    Kue2 Guest

    what is the latest version available for Win XP 64?
    what is the latest version available for Vista Ultimate 64?
    Kue2, Apr 29, 2007

  2. Kue2

    Dale White Guest

    DX 9.0c is the latest full version for XP, with an April 2007 update for the
    runtime files

    You can apply those same April updates to Vista(32 or 64). This is outside
    of theDX10 that Vista also has.

    Dale White, Apr 29, 2007

  3. Dale:
    There seems to be no need of updating DirectX 9 in Vista.
    I regularly check what updates have been installed and there is no update
    for DirectX 9.
    The one embedded in Vista DVD seems to be fine.
    Carlos

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, Apr 29, 2007
  4. Kue2

    Kue2 Guest

    Carlos: Directx in vista is version 10

    Kue2, Apr 29, 2007
  5. Kue2

    Dale White Guest

    I don't know what to tell you, if you haven't applied any of the runtime
    updates to Vista and you try to run a game like FEAR, BF2142, 3dMark06
    without applying those updates, you're going to get a d3dx9_33.dll missing
    message. Apply any of the DX9 runtime updates and that problem goes away.

    Dale White, Apr 29, 2007
  6. Kue2

    Dale White Guest

    Vista has both DX9.0L and DX10 installed

    The technical stuff can be read here

    Dale White, Apr 29, 2007
  7. Kue2

    Kue2 Guest

    Hi Dale
    your information is very interesting.
    View this link the system requirements do not list Vista as a supported
    operating system.
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...-BC6A-9B6652CD92A3&mg_id=10118&displaylang=en

    Kue2, Apr 29, 2007
  8. I note that Nero 7.x (latest version) insists upon installing DirectX 9.0c
    in Vista before installing itself. If 9.0L is in Vista, I wonder why it
    can't use that.

    Milhouse Van Houten, Apr 29, 2007
  9. Kue2

    John Barnes Guest

    I think you are dealing with really old information. As far as I know
    DirectX 9.0L was the Vista predecessor to DirectX 10 that has been in Vista
    from the beginning.

    John Barnes, Apr 29, 2007
  10. Kue2

    Kurt Herman Guest

    Because Nero isn't "looking" for DX9.L The people who programmed Nero hard
    coded it to look for DX9c. Simple , really.

    Its the same for almost every other game out there. They do a check for a
    specific flavor of DX9, and if its not there, installs it.

    Kurt

    Kurt Herman, Apr 29, 2007
  11. Kue2

    Dale White Guest

    Actually, I think they just hard code to install it regardless. When I
    install Battlefield 2, it wants to install DX9.0c, even though it's already
    instealled. if I cancel the install, it cancels the game install. This is
    under XP, as well as Vista.

    But has it's been pointed out before, it doesn't really install anything. It
    checks each file it wants to install and if the file is the same or newer,
    it doesn't install anything.

    Dale White, Apr 29, 2007
  12. Kue2

    Dale White Guest

    Here is a response that Chuck Walbourn of Microsoft posted in the
    vista.games section on April 16th 2007

    "Technical clarification: Windows Vista's runtime supports Direct3D9,
    Direct3D9Ex, Direct3D10, and older interfaces. DXDiag reports it as "version
    10" for simplicity, but that number has been meaningless for a few years
    now. The Windows Vista runtime also supports all the other usual DirectX
    9.0c interfaces except DirectPlay Voice and Direct3D Retained Mode which
    were removed. When you run the DirectX End-User Runtime installer or a game
    uses the DirectSetup REDIST on Windows Vista (or XP SP 2 for that matter)
    nothing in the runtime gets updated or installed. Only the SDK optional
    components like D3DX9, D3DX10, XACT, XINPUT, etc. get installed.

    The new Aero desktop uses Direct3D9Ex. This API requires Windows Vista, a
    DX9 card, and a WDDM driver. It does NOT require Direct3D 10.

    The Direct3D 10 API requires Windows Vista and a Direct3D 10 video card. No
    released game creates a Direct3D 10 device at this time, although a number
    of them have been announced as coming in future products and/or patches"

    Here is a snapshot of trying to run a game like Fear, before installing the
    DirectSetup REDIST
    http://images1.filecloud.com/431143/missing_DX_file.jpg

    You get the same error message if you try to run Fear under XP.

    Apply any of the runtime updates, and the error goes away and the game works
    fine. Chuck advises against, going out to the web and grabbing just the one
    file. Not it points you to the DX runtime files

    From his April 9th post in Vista.games

    "You should never download system components from random websites and drop
    them on your system unless you know they come from a reliable source. That's
    a fast way to get hacked. If you are missing any version of D3DX due to a
    failed or badly desigend installer, run the DirectX End-User Runtime
    Installer on the Microsoft site and it will install all the supporting SDK
    components we've released. Got to http://www.microsoft.com/directx/ and
    follow the link for "Get the Latest DirectX Here"

    Dale White, Apr 29, 2007
  13. Kue2

    John Barnes Guest

    Thanks for the info.

    Reading the info, it appears Chuck Walbourn doesn't believe in forests, only
    trees. Directx 9.0l (longhorn) was in fact the name of the Vista DirectX
    10) Google it.
    In terms of the trees, he indicates some of the backwards compatible trees
    were thinned out.
    It appears that some of these trees can be transplanted into the new forest.
    That does not mean that DirectX 9 and DirectX 10 are both running. (Only
    that you can add a few modules of DirectX 9 to DirectX 10)
    A forest by any other name is still a forest but it is nice to have detail
    level people available to provide workarounds when forest level people
    decide to thin the forest.
    Those of us here also experience a similar situation by having he 16-bit
    trees thinned from our 64-bit forest.

    Again, thanks for providing the information here that certain modules that
    are necessary to run older games can be added so that those games can run on
    Vista. Hopefully that works for both 32 and 64-bit versions.

    John Barnes, Apr 30, 2007
  14. "Direct3D 9.0L" was marketing speak to indicate "something newer than
    DirectX 9.0c but not 10". Since Direct3D9Ex and Direct3D10 only work on the
    Windows Vista DX Runtime and there is no down-level package, there's really
    no difference. You can in fact have Direct3D 9, Direct3D9Ex, and a Direct3D
    10 applications all running at the same time and Windows Vista will handle
    it.

    The main point of confusion here is the difference between the 'core
    runtime' which has been part of the OS since Windows XP SP 2 and all the
    optional bits that tend to change every 2 months in the DX SDK. Years of
    habit have conditions gamers to know what "DirectX 9.0c" means, but they
    don't have any idea that it doesn't mean "DirectX" anymore but just the SDK
    bits the game might have used.

    In any case, running the latest End User DirectX Runtime Installer
    <http://www.microsoft.com/directx/> should put all possible SDK bits onto
    your machine no matter what you are running X64, X86, or even a fresh
    install of Windows XP gold. Ideally the game developer would've done the
    right thing with their installers, but deployment is not an area game
    developers find very sexy or pay much attention to.

    --
    Chuck Walbourn
    SDE, XNA Developer Connection

    Chuck Walbourn [MSFT], May 1, 2007