DIMM memory question

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by j, Jun 16, 2007.

  1. j

    j Guest

    I have a question about Dimm memory boards. I bought a computer at garage
    sale. It is an HP Pentium 4 with a 1.5 Ghz processor, Windows XP. When I got
    it home I found that it runs much slower than my Pentium 2 with 500 Mhz
    processor and 256 k of memory that I am currently using. In fact, it takes
    around 3 minutes to boot up and when it boots up it takes over one minute
    for all the icons to appear on the screen. The longer I use the computer the
    slower it gets which makes me suspect insufficient memory. I ran virus and
    spyware/adware checks with recently updated Symantec and Zonealarm and it is
    clean of them.

    I opened it up and found one 256k memory board installed that looks like it
    may not be the original one that came with the computer. I pulled it out and
    installed a 512K memory board and the computer refused to boot up with it. I
    pulled it out and installed two 128K memory boards and it booted up but
    still slow. I pulled them out and installed a 256K memory board and it
    booted up a little faster but still very slow. I noticed that several of the
    spare Dimm memory boards that I have have labels on them that tell the size,
    such as 128K, 256K, etc., but some also say "100 Mhz", "150 Mhz", etc.

    Does the 100 and 150 Mhz matter? Is it okay to mix/mismatch the 100 & 150
    Mhz memory boards in the computer? Also, some of my Dimm boards say "Dell",
    some say "HP", and some are off brands. Does that matter? I tried to run the
    XP version of scandisk and it says that it cannot check the disk because the
    drive or a program has exclusive use of the drive. I wonder if that is due
    to the memory boards. Thanks for helping out on this.

    j, Jun 16, 2007

  2. j

    - Bobb - Guest

    "j" <> wrote in message
    >I have a question about Dimm memory boards. I bought a computer at garage
    > sale. It is an HP Pentium 4 with a 1.5 Ghz processor, Windows XP. When I
    > got
    > it home I found that it runs much slower than my Pentium 2 with 500 Mhz
    > processor and 256 k of memory that I am currently using. In fact, it
    > takes
    > around 3 minutes to boot up and when it boots up it takes over one
    > minute
    > for all the icons to appear on the screen. The longer I use the computer
    > the
    > slower it gets which makes me suspect insufficient memory. I ran virus
    > and
    > spyware/adware checks with recently updated Symantec and Zonealarm and
    > it is
    > clean of them.

    What does event log show - any errors under system or application log ?
    ( right-click My Computer - Manage - Event Viewer.) What app and what
    version of Symantec ? Turn OFF NAV - PC run OK now ? I can tell you
    neighbor had NAV2006 and 128mb mem - was fine - upgraded to NAV2007 and
    became a dog until added memory to it. NAV2007 needs 256mb to run. If you
    have on CD - uninstall it from the PC and reboot.( it's mb not K )

    > I opened it up and found one 256k memory board installed that looks like
    > it
    > may not be the original one that came with the computer. I pulled it out
    > and
    > installed a 512K memory board and the computer refused to boot up with
    > it. I
    > pulled it out and installed two 128K memory boards and it booted up but
    > still slow. I pulled them out and installed a 256K memory board and it
    > booted up a little faster but still very slow. I noticed that several of
    > the
    > spare Dimm memory boards that I have have labels on them that tell the
    > size,
    > such as 128K, 256K, etc., but some also say "100 Mhz", "150 Mhz", etc.

    Mixing mem speeds generally will slow down the faster ones. So a 150mhz +
    100Mhz mixed will run at 100mhz.
    Control Panel - system will show CPU speed and mem total size. Since ( IF)
    XP is seeing the memory, I'd say they're OK. Also, since you've tried a
    LOT of combos, I'd lean toward application issue rather than memory issue.
    Run Crapcleaner ( from download.com) and let it clean up outdated/unused
    registry items.
    Go here and have HP size up your PC
    http://welcome.hp.com/country/us/en...t&jumpid=re_R329_prodexp/hhoslp/split/support
    DO you have / can you order from that website, the restore CD's for your
    PC ?

    > Does the 100 and 150 Mhz matter? Is it okay to mix/mismatch the 100 &
    > 150
    > Mhz memory boards in the computer? Also, some of my Dimm boards say
    > "Dell",
    > some say "HP", and some are off brands. Does that matter? I tried to run
    > the
    > XP version of scandisk and it says that it cannot check the disk because
    > the
    > drive or a program has exclusive use of the drive. I wonder if that is
    > due
    > to the memory boards. Thanks for helping out on this.

    Report back here with HP scan if more help needed.

    - Bobb -, Jun 17, 2007

  3. j

    Capheind Guest

    On Jun 16, 2:03 pm, "j" <> wrote:
    > I have a question about Dimm memory boards. I bought a computer at garage
    > sale. It is an HP Pentium 4 with a 1.5 Ghz processor, Windows XP. When I got
    > it home I found that it runs much slower than my Pentium 2 with 500 Mhz
    > processor and 256 k of memory that I am currently using. In fact, it takes
    > around 3 minutes to boot up and when it boots up it takes over one minute
    > for all the icons to appear on the screen. The longer I use the computer the
    > slower it gets which makes me suspect insufficient memory. I ran virus and
    > spyware/adware checks with recently updated Symantec and Zonealarm and it is
    > clean of them.
    >
    > I opened it up and found one 256k memory board installed that looks like it
    > may not be the original one that came with the computer. I pulled it out and
    > installed a 512K memory board and the computer refused to boot up with it. I
    > pulled it out and installed two 128K memory boards and it booted up but
    > still slow. I pulled them out and installed a 256K memory board and it
    > booted up a little faster but still very slow. I noticed that several of the
    > spare Dimm memory boards that I have have labels on them that tell the size,
    > such as 128K, 256K, etc., but some also say "100 Mhz", "150 Mhz", etc.
    >
    > Does the 100 and 150 Mhz matter? Is it okay to mix/mismatch the 100 & 150
    > Mhz memory boards in the computer? Also, some of my Dimm boards say "Dell",
    > some say "HP", and some are off brands. Does that matter? I tried to run the
    > XP version of scandisk and it says that it cannot check the disk because the
    > drive or a program has exclusive use of the drive. I wonder if that is due
    > to the memory boards. Thanks for helping out on this.

    Could you install SIW* and post a report from that with your memory in
    each configuration? I have a suspicion but I can't be sure yet.

    *SIW can be found here. Its freeware and very useful so I'd just keep
    it installed.
    http://download.softpedia.com/dl/f6...75696f/100015757/software/system/info/siw.exe

    Capheind, Jun 17, 2007
  4. j