Direct to CD printing

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Rider, Mar 3, 2005.

  1. Rider

    Bob McLellan Guest

    Assuming you are talking about an ordinary inkjet that 'by the way, can
    print on CD's', the Epsons are ok.

    Bob McLellan, Mar 5, 2005

  2. Rider

    E. Scrooge Guest

    <BILL bs.xxxxxxxxxx.corn> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 5 Mar 2005 21:01:20 +1300, "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz

    (*sling)>
    > wrote:
    >

    > ><BILL bs.xxxxxxxxxx.corn> wrote in message
    > >> On Sat, 5 Mar 2005 17:58:28 +1300, "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz
    > >> (*sling)>

    than

    and

    http://qmb.co.nz/c.aspx?r=38416.7178230903&c=Hardware&s=BlankCDDVD&ss=CDR Pa
    ck

    wonder

    > >> Imation & Verbatim do 50 CD Spindles..
    > >>

    > >> The trough in the Printer but rip you off for the Ink
    > >>

    > >> a Set of 6 tanks for the R210 will cost you some 70% of the price of

    the
    > >> printer.
    > >>
    > >> My next Tanks will be Jettec 30% more ink and 25% less cost..
    > >>

    > >> Go get a Canon i965 at around $2xx from Wellington Photographic's,
    > >> last
    > >> years model..
    > >>
    > >> Ink Tanks last longer and are a lot cheaper, Epson tanks leave 20%

    ink
    > >> left
    > >> when stating its empty..
    > >>
    > >> From memory Canon use a Optical method for testing Ink levels..

    > >Very good, Roger. I favour the Epson, but the Canon models are looking
    > >pretty good as well.
    > >
    > >Using cheaper inks is fine, but will the prints last as long compared to
    > >using genuine Epson inks? In these new printers the Epson inks might

    give
    > >better more lasting results. If other Ink compaines are using similar

    inks
    > >then it probably doesn't make much difference.
    > >
    > >E. Scrooge
    > >

    > Not with the R210 or R310 only uses New dye-based ink
    >

    > If you want longer life you have to get the R800 that uses New UltraChrome
    > Hi-Gloss pigment inks or the printers that use EPSON DURABrite INK.
    >
    > Epson Tanks have a 2 year shelf life and a 6 months installed life, plus

    you
    > must power up the Epson once a week to clear the print heads.
    >
    > Yes I am a Epson user, 3rd model but you need to know how to mother them
    >
    > The Canon Tanks are $24 and $28.95 for the Epson from memory
    >
    > Epson Print heads do not burn out like the Canon, the Canon heads are

    rated
    > for 18 month use..

    My old Epson Stylus colour is still going, though well behind in quality
    these days. The good thing about it is that with the little use it gets
    during the year apart from a few Christmas cards, the thing still works.
    It's slowly paid back over the years the $1,700 that it cost when new. Even
    the dirt cheap $7 colour cartridges from K-Mart (past use by date) when
    bought still work well enough in it. Lucky to even still find a colour and
    black cartridges for it.

    With photos I want to do with a new printer, it will have been worth it's
    cheap price as soon as it's done them.
    I read about the R800 having good long lasting inks, but also even the inks
    in the other cheaper models are better than they used to be to when my old
    printer hit the market. The build quality of Epson seems to be of a good
    enough standard. I've seen good sample pictures at Harvey Norman for both
    Epson and Cannon models, only thing there's no actual proof that those same
    model of printers actually printed those flash high quality samples provided
    by Cannon and Epson. Odd thing about some of the Cannon samples is that
    they were pretty heavy handed on the colour. I see Dick Smith has cheap
    inks for Cannons, whether they're any good would be another matter, could be
    shit quality as far as lasting goes. I'll probably go for an Epson, it's
    not much of a risk at the cheap prices they're going for.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Mar 5, 2005

  3. Rider

    Mutley Guest

    "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz (*sling)> wrote:

    >Apart from direct printing from memory card for the Epson R310, I don't see
    >much other difference between it and the R210.
    >The prices of printers have never been better these days. Make me wonder if
    >some models aren't about to be replaced.
    >
    >E. Scrooge

    How do you figure that NZ $ 279 is a good cheap price for these things
    when you can buy them in the US after rebates for US$54???

    Mutley, Mar 6, 2005
  4. Rider

    Axle Guest

    Mutley wrote:
    > "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz (*sling)> wrote:
    >

    >>Apart from direct printing from memory card for the Epson R310, I don't see
    >>much other difference between it and the R210.
    >>The prices of printers have never been better these days. Make me wonder if
    >>some models aren't about to be replaced.
    >>
    >>E. Scrooge
    >>

    > How do you figure that NZ $ 279 is a good cheap price for these things
    > when you can buy them in the US after rebates for US$54???

    Can you get that deal here including all customs fees and freight costs ?

    Axle, Mar 6, 2005
  5. Rider

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "Mutley" <> wrote in message
    > "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz (*sling)> wrote:
    >

    >>Apart from direct printing from memory card for the Epson R310, I don't
    >>see
    >>much other difference between it and the R210.
    >>The prices of printers have never been better these days. Make me wonder
    >>if
    >>some models aren't about to be replaced.
    >>
    >>E. Scrooge
    >>

    > How do you figure that NZ $ 279 is a good cheap price for these things
    > when you can buy them in the US after rebates for US$54???

    Axle is right.
    Also the US has a much bigger market, or did you think the total population
    is about the same in both countries?

    The same thing can be seen here for some products. How much is a large
    bottle coke at a takeaway or small dairy? Now how much is the same size
    bottle of coke in a supermarket that would order at least 1,000 of the
    bottles of coke at a time?
    If a takeaway had 1,000 bottles of coke there'd hardly be enough room to get
    into the place. By only ordering a couple of dozen at a time the deal they
    get would be nothing like the supermarket.
    With the range of printers, and the small number of people that need a new
    printer, they're hardly a fast moving item. In fact a lot of hardware is
    hardly all that fast moving. You never see 20 customer walking out with 20
    printers, or even 20 digital cameras. More like drip sales compared to the
    high volume sales for other products like food and petrol.

    The R210 is about $267(or 9), while the R310 is only $299 at Harvey Norman
    at the moment. A Canon ip3000 is about $245. Epson inks claim to be ozone
    resistant and long lasting, though the R800 inks have an even longer life.

    For the quality of the prints anything for under $300 is pretty damn good
    going. The ESC P2 with the amazing 720 X 720dpi was $1,699 when it was
    first released. Bloody well built though, completely reliable even when not
    in use for long periods of time.

    If the cost is more important than the use you'll get out of it, then don't
    bother buying it in the first place.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Mar 6, 2005
  6. On Sun, 06 Mar 2005 19:04:38 +1300, Axle <> wrote:

    >Mutley wrote:
    >> "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz (*sling)> wrote:
    >>

    >>>Apart from direct printing from memory card for the Epson R310, I don't see
    >>>much other difference between it and the R210.
    >>>The prices of printers have never been better these days. Make me wonder if
    >>>some models aren't about to be replaced.
    >>>
    >>>E. Scrooge
    >>>

    >> How do you figure that NZ $ 279 is a good cheap price for these things
    >> when you can buy them in the US after rebates for US$54???

    >Can you get that deal here including all customs fees and freight costs ?

    But you do not under stand the Point the Printers are not made in the US, they
    also have to import them, we get ours via OZZ at Masive mark ups..

    EPSON Prices here are the dearest in the World..

    BILL bs.xxxxxxxxxx.corn, Mar 6, 2005
  7. Rider

    > On Sun, 06 Mar 2005 19:04:38 +1300, Axle <> wrote:
    >
    >>Mutley wrote:

    >>> How do you figure that NZ $ 279 is a good cheap price for these things
    >>> when you can buy them in the US after rebates for US$54???

    >>Can you get that deal here including all customs fees and freight costs ?

    > But you do not under stand the Point the Printers are not made in the US,
    > they
    > also have to import them, we get ours via OZZ at Masive mark ups..
    >
    > EPSON Prices here are the dearest in the World..

    It's an odd one all right, considering the market in NZ is far larger than
    any other country in world. Hardly surprising that American retailers wish
    they could sell as many Epson printers that NZ retailers do. Going by
    latest government figures every household in the country owns 100 Epson
    printers.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Mar 6, 2005
  8. Rider

    Axle Guest

    BILL bs.xxxxxxxxxx.corn wrote:
    > On Sun, 06 Mar 2005 19:04:38 +1300, Axle <> wrote:
    >

    >>Mutley wrote:

    >>>How do you figure that NZ $ 279 is a good cheap price for these things
    >>>when you can buy them in the US after rebates for US$54???

    >>Can you get that deal here including all customs fees and freight costs ?

    > But you do not under stand the Point the Printers are not made in the US, they
    > also have to import them, we get ours via OZZ at Masive mark ups..
    >
    > EPSON Prices here are the dearest in the World..

    Yeah, they get a discount deal for the amount they buy, and pass it on
    to the customer.
    Its called economy of scale, get used to it because its not going to change.

    Axle, Mar 6, 2005
  9. On Sun, 06 Mar 2005 21:19:08 +1300, Axle <> wrote:

    >BILL bs.xxxxxxxxxx.corn wrote:

    >>>Can you get that deal here including all customs fees and freight costs ?

    >> But you do not under stand the Point the Printers are not made in the US, they
    >> also have to import them, we get ours via OZZ at Masive mark ups..
    >>
    >> EPSON Prices here are the dearest in the World..
    >>

    >Yeah, they get a discount deal for the amount they buy, and pass it on
    >to the customer.
    >Its called economy of scale, get used to it because its not going to change.

    Well how about this them P n S sells 2 L Low fat PAM's milk for $3.10 but
    the 3L one is $4.25 ??

    So how come the 3L is 10c more, it should be 10c less, then more people would
    buy it..

    This is the Only country that I have live in were more costs a lot more in
    real terms..

    BILL bs.xxxxxxxxxx.corn, Mar 6, 2005
  10. Rider

    Chris Hope Guest

    BILL bs.xxxxxxxxxx.corn wrote:

    [snip]

    > Well how about this them P n S sells 2 L Low fat PAM's milk for
    > $3.10 but
    > the 3L one is $4.25 ??
    >
    > So how come the 3L is 10c more, it should be 10c less, then more
    > people would buy it..

    Ummm....

    $3.10 / 2L = $1.55 per litre
    $4.25 / 3L = $1.42 per litre (after rounding up)

    And just *how* is the 2L bottle more expensive than the 3L bottle?

    Chris Hope, Mar 6, 2005
  11. Rider

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "Axle" <> wrote in message
    > BILL bs.xxxxxxxxxx.corn wrote:

    >>>Can you get that deal here including all customs fees and freight costs ?

    >> But you do not under stand the Point the Printers are not made in the US,
    >> they
    >> also have to import them, we get ours via OZZ at Masive mark ups..
    >>
    >> EPSON Prices here are the dearest in the World..
    >>

    > Yeah, they get a discount deal for the amount they buy, and pass it on to
    > the customer.
    > Its called economy of scale, get used to it because its not going to
    > change.

    They also shift a lot more which means even more large orders for the stuff.
    Harvey Norman and other outfits can't keep putting in more little orders if
    what they've already got take takes several months to get rid of. As for
    Big Byte they must have stuff that dates right back to when they first
    opened the stores around the country. Big byte never worried about going
    for fast turnovers, if people didn't like the high prices that was okay by
    the management of Big Byte. They'd rather go out of business which they're
    doing than drop individual product profit margins, but still make real good
    money from plenty of stock turnovers.
    There just isn't the customers that want good quality mid range printers and
    other goods on up compared to the numbers of people that always buy the
    cheapest that's going. The quality goods are competing against the rock
    bottom budget goods.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Mar 6, 2005
  12. Rider

    Adder Guest

    In article <1109998686.512985@ftpsrv1>, scrooge@*shot.co.nz says...

    > "Chris Hope" <> wrote in message
    > > *sling wrote:
    > >

    > >> "Andrew Gerald" <> wrote in message

    > >> Do you need special blank CDRs or will any CDR with a plain surface
    > >> without dark colours do?

    > > You need special ink jet printable CDRs. They're only slightly more than
    > > normal ones though.
    > >
    > > Example here where the first vertex ones are printable ($18 for 50) and
    > > the second ones aren't ($16.90 for 50):
    > > http://qmb.co.nz/c.aspx?r=38416.7178230903&c=Hardware&s=BlankCDDVD&ss=CDR Pack
    > >

    > > --
    > > Chris Hope - The Electric Toolbox - http://www.electrictoolbox.com/

    > Thanks for that. Apart from a plain surface I didn't realise it would need
    > a special surface for the ink to do a decent job.

    the normal cd suface is teflon coted & wont absorb the ink which will
    smuge

    Adder, Mar 7, 2005
  13. Rider

    A Guest

    On Sun, 06 Mar 2005 21:57:00 +1300, Chris Hope
    <> wrote:

    >BILL bs.xxxxxxxxxx.corn wrote:
    >
    >[snip]
    >
    >> Well how about this them P n S sells 2 L Low fat PAM's milk for
    >> $3.10 but
    >> the 3L one is $4.25 ??
    >>
    >> So how come the 3L is 10c more, it should be 10c less, then more
    >> people would buy it..

    >Ummm....
    >
    >$3.10 / 2L = $1.55 per litre
    >$4.25 / 3L = $1.42 per litre (after rounding up)
    >
    >And just *how* is the 2L bottle more expensive than the 3L bottle?

    LOL! Another classic posting from Woger. Its hard to take the guy
    seriously (despite the rare occassion when he actually does post
    something useful)

    A, Mar 7, 2005
  14. In article <>,
    "Baranggay Ginebra" <> wrote:

    >My bubble jet printer just ran out out of ink
    >and buying new ink cartridges cost almost half
    >of what I can pay for a new printer. I figured, I'd rather
    >buy a new printer with a new feature i.e. direct to CD/DVD
    >printing.

    Wow, printers have become disposable...

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Mar 11, 2005
  15. In article <>,
    Mutley <> wrote:

    >How do you figure that NZ $ 279 is a good cheap price for these things
    >when you can buy them in the US after rebates for US$54???

    What is it _before_ rebates? Sometimes these rebate things are just this
    far removed from being a con.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Mar 11, 2005
  16. Rider

    Robert Cooze Guest

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > "Baranggay Ginebra" <> wrote:
    >

    >>My bubble jet printer just ran out out of ink
    >>and buying new ink cartridges cost almost half
    >>of what I can pay for a new printer. I figured, I'd rather
    >>buy a new printer with a new feature i.e. direct to CD/DVD
    >>printing.

    > Wow, printers have become disposable...

    As Part if my Job I fix Printers with a 100000 pages and or 3 year
    warrenty. Silly thing is now the price of the machine has droped to well
    under the 100000 maintinance Kit. so would you fix a machine out of
    warrenty for more than the cost of a new one with another three years
    and 100000. funny enough most people take the new machine :| wich kinda
    makes my job rudendunt for that machine, But under warrenty I have
    replaced most of the maintince kit LOL

    Robert Cooze, Mar 11, 2005