Dimension 2400 Series P4 - Yes or No?

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by ZForce, Oct 28, 2003.

  1. ZForce

    ZForce Guest

    $739 (before $100 mail in rebate)

    I need to know what you guys think about this computer for this price. I
    can't spend more, and I won't be gaming on it. (my current computer has a
    better sound and video card but I don't use it).

    A big question is, does the video memory effect things like Photoshop?

    Here are the specs...

    P4 - 2.4 mhz (533 FSB)
    Win XP home
    256 MB RAM (333mhz)
    80 GB HD
    floppy drive
    48x CD ROM
    48x/24x/48 CD-RW
    keyboard, mouse
    17inch monitor (.27 dp)
    modem and NCI card
    1 year warranty

    Is this a good deal? Please tell me I should pull the trigger on this
    despite not having the money for it. I'm running a Win 98 700MHz model
    right now.

    Chris

    ZForce, Oct 28, 2003

  2. ZForce

    Jeremy Guest

    What is your primary use of the computer and how is your present one
    inadequate for your needs :)

    JJ

    Jeremy, Oct 28, 2003

  3. ZForce

    Guest

    On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 15:06:07 -0600, "ZForce" <>
    wrote:

    >$739 (before $100 mail in rebate)
    >
    >I need to know what you guys think about this computer for this price. I
    >can't spend more, and I won't be gaming on it. (my current computer has a
    >better sound and video card but I don't use it).
    >
    >A big question is, does the video memory effect things like Photoshop?
    >
    >Here are the specs...
    >
    >P4 - 2.4 mhz (533 FSB)
    >Win XP home
    >256 MB RAM (333mhz)
    >80 GB HD
    >floppy drive
    >48x CD ROM
    >48x/24x/48 CD-RW
    >keyboard, mouse
    >17inch monitor (.27 dp)
    >modem and NCI card
    >1 year warranty
    >
    >Is this a good deal? Please tell me I should pull the trigger on this
    >despite not having the money for it. I'm running a Win 98 700MHz model
    >right now.
    >
    >Chris

    I don't do video or audio. So, to me, 80 GB HD seems excessive.

    I would like finer dp on the monitor. Is your current monitor good?

    Memory is an issue. I think there are 4 slots each capable of 512 mb.
    So they will fill 2 slots each with 128. When you upgrade memory these
    become pointless. Some might suggest a total of 512 to start - but
    then you have 2-256 units.

    Take a look at their lower end 4600 series with 800 fsb. Also comes in
    2.4 mhz, but memory is 400mhz.

    Watch Dell specials carefuly. They alternate between rebates and free
    shipping.

    Roy - Carpe Noctem

    , Oct 28, 2003
  4. ZForce

    derek / nul Guest

    On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 21:29:02 GMT, wrote:

    >Take a look at their lower end 4600 series with 800 fsb. Also comes in
    >2.4 mhz, but memory is 400mhz.
    >
    >Watch Dell specials carefuly. They alternate between rebates and free
    >shipping.

    The memory could be 200Mhz quad pumped!!

    derek / nul, Oct 28, 2003
  5. ZForce

    ZForce Guest

    Well my current needs are

    Internet
    PhotoShop (my fiancé is a photo major)
    Burning CDs (my computer just decided to stop doing that recently)
    Eventually networking (when I go back to school)

    Right now my computer just doesn't seem to be running well. Internet
    crashes all of the time. Computer locks up on occasion, and like I said, it
    won't burn CDs anymore. I'd rather not plug another dime into this old
    model.

    ZForce, Oct 28, 2003
  6. ZForce

    ZForce Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 15:06:07 -0600, "ZForce" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >$739 (before $100 mail in rebate)
    > >
    > >I need to know what you guys think about this computer for this price. I
    > >can't spend more, and I won't be gaming on it. (my current computer has

    > >better sound and video card but I don't use it).
    > >
    > >A big question is, does the video memory effect things like Photoshop?
    > >
    > >Here are the specs...
    > >
    > >P4 - 2.4 mhz (533 FSB)
    > >Win XP home
    > >256 MB RAM (333mhz)
    > >80 GB HD
    > >floppy drive
    > >48x CD ROM
    > >48x/24x/48 CD-RW
    > >keyboard, mouse
    > >17inch monitor (.27 dp)
    > >modem and NCI card
    > >1 year warranty
    > >
    > >Is this a good deal? Please tell me I should pull the trigger on this
    > >despite not having the money for it. I'm running a Win 98 700MHz model
    > >right now.
    > >
    > >Chris
    > >

    > I don't do video or audio. So, to me, 80 GB HD seems excessive.

    --80 GB was a free upgrade

    > I would like finer dp on the monitor. Is your current monitor good?

    --I hope to sell my current computer with monitor, and it's nothing special

    > Memory is an issue. I think there are 4 slots each capable of 512 mb.
    > So they will fill 2 slots each with 128. When you upgrade memory these
    > become pointless. Some might suggest a total of 512 to start - but
    > then you have 2-256 units.

    --I could upgrade to 512MB for $90

    > Take a look at their lower end 4600 series with 800 fsb. Also comes in
    > 2.4 mhz, but memory is 400mhz.

    --not an option. I can barely afford this as it is.

    > Watch Dell specials carefuly. They alternate between rebates and free
    > shipping.

    --I got free shipping, free CD-RW and a free HD upgrade with this.

    ZForce, Oct 28, 2003
  7. ZForce

    Guest

    On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 15:55:51 -0600, "ZForce" <>
    wrote:

    ><> wrote in message

    >> Memory is an issue. I think there are 4 slots each capable of 512 mb.
    >> So they will fill 2 slots each with 128. When you upgrade memory these
    >> become pointless. Some might suggest a total of 512 to start - but
    >> then you have 2-256 units.

    >--I could upgrade to 512MB for $90

    I'd stick with the 256 (2x128) because later, when you upgrade memory,
    the old sticks become worthless. Also, "Crucial" sells 512 sticks for
    about $90. So why pay $90 to add only another 256.

    Roy - Carpe Noctem

    , Oct 28, 2003
  8. ZForce

    Night_Seer Guest

    wrote:
    > On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 15:55:51 -0600, "ZForce" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >> <> wrote in message

    >>> Memory is an issue. I think there are 4 slots each capable of 512
    >>> mb. So they will fill 2 slots each with 128. When you upgrade
    >>> memory these become pointless. Some might suggest a total of 512 to
    >>> start - but then you have 2-256 units.

    >> --I could upgrade to 512MB for $90

    > I'd stick with the 256 (2x128) because later, when you upgrade memory,
    > the old sticks become worthless. Also, "Crucial" sells 512 sticks for
    > about $90. So why pay $90 to add only another 256.
    >
    > Roy - Carpe Noctem

    I disagree. And I wouldn't order online either...make sure you talk
    to someone to get exactly what you want. And what you want is a single
    stick of 512, none of this two stick crap (it will cost a little more).
    When you upgrade, you buy another stick of 512 and have a gig of ram.
    If your going to go for 1gig of ram the 2 sticks is fine, but for 512
    megs, you should get a single stick...if you don't ever plan on
    upgrading...then forget it and take whatever they give you.
    Also, I have been reading a few articles as of late, that suggest
    your performance actually severly suffers with anything more than two
    sticks of ram. Here's a link to the article, but the part about the
    memory isn't until the end, so I am only showing that part of it:

    http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/building_gaming_opteron_2003_Part2/page14.asp

    You'll have to click through a couple of pages to get the whole thing
    but it is very interesting.

    Video memory is mostly for 3D applications, but it wouldn't hurt.
    Actually I would be interested in knowing how the video RAM affects
    applications such as Photoshop, as I am not sure either. You definately
    don't want integrated graphics and shared memory for using photoshop.
    Your gonna love your photoshop at 512 megs of ram, and love it even more
    at a gig. What about a dvd-rom drive, is this not necessary, if not
    then that's ok.

    --
    Night_Seer

    Night_Seer, Oct 28, 2003
  9. ZForce

    Guest

    On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 15:21:47 -0800, "Night_Seer" <ecamacho4 at hotmail
    dot com> wrote:

    >... what you want is a single
    >stick of 512, none of this two stick crap (it will cost a little more).
    >When you upgrade, you buy another stick of 512 and have a gig of ram.
    >If your going to go for 1gig of ram the 2 sticks is fine, but for 512
    >megs, you should get a single stick...if you don't ever plan on
    >upgrading...then forget it and take whatever they give you.

    Yes!

    Roy - Carpe Noctem

    , Oct 28, 2003
  10. ZForce

    dot com> wrote:

    > wrote:
    >> On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 15:55:51 -0600, "ZForce" <>
    >> wrote:

    >> I'd stick with the 256 (2x128) because later, when you upgrade memory,
    >> the old sticks become worthless. Also, "Crucial" sells 512 sticks for
    >> about $90. So why pay $90 to add only another 256.

    > I disagree. And I wouldn't order online either...make sure you talk
    >to someone to get exactly what you want. And what you want is a single
    >stick of 512, none of this two stick crap (it will cost a little more).
    >When you upgrade, you buy another stick of 512 and have a gig of ram.
    >If your going to go for 1gig of ram the 2 sticks is fine, but for 512
    >megs, you should get a single stick...if you don't ever plan on
    >upgrading...then forget it and take whatever they give you.
    > Also, I have been reading a few articles as of late, that suggest
    >your performance actually severly suffers with anything more than two
    >sticks of ram. Here's a link to the article, but the part about the
    >memory isn't until the end, so I am only showing that part of it:
    >
    >http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/building_gaming_opteron_2003_Part2/page14.asp
    >
    >You'll have to click through a couple of pages to get the whole thing
    >but it is very interesting.

    So the truly smart thing is to order the box with NO memory. If this
    can be done online, the zforce stills gets the online discount deal.

    Then order a 512 stick from Crucial - 184 pin 333. A low CL # is
    better than a high one, but I have no idea why. Put it in the slot
    closest to the back of the box. Dell has a page describing the process
    - very minor surgery.

    Night, your article was enough to make me pull those two extra 128s
    from my box (I added 2 - 512s to my Dell unit).

    Zforce, if you are in the San Francisco area, I'll sell my 2-128s to
    you for $40 total. They are about 3 months old. The are 400 mhz, but
    underclocking won't hurt.

    Roy - Carpe Noctem

    , Oct 29, 2003
  11. ZForce

    Night_Seer Guest

    wrote:
    > On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 15:21:47 -0800, "Night_Seer" <ecamacho4 at hotmail
    > dot com> wrote:
    >
    >> wrote:
    >>> On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 15:55:51 -0600, "ZForce" <>
    >>> wrote:

    >>> I'd stick with the 256 (2x128) because later, when you upgrade
    >>> memory, the old sticks become worthless. Also, "Crucial" sells 512
    >>> sticks for about $90. So why pay $90 to add only another 256.

    >> I disagree. And I wouldn't order online either...make sure you
    >> talk to someone to get exactly what you want. And what you want is
    >> a single stick of 512, none of this two stick crap (it will cost a
    >> little more). When you upgrade, you buy another stick of 512 and
    >> have a gig of ram. If your going to go for 1gig of ram the 2 sticks
    >> is fine, but for 512 megs, you should get a single stick...if you
    >> don't ever plan on upgrading...then forget it and take whatever they
    >> give you. Also, I have been reading a few articles as of late,
    >> that suggest
    >> your performance actually severly suffers with anything more than two
    >> sticks of ram. Here's a link to the article, but the part about the
    >> memory isn't until the end, so I am only showing that part of it:

    http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/building_gaming_opteron_2003_Part2/page14.asp

    >> You'll have to click through a couple of pages to get the whole thing
    >> but it is very interesting.

    > So the truly smart thing is to order the box with NO memory. If this
    > can be done online, the zforce stills gets the online discount deal.
    >
    > Then order a 512 stick from Crucial - 184 pin 333. A low CL # is
    > better than a high one, but I have no idea why. Put it in the slot
    > closest to the back of the box. Dell has a page describing the process
    > - very minor surgery.
    >
    > Night, your article was enough to make me pull those two extra 128s
    > from my box (I added 2 - 512s to my Dell unit).
    >
    > Zforce, if you are in the San Francisco area, I'll sell my 2-128s to
    > you for $40 total. They are about 3 months old. The are 400 mhz, but
    > underclocking won't hurt.
    >
    > Roy - Carpe Noctem

    I think Dell sells single sticks...though crucial and corsair memory
    is really good, I doubt Dell would skimp big on something like this. A
    low CL number isn't that big a deal for a Dell...it starts to become a
    big deal when you build one of those monsters that you want to push to
    its limits.
    I actually had a 256 stick in my box at one point...went to 768, and
    then 1280, but it would not run stable with that extra 256, so I went
    back down to 1024 (2 sticks of 512), and ran fine ever since.

    --
    Night_Seer

    Night_Seer, Oct 29, 2003
  12. ZForce

    Guest

    On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 17:09:17 -0800, "Night_Seer" <ecamacho4 at hotmail
    dot com> wrote:

    > wrote:
    >> On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 15:21:47 -0800, "Night_Seer" <ecamacho4 at hotmail
    >> dot com> wrote:

    >> So the truly smart thing is to order the box with NO memory. If this
    >> can be done online, the zforce stills gets the online discount deal.
    >>
    >> Then order a 512 stick from Crucial - 184 pin 333. A low CL # is
    >> better than a high one, but I have no idea why. Put it in the slot
    >> closest to the back of the box. Dell has a page describing the process
    >> - very minor surgery.
    >>
    >> Night, your article was enough to make me pull those two extra 128s
    >> from my box (I added 2 - 512s to my Dell unit).
    >>
    >> Zforce, if you are in the San Francisco area, I'll sell my 2-128s to
    >> you for $40 total. They are about 3 months old. The are 400 mhz, but
    >> underclocking won't hurt.

    > I think Dell sells single sticks...though crucial and corsair memory
    >is really good, I doubt Dell would skimp big on something like this. A
    >low CL number isn't that big a deal for a Dell...it starts to become a
    >big deal when you build one of those monsters that you want to push to
    >its limits.
    > I actually had a 256 stick in my box at one point...went to 768, and
    >then 1280, but it would not run stable with that extra 256, so I went
    >back down to 1024 (2 sticks of 512), and ran fine ever since.

    Dell's website says that our intrepid buyer could save $70 by getting
    his box with only 128mb. So then he could order a single 512 stick for
    about $90 elsewhere, and turn the 128 into a cheese cutter.

    I take a very personal interest in this case, as I now have a matched
    pair of cheese cutters.

    Roy - Carpe Noctem

    , Oct 29, 2003
  13. ZForce

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    "Night_Seer" <ecamacho4 at hotmail dot com> wrote in

    > Actually I would be interested in knowing how the video RAM affects
    > applications such as Photoshop, as I am not sure either. You definately

    I can't see this mattering at all to Photoshop. Photoshop (as far as I
    know) doesn't use the 2d/3d hardware for processing images, it only uses
    the CPU (which only uses the RAM). Otherwise, I can't imagine those high
    end graphics design people with their dual P3s with 2 gigs of RAM using a
    Matrox G400 graphics card if it would slow their work down any.

    --
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk (actually me)
    email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)

    DeMoN LaG, Oct 29, 2003
  14. ZForce

    Night_Seer Guest

    DeMoN LaG wrote:
    > "Night_Seer" <ecamacho4 at hotmail dot com> wrote in
    >
    >> Actually I would be interested in knowing how the video RAM affects
    >> applications such as Photoshop, as I am not sure either. You
    >> definately
    >>

    > I can't see this mattering at all to Photoshop. Photoshop (as far as
    > I know) doesn't use the 2d/3d hardware for processing images, it only
    > uses the CPU (which only uses the RAM). Otherwise, I can't imagine
    > those high end graphics design people with their dual P3s with 2 gigs
    > of RAM using a Matrox G400 graphics card if it would slow their work
    > down any.

    Yeah, that's what I thought...thanks.

    --
    Night_Seer