Direct SIP URL Dialing

Discussion in 'VOIP' started by Wolfgang S. Rupprecht, Nov 23, 2005.

  1. I know some people here run their own asterisk servers and others have
    unlocked ATA's that they can modify the dial plans of. Sipbroker has
    been collecting the hostnames of open sip servers and assigning a
    unique prefix code to each of them. That allows anyone, even someone
    that can't dial alphabetic URL's directly, to dial a three-digit
    prefix and be redirected to the desired sip server. The effect is
    that users can use sipbroker to call other sip users directly for free
    without involving any telco hops.

    Folks that run their own asterisk don't really need sipbroker to
    redirect anything for them. They can just as well have their asterisk
    server call the destination directly -- if their asterisk knows about
    mappings. To that end I put together an asterisk config file snippet
    that can be included in the extensions.conf file to allow asterisk to
    route calls with a **XXX prefix to the appropriate sip server. These
    mappings use the same prefixes as sipbroker and route to the same sip
    servers.

    Sipbroker also encourages folks to add listings for their sip servers,
    so in theory everyone with a sip server could join in the fun.

    http://www.wsrcc.com/wolfgang/ftp/exten-peers.conf (asterisk conf file)
    http://www.wsrcc.com/wolfgang/ftp/sip-peers.txt (raw mapping file)
    http://www.wsrcc.com/wolfgang/ftp/dial-out.conf (dial-out macro)

    I'll update these files periodically, so they should track sipbroker's
    web page as folks add themselves.

    -wolfgang
    Direct SIP URL Dialing: http://www.wsrcc.com/wolfgang/phonedirectory.html
    Wolfgang S. Rupprecht, Nov 23, 2005