Directly open WinXP SP2 folders using Registry "App Paths" key default value

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Shaft Drive, Aug 26, 2005.

  1. Shaft Drive

    Shaft Drive Guest

    Did Windows XP SP2 break the very useful Registry App Paths folder
    option?

    I swear the Registry App Path used to work for folders in WinXP SP1 (at
    least I thought it always worked)!

    For example, in SP1 (and every prior release of Microsoft Windows up to
    Windows 95), when I wanted to open my work-in-progress photograph
    folder, I would just type "pic" at the Start->Run command line and up
    would pop the desired folder which is kept at: c:\data\personal\wip\pic

    All I did in the past to set this up was to edit the key:
    "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths"
    To add a new key:
    "pic.exe"
    With a default value of:
    "c:\data\personal\wip\pic"

    This worked fine in Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows 2000, and (I
    thought), in Windows XP SP1 (IIRC) ... but when I do this simple
    registry change in Windows XP SP2, I get the error:

    "Windows cannot find 'pic'.
    Maker sure you typed the name correctly, and try again.
    To search for a file, click the Start button, and then click Search."

    Does anyone know how set the WinXP SP2 registry to open a folder at the
    Start->Run command line simply by typing the name of the folder?
    Shaft Drive, Aug 26, 2005

  2. Shaft Drive

    Galen Guest

    In news:,
    Shaft Drive <> had this to say:

    > Did Windows XP SP2 break the very useful Registry App Paths folder
    > option?
    >
    > I swear the Registry App Path used to work for folders in WinXP SP1
    > (at least I thought it always worked)!
    >
    > For example, in SP1 (and every prior release of Microsoft Windows up
    > to Windows 95), when I wanted to open my work-in-progress photograph
    > folder, I would just type "pic" at the Start->Run command line and up
    > would pop the desired folder which is kept at:
    > c:\data\personal\wip\pic
    >
    > All I did in the past to set this up was to edit the key:
    > "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths"
    > To add a new key:
    > "pic.exe"
    > With a default value of:
    > "c:\data\personal\wip\pic"
    >
    > This worked fine in Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows 2000, and (I
    > thought), in Windows XP SP1 (IIRC) ... but when I do this simple
    > registry change in Windows XP SP2, I get the error:
    >
    > "Windows cannot find 'pic'.
    > Maker sure you typed the name correctly, and try again.
    > To search for a file, click the Start button, and then click Search."
    >
    > Does anyone know how set the WinXP SP2 registry to open a folder at
    > the Start->Run command line simply by typing the name of the folder?

    Here's a work-around for you. I just take a shortcut to the item (call it
    app.exe) and drag it into the C:\Windows\ directory, rename it to app (no
    exe) and then I just type "app" without the quotes into the run command box.
    It's dirty and not so very professional but it works well enough.

    Galen
    --

    "Chance has put in our way a most singular and whimsical problem, and
    its solution is its own reward."

    Sherlock Holmes
    Galen, Aug 26, 2005

  3. Shaft Drive

    Trax Guest

    "Shaft Drive" <> wrote:

    |>Did Windows XP SP2 break the very useful Registry App Paths folder
    |>option?
    |>
    |>I swear the Registry App Path used to work for folders in WinXP SP1 (at
    |>least I thought it always worked)!
    |>
    |>For example, in SP1 (and every prior release of Microsoft Windows up to
    |>Windows 95), when I wanted to open my work-in-progress photograph
    |>folder, I would just type "pic" at the Start->Run command line and up
    |>would pop the desired folder which is kept at: c:\data\personal\wip\pic
    |>
    |>All I did in the past to set this up was to edit the key:
    |> "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths"
    |>To add a new key:
    |> "pic.exe"
    |>With a default value of:
    |> "c:\data\personal\wip\pic"
    |>
    |>This worked fine in Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows 2000, and (I
    |>thought), in Windows XP SP1 (IIRC) ... but when I do this simple
    |>registry change in Windows XP SP2, I get the error:
    |>
    |>"Windows cannot find 'pic'.
    |>Maker sure you typed the name correctly, and try again.
    |>To search for a file, click the Start button, and then click Search."
    |>
    |>Does anyone know how set the WinXP SP2 registry to open a folder at the
    |>Start->Run command line simply by typing the name of the folder?

    A work around...

    Right click on "My Computer"
    Properties
    Environment Variables
    ADD a new variable
    Name PIC
    Variable: <Your directory>

    In the run command you would enter: %pic%

    Seeing as PIC is now a variable, you can also use it in a DOS/CMD
    window as a shortcut.

    --

    http://www.honeynet.org/papers/bots/
    Trax, Aug 26, 2005
  4. Shaft Drive

    Paul Koch Guest

    On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 19:32:32 +1000, Alan Edwards wrote:
    > What happens if you give it a chance and make the default value
    > "c:\data\personal\wip\pic.exe"

    That's a wholly incorrect response if I may say so myself.
    The guy wants to open up a FOLDER (not run an executable)!

    In the old days, one could open the folder defined by the key:
    C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\My Photographs
    simply by typing at the Start Run command line:
    pic
    if the default for the key below were set to that directory:
    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths =
    pic.exe
    Where the default value for the pic.exe key is set to:
    "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\My Photographs"

    I think it's a bug in the Windows XP registry that this no longer works.
    Someone should report it to Microsoft so that they may fix this bug.

    Note: It's a classic Microsoft stupidism that the "App Paths" key NAME must
    end with ".exe" even when you are NOT opening up an executable!
    Paul Koch, Aug 28, 2005