    admins just falling about themselves and crying tears of joy at the
    prospect.

    <http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/08/04/windows_xp_mode_release_candidate/>
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Aug 5, 2009

  2. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    JohnO Guest

    On Aug 5, 3:59 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    > Two separate OSes in one, two separate sets of updates to manage, two
    > separate sets of antivirus and other crap to install, two separate sets of
    > application and driver compatibility headaches, two separate sets of
    > software licences for each machine ... I can see a whole lot of system
    > admins just falling about themselves and crying tears of joy at the
    > prospect.
    >
    > <http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/08/04/windows_xp_mode_release_candi...>

    There's no compulsion to run XP Mode and therefore maintain the
    updates, antivirus etc is there?
    JohnO, Aug 5, 2009

  3. In message <>, JohnO wrote:

    > On Aug 5, 3:59 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    > central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    >
    >> Two separate OSes in one, two separate sets of updates to manage, two
    >> separate sets of antivirus and other crap to install, two separate sets
    >> of application and driver compatibility headaches, two separate sets of
    >> software licences for each machine ... I can see a whole lot of system
    >> admins just falling about themselves and crying tears of joy at the
    >> prospect.
    >>
    >> <http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/08/04/windows_xp_mode_release_candidate/>

    > There's no compulsion to run XP Mode and therefore maintain the
    > updates, antivirus etc is there?

    Wonder why Microsoft is providing it, then?
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Aug 5, 2009
  4. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Max Burke Guest

    JohnO wrote:
    > On Aug 5, 3:59 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    > central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    >> Two separate OSes in one, two separate sets of updates to manage, two
    >> separate sets of antivirus and other crap to install, two separate sets of
    >> application and driver compatibility headaches, two separate sets of
    >> software licences for each machine ... I can see a whole lot of system
    >> admins just falling about themselves and crying tears of joy at the
    >> prospect.
    >>
    >> <http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/08/04/windows_xp_mode_release_candi...>

    > There's no compulsion to run XP Mode and therefore maintain the
    > updates, antivirus etc is there?

    Like I have to with my XP Pro/Ubuntu dual boot setup?

    Every time (and I DO mean every time) I boot into Ubuntu theres updates
    to install. It gets to be a real pain, cant do anything until the latest
    updates are installed and more often than not rebooted...

    Not like that with XP.

    Found Images
    Max Burke, Aug 5, 2009
  5. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    victor Guest

    Max Burke wrote:

    > Like I have to with my XP Pro/Ubuntu dual boot setup?
    >
    > Every time (and I DO mean every time) I boot into Ubuntu theres updates
    > to install. It gets to be a real pain, cant do anything until the latest
    > updates are installed and more often than not rebooted...
    >
    > Not like that with XP.

    Open "Update Manager" and change the settings to suit yourself.
    Is that too hard ?
    victor, Aug 5, 2009
  6. In article <h5bsa9$abs$-september.org>, wrote:
    >JohnO wrote:
    >> On Aug 5, 3:59 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    >> central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    >>> Two separate OSes in one, two separate sets of updates to manage, two
    >>> separate sets of antivirus and other crap to install, two separate sets of
    >>> application and driver compatibility headaches, two separate sets of
    >>> software licences for each machine ... I can see a whole lot of system
    >>> admins just falling about themselves and crying tears of joy at the
    >>> prospect.
    >>>
    >>> <http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/08/04/windows_xp_mode_release_candi...>

    >> There's no compulsion to run XP Mode and therefore maintain the
    >> updates, antivirus etc is there?

    >Like I have to with my XP Pro/Ubuntu dual boot setup?
    >
    >Every time (and I DO mean every time) I boot into Ubuntu theres updates
    >to install. It gets to be a real pain, cant do anything until the latest
    >updates are installed and more often than not rebooted...
    >
    >Not like that with XP.

    Not like that with my kubuntu. You don't have to run updates. How is yours
    different ? :)
    Bruce Sinclair, Aug 6, 2009
  7. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Enkidu Guest

    Bruce Sinclair wrote:
    > In article <h5bsa9$abs$-september.org>,
    > wrote:
    >> JohnO wrote:

    >>> There's no compulsion to run XP Mode and therefore maintain the
    >>> updates, antivirus etc is there?

    >> Like I have to with my XP Pro/Ubuntu dual boot setup?
    >>
    >> Every time (and I DO mean every time) I boot into Ubuntu theres
    >> updates to install. It gets to be a real pain, cant do anything
    >> until the latest updates are installed and more often than not
    >> rebooted...
    >>
    >> Not like that with XP.

    > Not like that with my kubuntu. You don't have to run updates. How is
    > yours different ? :)

    Plain Ubuntu doesn't lock you out while it downloads and install its
    updates.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Aug 6, 2009
  8. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    JohnO Guest

    On Aug 5, 5:29 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    > In message <..com>, JohnO wrote:
    >
    > > On Aug 5, 3:59 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    > > central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:

    > >> Two separate OSes in one, two separate sets of updates to manage, two
    > >> separate sets of antivirus and other crap to install, two separate sets
    > >> of application and driver compatibility headaches, two separate sets of
    > >> software licences for each machine ... I can see a whole lot of system
    > >> admins just falling about themselves and crying tears of joy at the
    > >> prospect.

    > >> <http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/08/04/windows_xp_mode_release_candi....>

    > > There's no compulsion to run XP Mode and therefore maintain the
    > > updates, antivirus etc is there?

    > Wonder why Microsoft is providing it, then?

    For the same reason folks use VMWare and other virtualisation
    packages.
    JohnO, Aug 6, 2009
  9. In message <f8623c46-f5a0-401b-
    >, JohnO wrote:

    > On Aug 5, 5:29 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    > central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    >
    >> In message
    >> <>,
    >> JohnO wrote:
    >>
    >>> There's no compulsion to run XP Mode and therefore maintain the
    >>> updates, antivirus etc is there?

    >> Wonder why Microsoft is providing it, then?

    > For the same reason folks use VMWare and other virtualisation
    > packages.

    Because Windows gets unstable if you try to install more than one thing on
    it at once?
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Aug 7, 2009

    And Sony doesn't want to support it <http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/08/06/sony_vaio_virtualization_disabled/>.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Aug 8, 2009

    More tears of joy <http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=5197>.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Aug 18, 2009
  12. In message <h6fb7a$li0$>, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    > In message <h5b02q$ffl$>, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >
    >> Two separate OSes in one, two separate sets of updates to manage, two
    >> separate sets of antivirus and other crap to install, two separate sets
    >> of application and driver compatibility headaches, two separate sets of
    >> software licences for each machine ... I can see a whole lot of system
    >> admins just falling about themselves and crying tears of joy at the
    >> prospect.

    <http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/08/04/windows_xp_mode_release_candidate/>

    > More tears of joy <http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=5197>.

    Fujitsu-Siemens joins Sony in blocking virtualization on its PCs
    <http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/08/27/fujitsu_windows_7_intel_virtualization/>.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Aug 28, 2009