Dimdows Vista is TEH BESTEST!!!!!

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jul 23, 2008.

  1. In article <1vytl095rf2u3.1tvfnsjqzfmsu$>, Will Spencer did
    write:

    > Btw I run Vista 64bit sp1 (I originally ran the 32bit version, but
    > thought, ****, it's 2008, time to get with the times). Glad I did move to
    > 64bit, it's faster, more secure, and everything works.

    Except, it appears, MLC drives
    <http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/07/22/sandisk-delays-optimised-ssds>.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jul 23, 2008

  2. In article <g66khh$nmt$>, Lawrence D'Oliveiro did write:

    > In article <1vytl095rf2u3.1tvfnsjqzfmsu$>, Will Spencer did
    > write:
    >
    >> Btw I run Vista 64bit sp1 (I originally ran the 32bit version, but
    >> thought, ****, it's 2008, time to get with the times). Glad I did move to
    >> 64bit, it's faster, more secure, and everything works.

    > Except, it appears, MLC drives

    <http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/07/22/sandisk-delays-optimised-ssds>.

    More here <http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/07/22/sandisk_ssd_vista_beef/>.

    One of the reader comments says they tried writing a simple "Hello World"
    program in Dimdows, and it took up 14.5MB of RAM.

    Also it appears that a single Dimdows app can't use more than 1GB, no matter
    how much RAM you have.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jul 23, 2008

  3. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    > One of the reader comments says they tried writing a simple "Hello World"
    > program in Dimdows, and it took up 14.5MB of RAM.

    Doesn't that say more about the compiler etc. than about Vista? I ask
    because I tried the same thing:

    http://nrkn.com/temp/helloWorld.jpg

    > Also it appears that a single Dimdows app can't use more than 1GB, no
    > matter
    > how much RAM you have.

    Is that so?

    Knocked up a little app that doubles the amount of RAM it consumes each time
    you click a button:

    http://nrkn.com/temp/useRam.jpg

    But what would I know, I'm just an idiot Windows user. If I had any brains
    I'd be using something else, right?

    Nik Coughlin, Jul 23, 2008
  4. In article <48877075$>, Puddle <> wrote:
    >Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    (snip)
    >> One of the reader comments says they tried writing a simple "Hello World"
    >> program in Dimdows, and it took up 14.5MB of RAM.

    >Is that a problem?

    <chortle> well, assuming this is right it's not a good thing, surely ? :)

    Bruce Sinclair, Jul 24, 2008
  5. In article <>, "geoff" <> wrote:
    >Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >> In article <1vytl095rf2u3.1tvfnsjqzfmsu$>, Will
    >> Spencer did write:
    >>
    >>> Btw I run Vista 64bit sp1 (I originally ran the 32bit version, but
    >>> thought, ****, it's 2008, time to get with the times). Glad I did
    >>> move to 64bit, it's faster, more secure, and everything works.

    >> Except, it appears, MLC drives
    >>

    > <http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/07/22/sandisk-delays-optimis
    >ed-ssds>.
    >
    >Hey there Sad Larry - ever heard the maxim "Nobody ever made his own candle
    >burn brighter by blowing out somebody elses's" ?

    Quite. I wonder still why anyone bothers to read his propaganda ? It's not
    even good :)

    Bruce Sinclair, Jul 24, 2008
  6. In article <48877075$>, Puddle did write:

    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >
    >> <http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/07/22/sandisk_ssd_vista_beef/>.
    >>
    >> One of the reader comments says they tried writing a simple "Hello World"
    >> program in Dimdows, and it took up 14.5MB of RAM.

    > Is that a problem?

    Just for comparison, I started up a Python interpreter on both my Eee and on
    my AMD64 Gentoo workstation, and entered the command

    print "hello, world!"

    Result? On the Eee, the RAM usage of the Python process was only 2.8MB, on
    the 64-bit box it was less than 4MB.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jul 24, 2008
  7. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Chris Lim Guest

    On Jul 24, 11:08 am,
    (Bruce Sinclair) wrote:
    > In article <>, "geoff" <> wrote:
    > >Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > >> In article <1vytl095rf2u3.1tvfnsjqzfmsu$>, Will
    > >> Spencer did write:

    > >> Except, it appears, MLC drives

    > > <http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/07/22/sandisk-delays....
    > >ed-ssds>.

    > >Hey there Sad Larry - ever heard the maxim "Nobody ever made his own candle
    > >burn brighter by blowing out somebody elses's" ?

    > Quite. I wonder still why anyone bothers to read his propaganda ? It's not
    > even good :)

    He's doing a good job promoting Vista. I've been putting off upgrading
    from XP for ages but thanks to his anti-MS drivel there's been quite a
    lot feedback from users who are pretty happy with it, which leads me
    to it's not as bad as I think.

    Chris Lim, Jul 24, 2008
  8. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    impossible Guest

    > In article <48877075$>, Puddle did write:
    >
    >> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >>
    >>> <http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/07/22/sandisk_ssd_vista_beef/>.
    >>>
    >>> One of the reader comments says they tried writing a simple "Hello
    >>> World"
    >>> program in Dimdows, and it took up 14.5MB of RAM.

    >> Is that a problem?

    > Just for comparison, I started up a Python interpreter on both my Eee and
    > on
    > my AMD64 Gentoo workstation, and entered the command
    >
    > print "hello, world!"
    >
    > Result? On the Eee, the RAM usage of the Python process was only 2.8MB, on
    > the 64-bit box it was less than 4MB.

    Larry, Larry, Larry...Did you actually think no one else would test this?
    Python 2.5.1 on my 32-bit Vista machine produces "Hello, world!" in 2.5MB. I
    don't know what that bloated "Dimdows" product is that you keep talking
    about (Is that a Linux distro of some sort?). But Vista is top-notch in
    terms of memory mangement as far as I can see.

    impossible, Jul 24, 2008
  9. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Chris Lim Guest

    On Jul 24, 9:27 am, "Nik Coughlin" <> wrote:

    > > One of the reader comments says they tried writing a simple "Hello World"
    > > program in Dimdows, and it took up 14.5MB of RAM.

    > Doesn't that say more about the compiler etc. than about Vista?  I ask
    > because I tried the same thing:
    >
    > http://nrkn.com/temp/helloWorld.jpg

    I wonder if he'll ever admit to being wrong. Most likely it will be
    deafening silience, or he'll start arguing semantics about what
    constitutes a "Hello World program" or what he meant by "RAM".

    > > Also it appears that a single Dimdows app can't use more than 1GB, no
    > > matter
    > > how much RAM you have.

    > Is that so?
    >
    > Knocked up a little app that doubles the amount of RAM it consumes each time
    > you click a button:
    >
    > http://nrkn.com/temp/useRam.jpg

    We had a .NET Windows Form application here at work that, after
    opening up a few screens, pretty much consumed ALL available RAM on
    the PC :)

    Chris Lim, Jul 24, 2008
  10. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    > In article <48877075$>, Puddle did write:
    >
    >> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >>
    >>> <http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/07/22/sandisk_ssd_vista_beef/>.
    >>>
    >>> One of the reader comments says they tried writing a simple "Hello
    >>> World"
    >>> program in Dimdows, and it took up 14.5MB of RAM.

    >> Is that a problem?

    > Just for comparison, I started up a Python interpreter on both my Eee and
    > on
    > my AMD64 Gentoo workstation, and entered the command
    >
    > print "hello, world!"
    >
    > Result? On the Eee, the RAM usage of the Python process was only 2.8MB, on
    > the 64-bit box it was less than 4MB.

    Just for comparison, I started up a Python interpreter on my Windows Vista
    Ultimate, and entered the command

    print "hello world"

    Result? On Windows Vista Ultimate the RAM usage of the Python process was
    only 2.2MB

    http://nrkn.com/temp/pythonHelloWorld.jpg

    Nik Coughlin, Jul 24, 2008
  11. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    "Nik Coughlin" <> wrote in message
    >> One of the reader comments says they tried writing a simple "Hello World"
    >> program in Dimdows, and it took up 14.5MB of RAM.

    > Doesn't that say more about the compiler etc. than about Vista? I ask
    > because I tried the same thing:
    >
    > http://nrkn.com/temp/helloWorld.jpg

    Shaved some off by turning optimization on in the compiler (win32 console
    app written in C):

    http://nrkn.com/temp/helloWorldOptimized.jpg

    Nik Coughlin, Jul 24, 2008
  12. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Nik Coughlin, Jul 24, 2008
  13. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Fantail Guest

    On Jul 24, 9:27 am, "Nik Coughlin" <> wrote:

    > But what would I know, I'm just an idiot Windows user.  If I had any brains
    > I'd be using something else, right?

    It's more than brains you need, it's something like courage, a lack of
    sheepness, and a willingness to do what's right for the community, to
    help make it independent of a ruthless corporation known for its
    contempt for the law.

    Fantail, Jul 24, 2008
  14. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    "Fantail" <> wrote in message
    On Jul 24, 9:27 am, "Nik Coughlin" <> wrote:

    >> But what would I know, I'm just an idiot Windows user. If I had any
    >> brains
    >> I'd be using something else, right?

    > It's more than brains you need, it's something like courage, a lack of
    > sheepness, and a willingness to do what's right for the community, to
    > help make it independent of a ruthless corporation known for its
    > contempt for the law.

    I'll save my energy for important problems, like the environment, injustice,
    compassion for others etc.

    It's just a tool for God's sake

    Nik Coughlin, Jul 24, 2008
  15. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Mark C Guest

    "geoff" <> wrote in

    > What a lame system. I can do thant on my ZX81 that only *has*
    > 16K !

    Ohhh Luxury!

    My ZX80 only has 1K (I kid you not), and the display and program had
    to share that.

    Mark C, Jul 24, 2008
  16. In article <>, Chris Lim <> wrote:
    >On Jul 24, 11:08=A0am,
    >(Bruce Sinclair) wrote:

    (snip)
    >> Quite. I wonder still why anyone bothers to read his propaganda ? It's no=

    >> even good :)

    >He's doing a good job promoting Vista. I've been putting off upgrading
    >from XP for ages but thanks to his anti-MS drivel there's been quite a
    >lot feedback from users who are pretty happy with it, which leads me
    >to it's not as bad as I think.

    Not, I would hope, a sufficent reason to buy it. :)
    I would expect to gain something significant from such an outlay of my cash,
    and from what I've seen, it offers a new look but little else. I hasten to
    admit that I have used it for only minutes and the new look's annoyance
    value could have hidden things of actual value. :)

    Bruce Sinclair, Jul 24, 2008
  17. In article <>, Fantail <> wrote:
    >On Jul 24, 9:27=A0am, "Nik Coughlin" <> wrote:
    >
    >> But what would I know, I'm just an idiot Windows user. =A0If I had any br=

    >ains
    >> I'd be using something else, right?

    >It's more than brains you need, it's something like courage, a lack of
    >sheepness, and a willingness to do what's right for the community, to
    >help make it independent of a ruthless corporation known for its
    >contempt for the law.

    There's no requirement to do this. If you like what you have, fine ... I'd
    settle for people making an informed choice I admit.
    The problem with that is, so many are so ignorant. :) :)

    Bruce Sinclair, Jul 24, 2008
  18. In article <g687md$o8r$>, Nik Coughlin did write:

    >> One of the reader comments says they tried writing a simple "Hello World"
    >> program in Dimdows, and it took up 14.5MB of RAM.

    > Doesn't that say more about the compiler etc. than about Vista? I ask
    > because I tried the same thing:
    >
    > http://nrkn.com/temp/helloWorld.jpg

    Just reporting what they said.

    In any case, I'll see your 352K and raise you 288K for a program that
    probably does a little bit more than yours:

    ldo@theon:hack> cat hello.c
    #include <unistd.h>
    #include <stdlib.h>
    #include <stdio.h>

    int main
    (
    int argc,
    const char * const * argv
    )
    {
    sleep(atoi(argv[1]));
    printf("hello, world!\n");
    return 0;
    } /*main*/

    On a 32-bit machine:

    PID TTY STAT TIME MAJFL TRS DRS RSS %MEM COMMAND
    20332 pts/0 S 0:00 0 1 1426 288 0.0 ./hello 30

    On a 64-bit machine:

    PID TTY STAT TIME MAJFL TRS DRS RSS %MEM COMMAND
    22076 pts/9 S 0:00 0 1 3590 356 0.0 ./hello 30

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jul 24, 2008
  19. In article <g68m1g$pi$>, Nik Coughlin did write:

    > "Nik Coughlin" <> wrote in message

    >>> One of the reader comments says they tried writing a simple "Hello
    >>> World" program in Dimdows, and it took up 14.5MB of RAM.

    >> Doesn't that say more about the compiler etc. than about Vista? I ask
    >> because I tried the same thing:
    >>
    >> http://nrkn.com/temp/helloWorld.jpg

    > Shaved some off by turning optimization on in the compiler (win32 console
    > app written in C):
    >
    > http://nrkn.com/temp/helloWorldOptimized.jpg

    I notice there's a separate tab for "Applications" versus "Processes".
    What's the memory usage of your program under the "Applications" tab?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jul 24, 2008
  20. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    > In article <g68m1g$pi$>, Nik Coughlin did
    > write:
    >
    >> "Nik Coughlin" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>> "Lawrence D'Oliveiro" <_zealand> wrote in
    >>> message

    >>> Doesn't that say more about the compiler etc. than about Vista? I ask
    >>> because I tried the same thing:
    >>>
    >>> http://nrkn.com/temp/helloWorld.jpg

    >> Shaved some off by turning optimization on in the compiler (win32 console
    >> app written in C):
    >>
    >> http://nrkn.com/temp/helloWorldOptimized.jpg

    > I notice there's a separate tab for "Applications" versus "Processes".
    > What's the memory usage of your program under the "Applications" tab?

    The Applications tab is a "friendly" view that only only shows the
    applications running as opposed to the services etc. It doesn't show any of
    the useful information that the Processes tab does, just two columns, a more
    descriptive name and a status, ie "Running".

    Nik Coughlin, Jul 24, 2008