    filled.

    Thanks
    , Nov 10, 2007

  2. wrote:
    > Is anyone aware of a device that will copy my compact flash directly
    > to a hard drive? (like a USB hard drive) I would like to avoid
    > carrying a laptop while I travel, but I need to have the capacity of
    > compact 120GB hard drive to copy my photos onto as the flash chips are
    > filled.
    >
    > Thanks

    Although it may not be quite what you want, these include a rather nice
    viewing screen as well:

    http://www.dpreview.com/news/0609/06093004epsonp3000p5000.asp

    Cheers,
    David
    David J Taylor, Nov 10, 2007

  3. Bob Williams Guest

    wrote:
    > Is anyone aware of a device that will copy my compact flash directly
    > to a hard drive? (like a USB hard drive) I would like to avoid
    > carrying a laptop while I travel, but I need to have the capacity of
    > compact 120GB hard drive to copy my photos onto as the flash chips are
    > filled.
    >
    > Thanks

    I found this on Google.
    > http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/digital/portable_storage.html

    Bob Williams
    Bob Williams, Nov 10, 2007
  4. On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 09:35:26 GMT, "David J Taylor"
    <-this-bit.nor-this-bit.co.uk> wrote:

    > wrote:
    >> Is anyone aware of a device that will copy my compact flash directly
    >> to a hard drive? (like a USB hard drive) I would like to avoid
    >> carrying a laptop while I travel, but I need to have the capacity of
    >> compact 120GB hard drive to copy my photos onto as the flash chips are
    >> filled.
    >>
    >> Thanks

    >Although it may not be quite what you want, these include a rather nice
    >viewing screen as well:
    >
    > http://www.dpreview.com/news/0609/06093004epsonp3000p5000.asp
    >
    >Cheers,
    >David

    The only problem with all these devices suggested by you and others (and are
    available), except for the viewing screen it's almost cheaper to just by the
    same amount of memory on SD cards these days, if your camera uses that type. In
    some cases it's already cheaper. 80 GB isn't what it used to be. And certainly
    not worth the $700 that they want for an LCD screen attached to it (Epson
    P-5000).

    I bet if you hunted around without much effort you could find 80 GB of SD card
    memory for much less than that. If you need to see the photos again? Just put
    them back in your camera and view them on the LCD or on a TV.

    A quick hunt: NewEgg has 8GB Class 6 SDHC cards for $53. Do the math. That's
    only $530 for the same storage, saving you $170 over getting the Epson P-5000.

    I see no benefit to these at the prices they want. If they were all under $100,
    then sure, might be a nice backup or for handing around at a get-together where
    others that want to see. Plus a spinning hard-drive is nowhere near as free from
    damage when traveling.

    Nice idea but way too much ($), way too little (GB), way too late.

    5 years ago I really wanted to buy something like them. I kept putting it off,
    the price-point never seemed to be worth it. It's still not. I get the same
    advantage right in my camera now for less cost. Think too, how much space are 10
    SD cards going to take up compared to an external storage device with a screen?
    Not to mention the extra batteries or power adapter you'll be needing to bring
    along.

    Why carry two viewing screens? Your camera already has one. Doesn't it?
    Gerald Arnquist, Nov 10, 2007
  5. van Dark Guest

    David J Taylor napsal(a):
    > wrote:
    >> Is anyone aware of a device that will copy my compact flash directly
    >> to a hard drive? (like a USB hard drive) I would like to avoid
    >> carrying a laptop while I travel, but I need to have the capacity of
    >> compact 120GB hard drive to copy my photos onto as the flash chips are
    >> filled.
    >>
    >> Thanks

    > Although it may not be quite what you want, these include a rather nice
    > viewing screen as well:
    >
    > http://www.dpreview.com/news/0609/06093004epsonp3000p5000.asp
    >
    > Cheers,
    > David

    Have a look at :
    http://www.presence-pc.com/actualite/Memup-lance-l-USB-2-0-X-Drive-II-786/
    I use this device and I am satisfied with its. Van
    van Dark, Nov 10, 2007
  6. van Dark Guest

    van Dark, Nov 10, 2007
  7. van Dark Guest

    van Dark, Nov 10, 2007
  8. Gerald Arnquist wrote:
    > On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 09:35:26 GMT, "David J Taylor"

    []
    >> http://www.dpreview.com/news/0609/06093004epsonp3000p5000.asp

    []
    > I see no benefit to these at the prices they want. If they were all
    > under $100, then sure, might be a nice backup or for handing around
    > at a get-together where others that want to see. Plus a spinning
    > hard-drive is nowhere near as free from damage when traveling.

    []
    > Why carry two viewing screens? Your camera already has one. Doesn't
    > it?

    For handing around, you may prefer the four inch VGA resolution (900,000
    pixels if you prefer) to the smaller, lower resolution screen on your own
    camera, and you may prefer not to hand your camera around.

    Yes, you could get a lot of SD storage today for the price, but it's not
    backed up.

    I do agree that at today's prices, they are quite expensive, though. We
    got one some time ago, and never regretted it.

    Cheers,
    David
    David J Taylor, Nov 10, 2007
  9. wrote:
    > Is anyone aware of a device that will copy my compact flash directly
    > to a hard drive? (like a USB hard drive) I would like to avoid
    > carrying a laptop while I travel, but I need to have the capacity of
    > compact 120GB hard drive to copy my photos onto as the flash chips are
    > filled.

    One way to do this is to use a PocketPC that has a USB _host port_ and a
    Compact Flash slot. _Very_ few PocketPCs have both. The Toshiba E740,
    E750, and E800 have this capability (all with a USB cradle). Then you
    can attach a powered USB hard drive (the PocketPC's USB port cannot
    power a drive). Kind of a kluge, but if you already have the PocketPC,
    as I do, it's not too bad.
    =?UTF-8?B?U01TIOaWr+iSguaWh+KAoiDlpI8=?=, Nov 10, 2007
  10. ray Guest

    On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 00:54:56 -0800, jim_nospam_beasley wrote:

    > Is anyone aware of a device that will copy my compact flash directly
    > to a hard drive? (like a USB hard drive) I would like to avoid
    > carrying a laptop while I travel, but I need to have the capacity of
    > compact 120GB hard drive to copy my photos onto as the flash chips are
    > filled.
    >
    > Thanks

    There are several companies making stand alone hard disks with built in
    card readers. The basic units are not terribly expensive - you should find
    them at OfficeMax or Staples, for example. Some more elaborate units - I
    believe Epson makes a couple - have built in screens for viewing and are
    somewhat more expensive.
    ray, Nov 10, 2007
  11. PCs Rule Guest

    wrote in message news:HshZi.45334$...
    > Gerald Arnquist wrote:
    >> On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 09:35:26 GMT, "David J Taylor"

    > []
    >>> http://www.dpreview.com/news/0609/06093004epsonp3000p5000.asp

    > []
    >> I see no benefit to these at the prices they want. If they were all
    >> under $100, then sure, might be a nice backup or for handing around
    >> at a get-together where others that want to see. Plus a spinning
    >> hard-drive is nowhere near as free from damage when traveling.

    > []
    >> Why carry two viewing screens? Your camera already has one. Doesn't
    >> it?

    > For handing around, you may prefer the four inch VGA resolution (900,000
    > pixels if you prefer) to the smaller, lower resolution screen on your own
    > camera, and you may prefer not to hand your camera around.
    >
    > Yes, you could get a lot of SD storage today for the price, but it's not
    > backed up.

    You're missing something: once the SD card is copied to the HD, the SD card
    is reformatted for continued use. The only copy is on HD and that isn't a
    backup, it's the one and only.
    PCs Rule, Nov 10, 2007
  12. ray Guest

    On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 11:32:16 +0000, Gerald Arnquist wrote:

    > On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 09:35:26 GMT, "David J Taylor"
    > <-this-bit.nor-this-bit.co.uk> wrote:
    >
    >> wrote:
    >>> Is anyone aware of a device that will copy my compact flash directly
    >>> to a hard drive? (like a USB hard drive) I would like to avoid
    >>> carrying a laptop while I travel, but I need to have the capacity of
    >>> compact 120GB hard drive to copy my photos onto as the flash chips are
    >>> filled.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks

    >>Although it may not be quite what you want, these include a rather nice
    >>viewing screen as well:
    >>
    >> http://www.dpreview.com/news/0609/06093004epsonp3000p5000.asp
    >>
    >>Cheers,
    >>David
    >>

    > The only problem with all these devices suggested by you and others (and are
    > available), except for the viewing screen it's almost cheaper to just by the
    > same amount of memory on SD cards these days, if your camera uses that type. In
    > some cases it's already cheaper. 80 GB isn't what it used to be. And certainly
    > not worth the $700 that they want for an LCD screen attached to it (Epson
    > P-5000).
    >
    > I bet if you hunted around without much effort you could find 80 GB of SD card
    > memory for much less than that. If you need to see the photos again? Just put
    > them back in your camera and view them on the LCD or on a TV.
    >
    > A quick hunt: NewEgg has 8GB Class 6 SDHC cards for $53. Do the math. That's
    > only $530 for the same storage, saving you $170 over getting the Epson P-5000.
    >
    > I see no benefit to these at the prices they want. If they were all under $100,
    > then sure, might be a nice backup or for handing around at a get-together where
    > others that want to see. Plus a spinning hard-drive is nowhere near as free from
    > damage when traveling.
    >
    > Nice idea but way too much ($), way too little (GB), way too late.
    >
    > 5 years ago I really wanted to buy something like them. I kept putting it off,
    > the price-point never seemed to be worth it. It's still not. I get the same
    > advantage right in my camera now for less cost. Think too, how much space are 10
    > SD cards going to take up compared to an external storage device with a screen?
    > Not to mention the extra batteries or power adapter you'll be needing to bring
    > along.
    >
    > Why carry two viewing screens? Your camera already has one. Doesn't it?

    There are also simpler units without a viewing screen - basically an
    external USB hard drive with built in card reader - for around $100. Check
    your local OfficeMax.
    ray, Nov 10, 2007
  13. Al Dykes Guest

    In article <4735d528$0$79861$>,
    =?UTF-8?B?U01TIOaWr+iSguaWh+KAoiDlpI8=?=
    <> wrote:
    > wrote:
    >> Is anyone aware of a device that will copy my compact flash directly
    >> to a hard drive? (like a USB hard drive) I would like to avoid
    >> carrying a laptop while I travel, but I need to have the capacity of
    >> compact 120GB hard drive to copy my photos onto as the flash chips are
    >> filled.

    >One way to do this is to use a PocketPC that has a USB _host port_ and a
    >Compact Flash slot. _Very_ few PocketPCs have both. The Toshiba E740,
    >E750, and E800 have this capability (all with a USB cradle). Then you
    >can attach a powered USB hard drive (the PocketPC's USB port cannot
    >power a drive). Kind of a kluge, but if you already have the PocketPC,
    >as I do, it's not too bad.

    Can any of these PockeTPC systems burn CDs vis a USB-attached CD burner?

    There are sub-PC laptops coming to market for $300-$400USD. Some run
    Linux, some run stripped XP, some give you a choice. I'm sure that
    any of these will be able to burn CDs via an external CD burner.

    Here's one the is getting lots of buzz.
    http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2007/10/29/asus_prices_eee_pc_for_us/

    It's enough of a PC to run Irfanview so you can look at the day's
    shots and burn only the keepers.

    IMO, any single point of failure sucks. This includes losing a bag in
    transit.

    This is may be off topic for the OP, but if I'm going to travel and
    shoot, I want to burn two CDs and keep them in seperate bags and send
    a third home by mail whenever I can.

    This may be able to burn to an external CD burner and it can also work
    as an internet phone and a WiFi emnail client and other stuff.

    Nokia N800 http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS9981902594.html
    Al Dykes, Nov 10, 2007
  14. Ron Hunter Guest

    David J Taylor wrote:
    > Gerald Arnquist wrote:
    >> On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 09:35:26 GMT, "David J Taylor"

    > []
    >>> http://www.dpreview.com/news/0609/06093004epsonp3000p5000.asp

    > []
    >> I see no benefit to these at the prices they want. If they were all
    >> under $100, then sure, might be a nice backup or for handing around
    >> at a get-together where others that want to see. Plus a spinning
    >> hard-drive is nowhere near as free from damage when traveling.

    > []
    >> Why carry two viewing screens? Your camera already has one. Doesn't
    >> it?

    > For handing around, you may prefer the four inch VGA resolution (900,000
    > pixels if you prefer) to the smaller, lower resolution screen on your own
    > camera, and you may prefer not to hand your camera around.
    >
    > Yes, you could get a lot of SD storage today for the price, but it's not
    > backed up.
    >
    > I do agree that at today's prices, they are quite expensive, though. We
    > got one some time ago, and never regretted it.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > David

    Why spend that much money on SD cards when a full fledged laptop with
    128GB drive, and a nice big screen can be had for under $500? Yes, it
    is bigger, but it offers many features not available from an SD card.
    Ron Hunter, Nov 10, 2007
  15. Guest

    On Nov 10, 8:00 am, SMS · <> wrote:
    > wrote:
    > > Is anyone aware of a device that will copy my compact flash directly
    > > to a hard drive? (like a USB hard drive) I would like to avoid
    > > carrying a laptop while I travel, but I need to have the capacity of
    > > compact 120GB hard drive to copy my photos onto as the flash chips are
    > > filled.

    > One way to do this is to use a PocketPC that has a USB _host port_ and a
    > Compact Flash slot. _Very_ few PocketPCs have both. The Toshiba E740,
    > E750, and E800 have this capability (all with a USB cradle). Then you
    > can attach a powered USB hard drive (the PocketPC's USB port cannot
    > power a drive). Kind of a kluge, but if you already have the PocketPC,
    > as I do, it's not too bad.

    Thanks for the tip about the Toshiba PDA. It looks like I can pick one
    up for a good price. I see that it supports an external keyboard
    thorugh an optional USB host cable. But the user manual doesn't
    mention that it supports memory devices. Are you sure the software wil
    recognize a USB hard drive when it is connected?

    Also, thanks for the tip about Newegg. It hadn't come up on my
    searches for CF memory. That price is very good for 8GB!
    , Nov 10, 2007
  16. eclyma Guest

    Might look at Wolverine ESP100, reads cards direct and accepts raw files;
    with cradle you can use it as a DVR. Just another option
    eclyma, Nov 10, 2007
  17. PCs Rule wrote:
    > "David J Taylor"
    > <-this-bit.nor-this-bit.co.uk> wrote in
    > message news:HshZi.45334$...
    >> Gerald Arnquist wrote:
    >>> On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 09:35:26 GMT, "David J Taylor"

    >> []

    >> []
    >>> I see no benefit to these at the prices they want. If they were all
    >>> under $100, then sure, might be a nice backup or for handing around
    >>> at a get-together where others that want to see. Plus a spinning
    >>> hard-drive is nowhere near as free from damage when traveling.

    >> []
    >>> Why carry two viewing screens? Your camera already has one. Doesn't
    >>> it?

    >> For handing around, you may prefer the four inch VGA resolution
    >> (900,000 pixels if you prefer) to the smaller, lower resolution
    >> screen on your own camera, and you may prefer not to hand your
    >> camera around. Yes, you could get a lot of SD storage today for the
    >> price, but it's
    >> not backed up.
    >>

    > You're missing something: once the SD card is copied to the HD, the
    > SD card is reformatted for continued use. The only copy is on HD and
    > that isn't a backup, it's the one and only.

    I certainly wouldn't work like that on an important trip. I'd want the
    card /and/ the HD backup.

    David
    David J Taylor, Nov 10, 2007
  18. Ron Hunter wrote:
    []
    > Why spend that much money on SD cards when a full fledged laptop with
    > 128GB drive, and a nice big screen can be had for under $500? Yes, it
    > is bigger, but it offers many features not available from an SD card.

    The size, weight and carrying inconvenience of the laptop. Consider hand
    luggage only. Given that on my trips I may only take about 3GB of
    pictures, SD cards alone would be something I could easily consider, and
    at the price SDs are? You could even borrow some SDs from a friend just
    for the trip.

    Cheers,
    David
    David J Taylor, Nov 10, 2007
  19. David J Taylor wrote:
    > Ron Hunter wrote:
    > []
    >> Why spend that much money on SD cards when a full fledged laptop with
    >> 128GB drive, and a nice big screen can be had for under $500? Yes, it
    >> is bigger, but it offers many features not available from an SD card.

    > The size, weight and carrying inconvenience of the laptop. Consider hand
    > luggage only. Given that on my trips I may only take about 3GB of
    > pictures, SD cards alone would be something I could easily consider, and
    > at the price SDs are? You could even borrow some SDs from a friend just
    > for the trip.

    SD cards are ridiculously cheap. MicroCenter routinely gives them away.
    I just got a 2GB card free, and it included a coupon for another 2GB
    card for a "friend" which you can't use yourself. Not fast cards, but
    they may be suitable if you're not doing continuous frame shooting.
    =?UTF-8?B?U01TIOaWr+iSguaWh+KAoiDlpI8=?=, Nov 10, 2007
  20. wrote:
    > On Nov 10, 8:00 am, SMS · <> wrote:
    >> wrote:
    >>> Is anyone aware of a device that will copy my compact flash directly
    >>> to a hard drive? (like a USB hard drive) I would like to avoid
    >>> carrying a laptop while I travel, but I need to have the capacity of
    >>> compact 120GB hard drive to copy my photos onto as the flash chips are
    >>> filled.

    >> One way to do this is to use a PocketPC that has a USB _host port_ and a
    >> Compact Flash slot. _Very_ few PocketPCs have both. The Toshiba E740,
    >> E750, and E800 have this capability (all with a USB cradle). Then you
    >> can attach a powered USB hard drive (the PocketPC's USB port cannot
    >> power a drive). Kind of a kluge, but if you already have the PocketPC,
    >> as I do, it's not too bad.

    > Thanks for the tip about the Toshiba PDA. It looks like I can pick one
    > up for a good price. I see that it supports an external keyboard
    > thorugh an optional USB host cable. But the user manual doesn't
    > mention that it supports memory devices. Are you sure the software wil
    > recognize a USB hard drive when it is connected?

    Do a search for "Toshiba E750 hard drive". People have gotten it to work
    with a powered external hard drive and a specific software driver. It's
    one of very few PDAs where the USB port will work in host mode.
    Remember, now you'll have another device, and another charger to carry
    around as well. The E750 needs to be charged every few days even without
    being used.
    =?UTF-8?B?U01TIOaWr+iSguaWh+KAoiDlpI8=?=, Nov 10, 2007