Directly linking to files such as MSWord

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by willy_gates, May 14, 2004.

  1. willy_gates

    willy_gates Guest

    Hello

    I have created a set of html pages to up our intranet. Sometimes I use
    Mozilla and sometimes IE to browse these pages.

    One of the pages has something like

    "To see company accounts see this spreadsheet"

    with a link to a Excel spreadsheet on one of the servers.

    IE brings up the speadsheet whereas Mozilla opens a local copy in TEMP.

    So saving any changes to the sheet will save to a TEMP file be lost if I
    navigated there using Mozilla, but IE will let me modify the document
    directly.

    For our Intranet, IE is the way I would like it to work.

    I tried to fool Mozilla by linking to a (MS) shortcut to the actual file and
    it sort of worked, the actual file was displayed correctly, however when I
    closed Mozilla and it began clearing its TEMP files it deleted my document
    because it thought that it had downloaded it :(

    I understand why MS IE works in a different way to Mozilla but how do I go
    about linking to the actual documents using Mozilla.

    Thanks

    David
    willy_gates, May 14, 2004