Direct Connect file copying

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Fatfreek, May 1, 2004.

  1. Fatfreek

    Fatfreek Guest

    I just connected my two computers (the old and the new one) together using a
    serial cable with null modem plug. Win2K Pro is on both and when I went
    through the wizard on the new machine it gave me an icon in an Explorer
    screen. My two computer icons in lower right tray lit up and the old
    computer's explorer screen under Network and Dial-up Connections displayed
    an icon <unauthorized connection>. I think I'm connected.

    I don't know where to go from here. I've read some docs and am more
    confused about this now.

    I think I should type address of other computer in Explorer address field
    like this:
    \\sculpturetext\c$

    then, after a long wait, the "can't find" message.

    How can I get some files off the old one onto the new one. Yes, I could
    burn them -- but I'm now obsessed about this direct conn. thing. I feel I'm
    close but need some tips to proceed.

    Len Miller
    Fatfreek, May 1, 2004

  2. Fatfreek

    Lazarus Guest

    have you enabled sharing on the drives...right click and "sharing"

    this might be why you get unauthorised connection!

    Lazarus, May 1, 2004

  3. Fatfreek

    Unk Guest

    On Sat, 1 May 2004 13:45:22 -0500, "Fatfreek" <>
    wrote:

    >I just connected my two computers (the old and the new one) together using a
    >serial cable with null modem plug. Win2K Pro is on both and when I went
    >through the wizard on the new machine it gave me an icon in an Explorer
    >screen. My two computer icons in lower right tray lit up and the old
    >computer's explorer screen under Network and Dial-up Connections displayed
    >an icon <unauthorized connection>. I think I'm connected.
    >
    >I don't know where to go from here. I've read some docs and am more
    >confused about this now.
    >
    >I think I should type address of other computer in Explorer address field
    >like this:
    >\\sculpturetext\c$
    >
    >then, after a long wait, the "can't find" message.
    >
    >How can I get some files off the old one onto the new one. Yes, I could
    >burn them -- but I'm now obsessed about this direct conn. thing. I feel I'm
    >close but need some tips to proceed.
    >
    >Len Miller

    http://www.wown.com/
    http://www.practicallynetworked.com/
    http://www.carricksolutions.com/networking.htm
    http://www.performit.co.uk/network/
    http://smallnetbuilder.com/

    Step-by-Step - Networking for Dummies
    http://www.wown.info/j_helmig/guide.htm

    How-to: Simple 2 Computer Network wo/hub
    http://www.makeitsimple.com/how-to/simple.htm
    Unk, May 1, 2004
  4. Fatfreek

    Fatfreek Guest

    > have you enabled sharing on the drives...right click and "sharing"
    No
    > this might be why you get unauthorised connection!

    I will check that out. Thanks a bunch.
    Fatfreek, May 1, 2004