DirectCD /rewritable CD on Samsung DVD drive?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Rolf, Jan 3, 2009.

  1. Rolf

    Rolf Guest

    Here is what I want to do:

    Since my motherboard's bios don't recognize USB memory, I can't create a
    bootable and modifiable Ubuntu installation on a UIB stick. Even if maybe a
    bios update is available, I don't feel like going that way because I've
    never tried it and I find the instructions/procedure rather confusing. And
    it seems people often get into problems when they try to update. Would it be
    possible to use a direct rewriteable CD instead?

    I was trying to install Adaptec/Memorex software (DirectCD) that I got with
    a Memorex CD drive some years ago, to see if I could use my Samsung
    Writemaster DVD drive.

    In XP, I was informed about a compatibility problem and was advised to buy
    Roxio software.

    I hesitate to buy anything I may not have any use for.

    So I booted Win2k and when asked if I wanted to install DirectCD I said yes,
    but nothing visible happened. I discovered that something had happened
    though; two icons on the desketop:

    A file: Burning dvd-iso-image-with-nero-express.html, with a corresponding
    folder with accompanying files.

    There I only find info about the use of Nero.

    Is there a solution available? Or maybe I should install the Memorex drive -
    if I can find room for it?

    Rolf
    Rolf, Jan 3, 2009

  2. Rolf

    Rolf Guest

    §ñühw¤£f wrote:
    > Rolf <> pinched out a steaming pile
    > of<495f6791$0$17876$2.net>:
    >
    >> Here is what I want to do:
    >>

    >> Since my motherboard's bios don't recognize USB memory, I can't
    >> create a bootable and modifiable Ubuntu installation on a UIB stick.

    > If yer pc is old enought to have a floppy drive you can boot from the
    > floppy and use the USB stick as your Ubuntu desktop.

    OK, I presume I then can modify the system and have the same options as I
    otherwise would with a USB stick?

    Rolf, Jan 3, 2009

  3. Rolf wrote:
    > §ñühw¤£f wrote:
    >> Rolf <> pinched out a steaming pile
    >> of<495f6791$0$17876$2.net>:
    >>
    >>> Here is what I want to do:
    >>>

    >>> Since my motherboard's bios don't recognize USB memory, I can't
    >>> create a bootable and modifiable Ubuntu installation on a UIB stick.

    >> If yer pc is old enought to have a floppy drive you can boot from the
    >> floppy and use the USB stick as your Ubuntu desktop.
    >>

    > OK, I presume I then can modify the system and have the same options as I
    > otherwise would with a USB stick?

    By "modify the system" you mean upgrade the BIOS?
    Sure, its always fun to play "flash the BIOS".

    @_@
    §ñühw¤£f, Jan 3, 2009
  4. Rolf

    Rolf Guest

    §ñühw¤£f wrote:
    > Rolf wrote:
    >> §ñühw¤£f wrote:
    >>> Rolf <> pinched out a steaming pile

    >>> If yer pc is old enought to have a floppy drive you can boot from
    >>> the floppy and use the USB stick as your Ubuntu desktop.
    >>>

    >> OK, I presume I then can modify the system and have the same options
    >> as I otherwise would with a USB stick?
    >>

    > By "modify the system" you mean upgrade the BIOS?
    > Sure, its always fun to play "flash the BIOS".

    No, In this context, 'system' referred to the Ubuntu operating system.
    I think I'd rather buy a new mobo instead of playing "flash the BIOS".
    Asus M2N-E for sale ...

    Rolf, Jan 4, 2009