Direct to CD printing

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Rider, Mar 3, 2005.

  1. Rider

    Rider Guest

    "Baranggay Ginebra" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > My bubble jet printer just ran out out of ink
    > and buying new ink cartridges cost almost half
    > of what I can pay for a new printer. I figured, I'd rather
    > buy a new printer with a new feature i.e. direct to CD/DVD
    > printing.
    >
    > What can you can say about these printers that can print directly
    > to CD/DVD ? Any particular brand you can suggest ?
    >
    > cheers

    Canon IP3000, IP4000

    Baranggay Ginebra, Mar 3, 2005

  3. Rider

    Chris Hope Guest

    Baranggay Ginebra wrote:

    > My bubble jet printer just ran out out of ink
    > and buying new ink cartridges cost almost half
    > of what I can pay for a new printer. I figured, I'd rather
    > buy a new printer with a new feature i.e. direct to CD/DVD
    > printing.
    >
    > What can you can say about these printers that can print directly
    > to CD/DVD ? Any particular brand you can suggest ?

    I have a Canon IP3000 and it prints to CD and the result is very good.
    The software is very easy to use and it's also a photo printer. The
    last time I mentioned I have one of these printers here I was told by
    woger that it's crap blah blah blah and that the Epson 210 is the one
    to go for - the 210 also prints CDs and Photos.

    http://www.canon.com.au/products/home_office/printers/colour_bj_printers/ip3000.html
    http://www.epson.com.au/products/home_and_office/stylusPhotor210.asp

    Chris Hope, Mar 3, 2005
  4. On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 11:34:45 +1300, Chris Hope <>
    wrote:

    >Baranggay Ginebra wrote:
    >
    >> My bubble jet printer just ran out out of ink
    >> and buying new ink cartridges cost almost half
    >> of what I can pay for a new printer. I figured, I'd rather
    >> buy a new printer with a new feature i.e. direct to CD/DVD
    >> printing.
    >>
    >> What can you can say about these printers that can print directly
    >> to CD/DVD ? Any particular brand you can suggest ?

    >I have a Canon IP3000 and it prints to CD and the result is very good.
    >The software is very easy to use and it's also a photo printer. The
    >last time I mentioned I have one of these printers here I was told by
    >woger that it's crap blah blah blah and that the Epson 210 is the one
    >to go for - the 210 also prints CDs and Photos.
    >
    >http://www.canon.com.au/products/home_office/printers/colour_bj_printers/ip3000.html
    >http://www.epson.com.au/products/home_and_office/stylusPhotor210.asp

    The Canon i965 is a good buy at around $200 as the shops that are dumping
    them..

    And very cheap to run

    Mind you its a Full featured Photo printer.
    BILL bs.xxxxxxxxxx.corn, Mar 3, 2005
  5. Rider

    JedMeister Guest

    <BILL bs.xxxxxxxxxx.corn> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 11:34:45 +1300, Chris Hope
    > <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Baranggay Ginebra wrote:
    >>
    >>> My bubble jet printer just ran out out of ink
    >>> and buying new ink cartridges cost almost half
    >>> of what I can pay for a new printer. I figured, I'd rather
    >>> buy a new printer with a new feature i.e. direct to CD/DVD
    >>> printing.
    >>>
    >>> What can you can say about these printers that can print directly
    >>> to CD/DVD ? Any particular brand you can suggest ?

    >>I have a Canon IP3000 and it prints to CD and the result is very good.
    >>The software is very easy to use and it's also a photo printer. The
    >>last time I mentioned I have one of these printers here I was told by
    >>woger that it's crap blah blah blah and that the Epson 210 is the one
    >>to go for - the 210 also prints CDs and Photos.
    >>
    >>http://www.canon.com.au/products/home_office/printers/colour_bj_printers/ip3000.html
    >>http://www.epson.com.au/products/home_and_office/stylusPhotor210.asp

    > The Canon i965 is a good buy at around $200 as the shops that are dumping
    > them..
    >

    > And very cheap to run
    >
    > Mind you its a Full featured Photo printer.

    Really? I bought my i950 from harvey normans 2 years ago for $900.00. This
    is a better model, and 1/4 price. Damn.

    But, I have learnt my lesson, never buy chain store stuff, pricespy is your
    scottish friend.
    JedMeister, Mar 3, 2005
  6. Rider

    xlo Guest

    BILL bs.xxxxxxxxxx.corn wrote:

    > On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 11:34:45 +1300, Chris Hope <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>Baranggay Ginebra wrote:
    >>

    >>>My bubble jet printer just ran out out of ink
    >>>and buying new ink cartridges cost almost half
    >>>of what I can pay for a new printer. I figured, I'd rather
    >>>buy a new printer with a new feature i.e. direct to CD/DVD
    >>>printing.
    >>>
    >>>What can you can say about these printers that can print directly
    >>>to CD/DVD ? Any particular brand you can suggest ?

    >>I have a Canon IP3000 and it prints to CD and the result is very good.
    >>The software is very easy to use and it's also a photo printer. The
    >>last time I mentioned I have one of these printers here I was told by
    >>woger that it's crap blah blah blah and that the Epson 210 is the one
    >>to go for - the 210 also prints CDs and Photos.
    >>
    >>http://www.canon.com.au/products/home_office/printers/colour_bj_printers/ip3000.html
    >>http://www.epson.com.au/products/home_and_office/stylusPhotor210.asp

    > The Canon i965 is a good buy at around $200 as the shops that are dumping
    > them..
    >

    > And very cheap to run
    >
    > Mind you its a Full featured Photo printer.

    Where?
    Pricespy $629 / Global PC Chch.
    I want one for $200 - happy even if that excludes GST :)
    xlo, Mar 3, 2005
  7. On Fri, 4 Mar 2005 11:46:44 +1300, "JedMeister"
    <> wrote:

    ><BILL bs.xxxxxxxxxx.corn> wrote in message
    >> On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 11:34:45 +1300, Chris Hope
    >> <>
    >> wrote:

    >>>I have a Canon IP3000 and it prints to CD and the result is very good.
    >>>The software is very easy to use and it's also a photo printer. The
    >>>last time I mentioned I have one of these printers here I was told by
    >>>woger that it's crap blah blah blah and that the Epson 210 is the one
    >>>to go for - the 210 also prints CDs and Photos.
    >>>
    >>>http://www.canon.com.au/products/home_office/printers/colour_bj_printers/ip3000.html
    >>>http://www.epson.com.au/products/home_and_office/stylusPhotor210.asp

    >> The Canon i965 is a good buy at around $200 as the shops that are dumping
    >> them..
    >>

    >> And very cheap to run
    >>
    >> Mind you its a Full featured Photo printer.
    >>

    >Really? I bought my i950 from harvey normans 2 years ago for $900.00. This
    >is a better model, and 1/4 price. Damn.
    >
    >But, I have learnt my lesson, never buy chain store stuff, pricespy is your
    >scottish friend.

    No Wellington Photographic's Supplies.
    BILL bs.xxxxxxxxxx.corn, Mar 4, 2005
  8. Rider

    Gordon Guest

    On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 11:41:22 +1300, wrote:

    > The Canon i965 is a good buy at around $200 as the shops that are dumping
    > them..
    >

    > And very cheap to run

    Yes, but how far are you going BILL?
    Gordon, Mar 4, 2005
  9. Rider

    David Preece Guest

    Chris Hope wrote:
    > I was told by
    > woger that it's crap blah blah blah and that the Epson 210 is the one
    > to go for

    Epson printers are a pile of shite.

    Dave
    David Preece, Mar 4, 2005
  10. > The Canon i965 is a good buy at around $200 as the shops that are
    dumping
    > them..
    >

    > And very cheap to run
    >
    > Mind you its a Full featured Photo printer.

    Yes I have one of these and it's a great printer. Prints to CD much
    faster than the Epson R310 too.
    Andrew Gerald, Mar 4, 2005
  11. Rider

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "Andrew Gerald" <> wrote in message
    >> The Canon i965 is a good buy at around $200 as the shops that are

    > dumping
    >> them..
    >>

    >> And very cheap to run
    >>
    >> Mind you its a Full featured Photo printer.

    > Yes I have one of these and it's a great printer. Prints to CD much
    > faster than the Epson R310 too.

    Do you need special blank CDRs or will any CDR with a plain surface without
    dark colours do?

    E. Scrooge
    E. Scrooge, Mar 5, 2005
  12. Rider

    Chris Hope Guest

    *sling wrote:

    > "Andrew Gerald" <> wrote in message
    >>> The Canon i965 is a good buy at around $200 as the shops that are

    >> dumping
    >>> them..
    >>>

    >>> And very cheap to run
    >>>
    >>> Mind you its a Full featured Photo printer.

    >> Yes I have one of these and it's a great printer. Prints to CD much
    >> faster than the Epson R310 too.

    > Do you need special blank CDRs or will any CDR with a plain surface
    > without dark colours do?

    You need special ink jet printable CDRs. They're only slightly more than
    normal ones though.

    Example here where the first vertex ones are printable ($18 for 50) and
    the second ones aren't ($16.90 for 50):
    http://qmb.co.nz/c.aspx?r=38416.7178230903&c=Hardware&s=BlankCDDVD&ss=CDR Pack

    Chris Hope, Mar 5, 2005
  13. Rider

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Chris Hope wrote:
    > *sling wrote:
    >

    >>"Andrew Gerald" <> wrote in message

    >>>dumping

    >>>Yes I have one of these and it's a great printer. Prints to CD much
    >>>faster than the Epson R310 too.

    >>Do you need special blank CDRs or will any CDR with a plain surface
    >>without dark colours do?

    > You need special ink jet printable CDRs. They're only slightly more than
    > normal ones though.
    >
    > Example here where the first vertex ones are printable ($18 for 50) and
    > the second ones aren't ($16.90 for 50):
    > http://qmb.co.nz/c.aspx?r=38416.7178230903&c=Hardware&s=BlankCDDVD&ss=CDR Pack

    I think the last batch of DSE brand CDRs I bought are printable - they
    are actually Imation, have solid plain white face (the DSE logo is by
    the spindle) and stuff your normal CD marking pens if you use them on
    the white surface.
    -=rjh=-, Mar 5, 2005
  14. Rider

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "Chris Hope" <> wrote in message
    > *sling wrote:
    >

    >> "Andrew Gerald" <> wrote in message
    >>> dumping

    >>> Yes I have one of these and it's a great printer. Prints to CD much
    >>> faster than the Epson R310 too.

    >> Do you need special blank CDRs or will any CDR with a plain surface
    >> without dark colours do?

    > You need special ink jet printable CDRs. They're only slightly more than
    > normal ones though.
    >
    > Example here where the first vertex ones are printable ($18 for 50) and
    > the second ones aren't ($16.90 for 50):
    > http://qmb.co.nz/c.aspx?r=38416.7178230903&c=Hardware&s=BlankCDDVD&ss=CDR Pack
    >

    > --
    > Chris Hope - The Electric Toolbox - http://www.electrictoolbox.com/

    Thanks for that. Apart from a plain surface I didn't realise it would need
    a special surface for the ink to do a decent job.

    Apart from direct printing from memory card for the Epson R310, I don't see
    much other difference between it and the R210.
    The prices of printers have never been better these days. Make me wonder if
    some models aren't about to be replaced.

    E. Scrooge
    E. Scrooge, Mar 5, 2005
  15. On Sat, 5 Mar 2005 17:58:28 +1300, "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz (*sling)>
    wrote:

    >"Chris Hope" <> wrote in message
    >> *sling wrote:
    >>

    >>> "Andrew Gerald" <> wrote in message

    >>> Do you need special blank CDRs or will any CDR with a plain surface
    >>> without dark colours do?

    >> You need special ink jet printable CDRs. They're only slightly more than
    >> normal ones though.
    >>
    >> Example here where the first vertex ones are printable ($18 for 50) and
    >> the second ones aren't ($16.90 for 50):
    >> http://qmb.co.nz/c.aspx?r=38416.7178230903&c=Hardware&s=BlankCDDVD&ss=CDR Pack
    >>

    >> --
    >> Chris Hope - The Electric Toolbox - http://www.electrictoolbox.com/

    >Thanks for that. Apart from a plain surface I didn't realise it would need
    >a special surface for the ink to do a decent job.
    >
    >Apart from direct printing from memory card for the Epson R310, I don't see
    >much other difference between it and the R210.
    >The prices of printers have never been better these days. Make me wonder if
    >some models aren't about to be replaced.
    >
    >E. Scrooge

    Imation & Verbatim do 50 CD Spindles..

    The trough in the Printer but rip you off for the Ink

    a Set of 6 tanks for the R210 will cost you some 70% of the price of the
    printer.

    My next Tanks will be Jettec 30% more ink and 25% less cost..

    Go get a Canon i965 at around $2xx from Wellington Photographic's, last
    years model..

    Ink Tanks last longer and are a lot cheaper, Epson tanks leave 20% ink left
    when stating its empty..

    From memory Canon use a Optical method for testing Ink levels..
    BILL bs.xxxxxxxxxx.corn, Mar 5, 2005
  16. Rider

    Chris Hope Guest

    BILL bs.xxxxxxxxxx.corn wrote:

    > On Sat, 5 Mar 2005 17:58:28 +1300, "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz
    > (*sling)> wrote:
    >>
    >>"Chris Hope" <> wrote in message

    >>> You need special ink jet printable CDRs. They're only slightly more
    >>> than normal ones though.
    >>>
    >>> Example here where the first vertex ones are printable ($18 for 50)
    >>> and the second ones aren't ($16.90 for 50):

    http://qmb.co.nz/c.aspx?r=38416.7178230903&c=Hardware&s=BlankCDDVD&ss=CDR Pack

    >>Thanks for that. Apart from a plain surface I didn't realise it would
    >>need a special surface for the ink to do a decent job.
    >>
    >>Apart from direct printing from memory card for the Epson R310, I
    >>don't see much other difference between it and the R210.
    >>The prices of printers have never been better these days. Make me
    >>wonder if some models aren't about to be replaced.
    >>
    >>E. Scrooge

    > Imation & Verbatim do 50 CD Spindles..

    Yeah I buy Verbatim ones now from Aquilatech. Got some of the small size
    ones (the 21 minute ones) for the small Linux distros like Damn Small.

    > The trough in the Printer but rip you off for the Ink
    >
    > a Set of 6 tanks for the R210 will cost you some 70% of the price of
    > the printer.

    Fairly typical of inkjet manufacturers...

    > My next Tanks will be Jettec 30% more ink and 25% less cost..

    Where do you buy them from? Do they do ink for the Canon printers as
    well?

    Chris Hope, Mar 5, 2005
  17. On Sat, 05 Mar 2005 20:40:01 +1300, Chris Hope <>
    wrote:

    >BILL bs.xxxxxxxxxx.corn wrote:
    >
    >> On Sat, 5 Mar 2005 17:58:28 +1300, "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz
    >> (*sling)> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>"Chris Hope" <> wrote in message

    >http://qmb.co.nz/c.aspx?r=38416.7178230903&c=Hardware&s=BlankCDDVD&ss=CDR Pack
    >>>
    >>>Thanks for that. Apart from a plain surface I didn't realise it would
    >>>need a special surface for the ink to do a decent job.
    >>>
    >>>Apart from direct printing from memory card for the Epson R310, I
    >>>don't see much other difference between it and the R210.
    >>>The prices of printers have never been better these days. Make me
    >>>wonder if some models aren't about to be replaced.
    >>>
    >>>E. Scrooge

    >> Imation & Verbatim do 50 CD Spindles..

    >Yeah I buy Verbatim ones now from Aquilatech. Got some of the small size
    >ones (the 21 minute ones) for the small Linux distros like Damn Small.
    >
    >> The trough in the Printer but rip you off for the Ink
    >>
    >> a Set of 6 tanks for the R210 will cost you some 70% of the price of
    >> the printer.

    >Fairly typical of inkjet manufacturers...
    >
    >> My next Tanks will be Jettec 30% more ink and 25% less cost..

    >Where do you buy them from? Do they do ink for the Canon printers as
    >well?

    Yes they do and you also get 30% more ink..

    http://www.jettec.co.uk/

    NZ shop or Agent..?

    http://computerone.co.nz/store/customer/home.php?cat=89

    UK made

    They have more Ink in the Tanks, Plus a better way to detect the low levels
    BILL bs.xxxxxxxxxx.corn, Mar 5, 2005
  18. Rider

    E. Scrooge Guest

    > On Sat, 5 Mar 2005 17:58:28 +1300, "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz
    > (*sling)>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>"Chris Hope" <> wrote in message

    >>> You need special ink jet printable CDRs. They're only slightly more than
    >>> normal ones though.
    >>>
    >>> Example here where the first vertex ones are printable ($18 for 50) and
    >>> the second ones aren't ($16.90 for 50):
    >>> http://qmb.co.nz/c.aspx?r=38416.7178230903&c=Hardware&s=BlankCDDVD&ss=CDR Pack
    >>>

    >>> --
    >>> Chris Hope - The Electric Toolbox - http://www.electrictoolbox.com/

    >>Thanks for that. Apart from a plain surface I didn't realise it would
    >>need
    >>a special surface for the ink to do a decent job.
    >>
    >>Apart from direct printing from memory card for the Epson R310, I don't
    >>see
    >>much other difference between it and the R210.
    >>The prices of printers have never been better these days. Make me wonder
    >>if
    >>some models aren't about to be replaced.
    >>
    >>E. Scrooge
    >>

    > Imation & Verbatim do 50 CD Spindles..
    >

    > The trough in the Printer but rip you off for the Ink
    >

    > a Set of 6 tanks for the R210 will cost you some 70% of the price of the
    > printer.
    >
    > My next Tanks will be Jettec 30% more ink and 25% less cost..
    >

    > Go get a Canon i965 at around $2xx from Wellington Photographic's,
    > last
    > years model..
    >
    > Ink Tanks last longer and are a lot cheaper, Epson tanks leave 20% ink
    > left
    > when stating its empty..
    >
    > From memory Canon use a Optical method for testing Ink levels..

    Very good, Roger. I favour the Epson, but the Canon models are looking
    pretty good as well.

    Using cheaper inks is fine, but will the prints last as long compared to
    using genuine Epson inks? In these new printers the Epson inks might give
    better more lasting results. If other Ink compaines are using similar inks
    then it probably doesn't make much difference.

    E. Scrooge
    E. Scrooge, Mar 5, 2005
  19. On Sat, 5 Mar 2005 21:01:20 +1300, "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz (*sling)>
    wrote:

    ><BILL bs.xxxxxxxxxx.corn> wrote in message
    >> On Sat, 5 Mar 2005 17:58:28 +1300, "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz
    >> (*sling)>
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >>>"Chris Hope" <> wrote in message

    >>>Thanks for that. Apart from a plain surface I didn't realise it would
    >>>need
    >>>a special surface for the ink to do a decent job.
    >>>
    >>>Apart from direct printing from memory card for the Epson R310, I don't
    >>>see
    >>>much other difference between it and the R210.
    >>>The prices of printers have never been better these days. Make me wonder
    >>>if
    >>>some models aren't about to be replaced.
    >>>
    >>>E. Scrooge
    >>>

    >> Imation & Verbatim do 50 CD Spindles..
    >>

    >> The trough in the Printer but rip you off for the Ink
    >>

    >> a Set of 6 tanks for the R210 will cost you some 70% of the price of the
    >> printer.
    >>
    >> My next Tanks will be Jettec 30% more ink and 25% less cost..
    >>

    >> Go get a Canon i965 at around $2xx from Wellington Photographic's,
    >> last
    >> years model..
    >>
    >> Ink Tanks last longer and are a lot cheaper, Epson tanks leave 20% ink
    >> left
    >> when stating its empty..
    >>
    >> From memory Canon use a Optical method for testing Ink levels..

    >Very good, Roger. I favour the Epson, but the Canon models are looking
    >pretty good as well.
    >
    >Using cheaper inks is fine, but will the prints last as long compared to
    >using genuine Epson inks? In these new printers the Epson inks might give
    >better more lasting results. If other Ink compaines are using similar inks
    >then it probably doesn't make much difference.
    >
    >E. Scrooge

    Not with the R210 or R310 only uses New dye-based ink

    If you want longer life you have to get the R800 that uses New UltraChrome
    Hi-Gloss pigment inks or the printers that use EPSON DURABrite INK.

    Epson Tanks have a 2 year shelf life and a 6 months installed life, plus you
    must power up the Epson once a week to clear the print heads.

    Yes I am a Epson user, 3rd model but you need to know how to mother them

    The Canon Tanks are $24 and $28.95 for the Epson from memory

    Epson Print heads do not burn out like the Canon, the Canon heads are rated
    for 18 month use..
    BILL bs.xxxxxxxxxx.corn, Mar 5, 2005
  20. Agreed, I have an IP3000... no complaints at all

    ThinFloorboards, Mar 5, 2005