    Does X-Lite 3 allow direct IP calls? If not, what SIP client do you
    recommend?

    Thank you.

    Vincent Delporte, Oct 9, 2006

  2. "Vincent Delporte" <> wrote in message
    > Hello
    >
    > I'd like to dump Skype and call a friend using an SIP client directly,
    > ie. no registration with a VoIP provider and just call his IP address
    > directly.

    I hope neither of you is behind NAT, or you'll have problems aplenty...

    > One post in the archives says "You need to make a "SIP Proxy" like:
    > o Direct Dial IP = Yes o Enabled = Yes. Then make a "Phonebook" entry
    > like: o SIP URL: 1...@1.2.3.4 IP address here o ProxyID = Direct
    > Dial IP o Speed No = 123 ", but I don't see those options in X-Lite 3.
    >
    > Does X-Lite 3 allow direct IP calls? If not, what SIP client do you
    > recommend?

    X-Lite 2? ;-)

    SJphone (http://www.sjlabs.com/sjp.html ) does support direct IP calls, and
    is one of the few available also in a version for PocketPC/WM5 (also free).
    The setup is a little unfriendly, but it works well.

    Enzo

    Enzo Michelangeli, Oct 9, 2006

  3. Vincent Delporte <> writes:
    > Does X-Lite 3 allow direct IP calls? If not, what SIP client do you
    > recommend?

    A pair of Grandstream Budgetone's works well enough for direct calls.
    (Either by using something like Pulver's FreeWorldDialup proxy
    http://www.freeworlddialup.com/ or dialing the IP directly using the
    phone's IP dialing mode.) These phones even look like phones so folks
    aren't too put off by it. Sound quality is much better than any
    softphone or POTS phone I've tried. Softphones all seem to have
    dropouts and stutters while hardware sip phone seem to have the
    dedicated cpu cycles when they need them. The phones tend to hover
    around $60 each mailorder.

    -wolfgang

    Wolfgang S. Rupprecht, Oct 9, 2006
  4. On Mon, 09 Oct 2006 08:45:29 -0700, "Wolfgang S. Rupprecht"
    <> wrote:
    >A pair of Grandstream Budgetone's works well enough for direct calls.
    >(Either by using something like Pulver's FreeWorldDialup proxy
    >http://www.freeworlddialup.com/ or dialing the IP directly using the
    >phone's IP dialing mode.)

    Thx guys for the info. It appears that X-Lite supports direct IP
    calling. Just do NOT register with server, make sure both hosts allow
    incoming packets on UDP 5060-5061 so they can see each other, and
    create accounts so you can dial "test@remoteip".

    Vincent Delporte, Oct 9, 2006
  5. Vincent Delporte

    inge

    Joined:
    Nov 7, 2009
    Messages:
    1
    Can you clarify how you configured X-Lite 3.x without SIP account to be able to make a direct IP call? I have managed with SJPhone but I can not find the way to do it with X-Lite 3.x.

    inge, Nov 7, 2009