    into a fit state for his friend to use. I've done entire Linux installs from
    scratch that took a lot less time than that.

    If you value your time, stick with Linux.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jul 2, 2009

  2. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Me Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    > The uninstalls and reboots take HOURS. I use another tool, CCleaner, to
    > turn off programs in Startup that aren’t frequently needed.

    perhaps a clue to the fiasco is revealed in that statement - ie he
    really didn't have a clue to start with.
    Me, Jul 2, 2009

  3. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Richard Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    > This guy took ALL DAY to get a store-bought, already preinstalled machine
    > into a fit state for his friend to use. I've done entire Linux installs from
    > scratch that took a lot less time than that.
    >
    > If you value your time, stick with Linux.

    Am am quite certain that dell and HP could do the same thing to a
    preinstalled linux install.

    Had that guy started again with a vista install disk he would have being
    done a lot faster.
    Richard, Jul 2, 2009
  4. In message <h2h0vu$7q4$>, Richard wrote:

    > Am am quite certain that dell and HP could do the same thing to a
    > preinstalled linux install.

    Possibly. But how long would it take for a simple script to appear on the
    Web to get rid of all the rubbish:

    dpkg -r dell-crap hp-crap

    With an open system, inconsiderate vendors don't stand a chance.

    > Had that guy started again with a vista install disk he would have being
    > done a lot faster.

    Then you'd have to do the Windows driver dance, go around vendors' websites
    looking for all the necessary add-on bits for your hardware. Much easier to
    have the installer recognize your hardware and select the appropriate
    drivers automatically, don't you think?
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jul 2, 2009
  5. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Alan Guest

    "Lawrence D'Oliveiro" <_zealand> wrote in
    message news:h2gvat$orm$...
    > Windows is so easy to use when it comes preinstalled on a PC, right?
    > Except
    > <http://blogs.zdnet.com/perlow/?p=10430>:
    >
    > I brought the laptop home, unboxed it, and powered it up. Vista
    > Premium 64-bit with SP1 comes up. The initial startup process is
    > absolutely agonizingly slow. I can’t blame this one on Vista — it’s
    > all
    > the crapware Dell loads onto the system ...
    >
    > So in addition to about 2 hours of waiting for all the Post-SP1
    > Vista
    > patches to download ... and then bringing the system up to SP2
    > with
    > additional hotfixes, I then proceed to remove crapware software
    >
    > The uninstalls and reboots take HOURS. I use another tool,
    > CCleaner, to
    > turn off programs in Startup that aren’t frequently needed. By
    > the time
    > I am done, It’s 8PM.
    >
    > This guy took ALL DAY to get a store-bought, already preinstalled
    > machine
    > into a fit state for his friend to use. I've done entire Linux
    > installs from
    > scratch that took a lot less time than that.
    >
    > If you value your time, stick with Linux.

    What has that got to do with the OS though?

    I believe you get a discount on the machine price for 'accepting' all
    that crap.

    Presumably this guy doesn't value his time very highly, else he would
    have paid the extra $50 (or whatever) in exchange for his six hours
    (or whatever). If he had purchased a Linux (pre-installed) machine,
    and it had all the adware on it, the trade-off would have been the
    same.

    Alan.

    My unmunged email is: (valid for 30 days
    min probably much longer).
    Alan, Jul 2, 2009
  6. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Enkidu Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    > Then you'd have to do the Windows driver dance, go around vendors' websites
    > looking for all the necessary add-on bits for your hardware. Much easier to
    > have the installer recognize your hardware and select the appropriate
    > drivers automatically, don't you think?

    Hah! I haven't got time to knock the rough edges off my notes, but
    there's a *book* in the story of how I got my Ubuntu system to properly
    run my video card. Then I upgraded Ubuntu to 9.04 and I had to do it all
    again.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Jul 2, 2009
  7. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Cima Guest

    On Thu, 02 Jul 2009 20:14:20 +1200, Enkidu <> wrote:

    >Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >>
    >> Then you'd have to do the Windows driver dance, go around vendors' websites
    >> looking for all the necessary add-on bits for your hardware. Much easier to
    >> have the installer recognize your hardware and select the appropriate
    >> drivers automatically, don't you think?
    >>

    >Hah! I haven't got time to knock the rough edges off my notes, but
    >there's a *book* in the story of how I got my Ubuntu system to properly
    >run my video card. Then I upgraded Ubuntu to 9.04 and I had to do it all
    >again.

    LOL, add a Wireless chapter to that book!
    Cima, Jul 2, 2009
  8. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Rhino Guest

    On Thu, 02 Jul 2009 13:12:41 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    <_zealand> wrote:

    >Then you'd have to do the Windows driver dance, go around vendors' websites
    >looking for all the necessary add-on bits for your hardware. Much easier to
    >have the installer recognize your hardware and select the appropriate
    >drivers automatically, don't you think?

    Not if you had the vendors install/recovery cd/dvd. It should have
    the drivers for the PC on it. Any updates after the production date
    of the cd will obviously be missing. If you want the latest, you will
    have to d/l them from somewhere.

    This applies to any Linux distro. Assuming that I d/l Ubuntu 8.0X (as
    an example) and at the time I install it, Ubuntu 8.1X is available
    with later drivers for my NIC and video card, then I still have to
    hunt on the net for the latest drivers, as they will not be included
    in the 8.0X distro.

    Windows is the same. XP SP1 will not contains the latest drivers that
    are in SP3.

    From my experience, both Ubuntu and Windows will prompt when updated
    drivers are available to the user.
    Rhino, Jul 2, 2009
  9. On Thu, 02 Jul 2009 23:48:39 +1200, Rhino <> wrote:

    >On Thu, 02 Jul 2009 13:12:41 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    ><_zealand> wrote:
    >
    >>Then you'd have to do the Windows driver dance, go around vendors' websites
    >>looking for all the necessary add-on bits for your hardware. Much easier to
    >>have the installer recognize your hardware and select the appropriate
    >>drivers automatically, don't you think?

    >Not if you had the vendors install/recovery cd/dvd. It should have
    >the drivers for the PC on it. Any updates after the production date
    >of the cd will obviously be missing. If you want the latest, you will
    >have to d/l them from somewhere.
    >
    >This applies to any Linux distro. Assuming that I d/l Ubuntu 8.0X (as
    >an example) and at the time I install it, Ubuntu 8.1X is available
    >with later drivers for my NIC and video card, then I still have to
    >hunt on the net for the latest drivers, as they will not be included
    >in the 8.0X distro.

    There is usually no hunting involved these days. Just let your
    package manager check for updates and download and install what it
    finds. It is really only with a few proprietary drivers that you have
    to do any work to find and install them.

    Stephen Worthington, Jul 2, 2009
  10. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Craig Sutton Guest

    "Me" <> wrote in message
    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >
    >> The uninstalls and reboots take HOURS. I use another tool, CCleaner,
    >> turn off programs in Startup that aren’t frequently needed.

    > perhaps a clue to the fiasco is revealed in that statement - ie he really
    > didn't have a clue to start with

    Yeah he bought a DELL his own stupid fault
    ..
    Craig Sutton, Jul 2, 2009
  11. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Me Guest

    Craig Sutton wrote:

    > "Me" <> wrote in message
    >> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >>
    >>> The uninstalls and reboots take HOURS. I use another tool,
    >>> CCleaner, to
    >>> turn off programs in Startup that aren’t frequently needed.

    >> perhaps a clue to the fiasco is revealed in that statement - ie he
    >> really didn't have a clue to start with

    > Yeah he bought a DELL his own stupid fault

    LOL. And wrt my recent experiences with Dell, Toshiba, and Acer, then
    the significant difference is -> <-.

    The most time consuming part was making recovery disks if they don't
    come with them. That's a major PITA, for the sake of the makers saving
    a couple of bucks.
    Me, Jul 2, 2009
  12. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Alan Guest

    "Me" <> wrote in message
    > Craig Sutton wrote:
    >>
    >> "Me" <> wrote in message

    >>> perhaps a clue to the fiasco is revealed in that statement - ie he
    >>> really didn't have a clue to start with

    >> Yeah he bought a DELL his own stupid fault
    >>

    > LOL. And wrt my recent experiences with Dell, Toshiba, and Acer,
    > then the significant difference is -> <-.
    >
    > The most time consuming part was making recovery disks if they don't
    > come with them. That's a major PITA, for the sake of the makers
    > saving a couple of bucks.

    Quick image using your favourite imaging app - 10 or 15 mins?

    I've never really understood the issue myself.

    Must be missing something.

    Alan, Jul 2, 2009