  1. does anyone know if direct x is available for windows 64
    thanks
    --
    =?Utf-8?B?Q2hhcmxlcw==?=, Jul 13, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?Q2hhcmxlcw==?=

    DKI Guest

    Direct X9C which is the latest version is included in XP X64

    DKI, Jul 13, 2005

  3. =?Utf-8?B?Q2hhcmxlcw==?=

    Torrey Lauer Guest

    Yes, it's already in Windows x64. There is NO need to download it.

    --
    Torrey Lauer
    Modern Travel Services

    Rainbow Sky Travel
    rainbow sky travel DOT net

    Torrey Lauer, Jul 13, 2005
  4. DirectX 9.0c is installed automatically when the OS is installed.
    Select Start / All Programs / Accessories / System Tools / System
    Information. Then when that window pops up select Tools / DirectX Diagnostic
    Tool and check your "already installed" DirectX settings.

    You DO NOT NEED to install any version of DirectX out of the box with x64.
    It ships with DX9.0c which should handle anything you can throw at it just
    fine. I havent had any trouble with gaming on x64 using the base
    installation, so you should be fine too.

    Now, if you have issues with DX compatbility thats another thing completely.
    Some older games wont run on DX9 and this can cause you issues on x64. If
    thats the case and you have to have that game on your system, consider a
    dual boot installation of 32 and 64bit Windows to resolve the issue, or
    consider buying a new game, there's plenty out there.
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 13, 2005
  5. Which brings to mind a tangential question; does compatibility mode help?

    Colin Barnhorst, Jul 13, 2005
  6. I figured since you guys were on the subject of Direct X if you could help me
    out. I was running battlefield 1942 on 2003 server no problem. Then I got SP1
    and it still worked, but I also seen a non-critical update for direct x. I
    downloaded that and now when I go to start the game it acts like it's loading
    up and then I hear a beep and it quits and there's no error messages and
    nothing in the event viewer. I tried re-installing the game, but I still get
    the same problem. I went to add and remove programs to see if I could roll
    back that one security update but can't seem to figure out how to do that.
    The only thing I see in the add and remove programs is the SP1. Any ideas on
    how I could fix this without reloading the whole operating system?
    --
    Jason Andis

    =?Utf-8?B?amFzYW5kNDc0NA==?=, Jul 14, 2005
  7. =?Utf-8?B?Q2hhcmxlcw==?=

    Rick Guest

    When did SP1 for Windows x64 get published as a separate upgrade? I was
    under the impression the Windows x64 (Server 2003 and XP Professional)
    were published with SP1 integrated. So, how could there be an option to
    un-install something that was part of the core OS to start with?

    Rick, Jul 14, 2005
  8. =?Utf-8?B?Q2hhcmxlcw==?=

    John Barnes Guest

    I don't think he is referring to 64-bit and he only wants to remove the
    non-critical update.

    John Barnes, Jul 14, 2005
  9. =?Utf-8?B?Q2hhcmxlcw==?=

    Rick Guest

    Some of Microsoft's update are not able to be removed regardless of
    their criticality. If it's not listed "Add or Remove Programs" panel,
    then it probably is an update that cannot be un-installed.

    Rick, Jul 14, 2005
  10. This is not the 64bit OS. So I'm pretty much screwed and will have to reload
    the OS to get it to work again?
    --
    Jason Andis

    =?Utf-8?B?amFzYW5kNDc0NA==?=, Jul 15, 2005
  11. =?Utf-8?B?Q2hhcmxlcw==?=

    Rick Guest

    Then I would surmise you are posting in the wrong news group. This news
    group if for 64 bit OS's.

    Rick, Jul 15, 2005
  12. =?Utf-8?B?Q2hhcmxlcw==?=

    John Barnes Guest

    Before doing that, I would try to do a system restore to before your DirectX
    update. Also a recommendation to do a drive image before installing
    anything critical to your functions.

    John Barnes, Jul 15, 2005
  13. =?Utf-8?B?Q2hhcmxlcw==?=

    DKI Guest

    Well despite asking here i think it would be approiate to ask the right news
    group since this is for 64bit Operating systems only.

    On that note some updates won't be show unless you have the show updates box
    up the top ticked. or do a system rollback since it was an update that
    causing the issue.

    Start Menu Programs Accessories System Tools System Restore will allow you
    to rollback without having to format. it seems like the best option.

    DKI, Jul 16, 2005
  14. I agree with System restore, that looks like the best way to remove any
    unwanted updates. Correct newsgroup anyway is
    microsoft.public.windowsxp.general

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 16, 2005
  15. =?Utf-8?B?Q2hhcmxlcw==?=

    DKI Guest

    Andre can you post him the link to the Windows Server 2003 news group since
    he was asking about the issue on Windows Server 2003

    DKI, Jul 16, 2005
  16. Christian Hougardy, Jul 16, 2005