergen,

    may be you've installed a german software like a game. The "Install Shield
    Wizard" recommands you a place where it should be installed, like:
    C:\Programme\Spiel_X
    If your PC doesn't find the folder "Programme" he will create this. The
    Extension (x86) is added automaticly.
    Otherwise if you install f.e. a Lucas Arts Game in your german WinXP, you'll
    find a new "Program Files" Folder, if you set the default installation.

    cu helXe

    helXe maibaum, May 21, 2005
  6. Hi,

    There is functionnality in MUI to make some folder names "look" translated
    in Explorer (typical example are "My Documents", "My Music", etc...) but the
    physical folders names should NOT be localized.

    I'm not seeing the German "Programme (x86)" on any computer I've setup with
    German MUI. This could be created by a German application that installs in a
    localized folder but that doesn't quite explain the output of SET command
    that Juergen reported below. If some of you are also affected by this, feel
    free to post and we can try to understand what may be causing this.

    Thanks
    --
    Bruno Lewin [MSFT]

    message de news:...