    --
    chas
    The new Canon DSLR elist. no trolls, etc

    schuetzen - RKBA!, Aug 11, 2004

  2. schuetzen - RKBA!

    Bob Williams Guest

    schuetzen - RKBA! wrote:
    > Canon 300D
    > Large Fine jpeg
    > Sandisk Extreme 256mb cards
    >
    > when I first started using these cards, the newly formatted card showed a
    > capacity of 77 pix
    >
    > after about 15 or 20 uses, it is down to about 64
    >
    > what is going on? How can I recover that capacity??
    >
    > thanks
    >
    > --
    > chas
    > The new Canon DSLR elist. no trolls, etc

    If you are DELETING ALL the images to refresh the card, try re-formating it.
    Have you changed the degree of compression of your saved images?
    Bob Williams.
    Bob Williams, Aug 11, 2004

  3. "schuetzen - RKBA!" <> wrote in message > Canon 300D
    > Large Fine jpeg
    > Sandisk Extreme 256mb cards
    >
    > when I first started using these cards, the newly formatted card showed a
    > capacity of 77 pix
    >
    > after about 15 or 20 uses, it is down to about 64
    >
    > what is going on? How can I recover that capacity??

    The other thing to check is the ISO setting you have. The number of
    pictures indicated diminishes as the ISO is increased.

    Robert.
    Robert Austin, Aug 11, 2004
  4. schuetzen - RKBA!

    HRosita Guest

    > wrote:

    >when I first started using these cards, the newly formatted card showed a
    >capacity of 77 pix
    >
    >after about 15 or 20 uses, it is down to about 64

    Assuming nothing else has changed, the number is really only an estimate that
    changes as you take pictures.
    How long since you have reformated the card? Sometime space gets lost.
    Reformat and see what happens.
    Rosita
    HRosita, Aug 11, 2004
  5. schuetzen - RKBA!

    imbsysop Guest

    "Robert Austin" <> wrote in message
    > "schuetzen - RKBA!" <> wrote in message > Canon 300D
    > > Large Fine jpeg
    > > Sandisk Extreme 256mb cards
    > >
    > > when I first started using these cards, the newly formatted card showed

    > > capacity of 77 pix
    > >
    > > after about 15 or 20 uses, it is down to about 64
    > >
    > > what is going on? How can I recover that capacity??
    > >

    > The other thing to check is the ISO setting you have. The number of
    > pictures indicated diminishes as the ISO is increased.

    care to explain that statement ? given the nature of an ISO setting in
    digital the correlation you make escapes to me .. :)
    imbsysop, Aug 11, 2004
  6. imbsysop wrote:
    []
    >> The other thing to check is the ISO setting you have. The number of
    >> pictures indicated diminishes as the ISO is increased.

    > care to explain that statement ? given the nature of an ISO setting in
    > digital the correlation you make escapes to me .. :)

    I wondered about that as well - more ISO, more noise, less effectiveness
    of JPEG compression, larger file size, smaller capacity.
    Some cameras do reflect this when making a free sapce estimate.

    Cheers,
    David
    David J Taylor, Aug 11, 2004
  7. schuetzen - RKBA!

    Bill Hilton Guest

    >> The other thing to check is the ISO setting you have. The number of
    >> pictures indicated diminishes as the ISO is increased.

    >From: "imbsysop"
    >
    >care to explain that statement ? given the nature of an ISO setting in
    >digital the correlation you make escapes to me .. :)

    Higher ISO means noiser files. Noisier files mean the jpegs don't compress as
    well.
    Bill Hilton, Aug 11, 2004
  8. > >
    > > The other thing to check is the ISO setting you have. The number of
    > > pictures indicated diminishes as the ISO is increased.

    > care to explain that statement ? given the nature of an ISO setting in
    > digital the correlation you make escapes to me .. :)

    The original poster has a 300D like myself and I have found this to be the
    case. I assume it is, as other posters have said, that higher ISO files are
    noisier and therefore the remaining shots estimate takes into account that
    JPEG compression will be less effective.

    Robert.
    Robert Austin, Aug 11, 2004
  9. schuetzen - RKBA!

    Dave Cohen Guest

    HRosita wrote:

    >> wrote:

    >>when I first started using these cards, the newly formatted card showed a
    >>capacity of 77 pix
    >>
    >>after about 15 or 20 uses, it is down to about 64

    > Assuming nothing else has changed, the number is really only an estimate that
    > changes as you take pictures.
    > How long since you have reformated the card? Sometime space gets lost.
    > Reformat and see what happens.
    > Rosita

    I really believe if you delete ALL the images on a card, you reclaim all
    the available capacity. Having said that, I must admit I reformat in the
    camera if a lot of images are involved, it's quicker. I believe the op
    was referring to the capacity on an empty card.
    Dave Cohen
    Dave Cohen, Aug 11, 2004
  10. On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 00:25:43 -0500, schuetzen - RKBA!
    <> wrote:

    >Canon 300D
    >Large Fine jpeg
    >Sandisk Extreme 256mb cards
    >
    >when I first started using these cards, the newly formatted card showed a
    >capacity of 77 pix
    >
    >after about 15 or 20 uses, it is down to about 64
    >
    >what is going on? How can I recover that capacity??

    Do you delete/move all images off the card?
    If so there is no reason I can see for the camera to change it's
    estimate of how many shots are left.

    I have three 256 Meg cards I've been using for over 2 1/2 years and
    they have only been formatted twice and that was part of an
    experiment. I have a 1 Gig CF I have never formatted. I just took it
    out of the box and used it. I even use the cards interchangeably
    between my D-70 and E-20N. They each create their own directory
    structure, but work quite well. In all that time and use I've not
    noticed any drop in capacity shown in either camera. I don't know how
    well this would work with other camera manufacturers, but as the CF is
    treaded just like a FAT16 hard drive in both cameras, and the card
    reader, it should work with most any camera. The directories are
    dynamic in that they change size with the number of images.

    A format only removes the directory pointers and file pointers. A
    delete only removes the file pointers. Neither destroys the actual
    information which can be found using a good file restoration program
    unless new images have been written to the card.

    (N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
    www.rogerhalstead.com

    Roger Halstead, Aug 11, 2004
  11. schuetzen - RKBA!

    imbsysop Guest

    "David J Taylor" <-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk>
    wrote in message news:%9qSc.3371$...
    > imbsysop wrote:
    > []
    > >> The other thing to check is the ISO setting you have. The number of
    > >> pictures indicated diminishes as the ISO is increased.

    > > care to explain that statement ? given the nature of an ISO setting in
    > > digital the correlation you make escapes to me .. :)

    > I wondered about that as well - more ISO, more noise, less effectiveness
    > of JPEG compression, larger file size, smaller capacity.
    > Some cameras do reflect this when making a free sapce estimate.

    ok thnx .. seems very acceptable as an explanation but I still wonder if the
    noise effect would have such drastical effect on jpg compression ?
    imbsysop, Aug 11, 2004
  12. imbsysop wrote:
    []
    > ok thnx .. seems very acceptable as an explanation but I still wonder
    > if the noise effect would have such drastical effect on jpg
    > compression ?

    In my experience, the manufacturers (or ratherm the firmware designers)
    tend to be conservative in their estimates. Why not try taking a photo
    with different ISO and test for yourself? My ISO 800 pictures are
    certainly bigger than my ISO 100/200 ones, and not surprisingly the come
    down in size when processed for noise reduction.

    Cheers,
    David
    David J Taylor, Aug 11, 2004
  13. schuetzen - RKBA!

    Guest

    In message <411a24bb$0$307$>,
    "imbsysop" <> wrote:

    >care to explain that statement ? given the nature of an ISO setting in
    >digital the correlation you make escapes to me .. :)

    Compressibility is dependent on high-frequency detail. High ISO images
    tend to have more noise, and therefore, more "detail", even if it isn't
    detail from the real-world scene that was photographed.
    --

    <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
    John P Sheehy <>
    ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>><
    , Aug 11, 2004
  14. schuetzen - RKBA!

    Keith Nuttle Guest

    I do not experience any loss of space. However there have been a couple
    of times when I stored a non image file on the card, forgot about it and
    was surprise when the card capacity decreased.

    Also on my Olympus, the pictures are placed in directory that is nested
    two deep. If you put pictures in one that the camera is not aware of it
    will appear the the card loses capacity.

    Keith Nuttle, Aug 12, 2004
  15. On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 00:25:43 -0500, schuetzen - RKBA! <> wrote:

    >when I first started using these cards, the newly formatted card showed a
    >capacity of 77 pix

    I always format in the camera, regardless if there are 10 pix on the card or 77.
    good point on the ISO, will check that. could be exactly the problem.
    really appreciate the help, good people here.

    thanks

    schuetzen - RKBA!, Aug 12, 2004
  16. In article <>, schuetzen -
    RKBA! <> wrote:

    >SNIP<
    > when I first started using these cards, the newly formatted card showed a
    > capacity of 77 pix
    >
    > after about 15 or 20 uses, it is down to about 64
    >SNIP<

    Are you formatting the cards in the camera? If not, try that.

    Phil Stripling, Aug 12, 2004