    Such a copy MUST be preinstalled for the customer by a “System Builderâ€
    using the OEM Preinstallation Kit “and then resold to a non-related third
    partyâ€.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Nov 5, 2009

  2. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Me Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > Note that you CANNOT buy an OEM copy of Windows for installation on a PC
    > yourself <http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=1514&page=2&tag=col1;post-1514>.
    > Such a copy MUST be preinstalled for the customer by a “System Builderâ€
    > using the OEM Preinstallation Kit “and then resold to a non-related third
    > partyâ€.

    That's strange, because despite your insistence that "you CANNOT", I've
    done it several times, and despite that being previous versions to W7, I
    see pricespy listing dozens of companies happily offering various
    versions of W7 for sale with OEM license.
    IIRC such claims - though usually stating that you MAY not - have been
    made many times in the past in this forum.
    Me, Nov 5, 2009

  3. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    peterwn Guest

    On Nov 6, 9:20 am, Me <> wrote:
    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > > Note that you CANNOT buy an OEM copy of Windows for installation on a PC
    > > yourself <http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=1514&page=2&tag=col1;post-1514>.
    > > Such a copy MUST be preinstalled for the customer by a “System Builder”
    > > using the OEM Preinstallation Kit “and then resold to a non-related third
    > > party”.

    > That's strange, because despite your insistence that "you CANNOT", I've
    > done it several times, and despite that being previous versions to W7, I
    > see pricespy listing dozens of companies happily offering various
    > versions of W7 for sale with OEM license.
    > IIRC such claims - though usually stating that you MAY not - have been
    > made many times in the past in this forum.

    There are two types of OEM as far as I can see. There is the one for
    'small time' assemblers which you can buy with a hardware purchase
    (seems to be interpreted very liberally) which requires product key
    and activation.

    The other type is for big time assemblers like HP and Dell. they seem
    to exist of a kit consisting of a master copy and a heap of licence
    stickers. There is some interaction with the BIOS which avoids the
    need to authenticate. Presumably Windows is imaged on to the HD then
    customised by scanning the licence sticker attached to the computer
    via a USB scanner. This would seem to 'lock in' the OS to that
    machine. A rescue CD (or partition on HD) enables the OS to be
    restored as original.

    These OEM copies would be cheaper than 'small time' OEM's and the OEM
    then gets a substantial 'kick back' pretty well at Microsoft's sole
    discretion making the effective price quite low (perhaps a few tens of
    dollars). These ransactions are channeled through the likes of Ireland
    so the likes of IRD, ATO, IRS, HMRC etc are bilked. These 'kick backs'
    is how Microsoft maintain an iron grip over OEM's since the OEM has no
    legal comeback if Microsoft with holds payment. An OEM must AFAIK
    agree to buy a Windows licence for every computer it ships including
    those loaded with Linux etc, and it seems to pay OEM's to over-buy
    licences or buy them well in advance of need. Hence there were
    apparently far more Vista licences sold initially than computers
    actually shipped with Vista, which Microsoft gloatingly used to show
    the success of Vista uptake.
    peterwn, Nov 5, 2009
  4. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Roger_Nickel Guest

    On Fri, 06 Nov 2009 09:20:09 +1300, Me wrote:

    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >> Note that you CANNOT buy an OEM copy of Windows for installation on a
    >> PC yourself
    >> <http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=1514&page=2&tag=col1;post-1514>. Such a
    >> copy MUST be preinstalled for the customer by a “System Builder†using
    >> the OEM Preinstallation Kit “and then resold to a non-related third
    >> partyâ€.

    > That's strange, because despite your insistence that "you CANNOT", I've
    > done it several times, and despite that being previous versions to W7, I
    > see pricespy listing dozens of companies happily offering various
    > versions of W7 for sale with OEM license. IIRC such claims - though
    > usually stating that you MAY not - have been made many times in the past
    > in this forum.

    Ascent used to offer OEM Windows as part of a hardware purchase. The
    license for the version that came with my computer states that it must be
    used with the machine with which it is purchased. It doesn't say anything
    about the machine already being assembled. From the XP OEM EULA.

    "..The term "COMPUTER" as used herein shall mean the

    HARDWARE, if the HARDWARE is a single

    computer system, or shall mean the computer system with

    which the HARDWARE operates, if the

    HARDWARE is a computer system component..."
    Roger_Nickel, Nov 5, 2009
  5. In message <hcvc43$4m4$>, Me wrote:

    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >
    >> Note that you CANNOT buy an OEM copy of Windows for installation on a PC
    >> yourself <http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=1514&page=2&tag=col1;post-1514>.
    >> Such a copy MUST be preinstalled for the customer by a “System Builderâ€
    >> using the OEM Preinstallation Kit “and then resold to a non-related third
    >> partyâ€.

    > That's strange, because despite your insistence that "you CANNOT", I've
    > done it several times ...

    You don’t feel nervous about admitting to rampant copyright infringement in
    a public forum?

    > ... I see pricespy listing dozens of companies happily offering various
    > versions of W7 for sale with OEM license.

    I didn’t say they were the ones violating the EULA.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Nov 6, 2009
  6. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    victor Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In message <hcvc43$4m4$>, Me wrote:
    >
    >> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >>
    >>> Note that you CANNOT buy an OEM copy of Windows for installation on a PC
    >>> yourself <http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=1514&page=2&tag=col1;post-1514>.
    >>> Such a copy MUST be preinstalled for the customer by a “System Builderâ€
    >>> using the OEM Preinstallation Kit “and then resold to a non-related third
    >>> partyâ€.

    >> That's strange, because despite your insistence that "you CANNOT", I've
    >> done it several times ...

    > You don’t feel nervous about admitting to rampant copyright infringement in
    > a public forum?
    >
    >> ... I see pricespy listing dozens of companies happily offering various
    >> versions of W7 for sale with OEM license.

    > I didn’t say they were the ones violating the EULA.

    So who is ?
    victor, Nov 6, 2009
  7. In message <hd0g9q$81v$-september.org>, victor wrote:

    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    >>> That's strange, because despite your insistence that "you CANNOT", I've
    >>> done it several times ...

    >> You don’t feel nervous about admitting to rampant copyright infringement
    >> in a public forum?
    >>
    >>> ... I see pricespy listing dozens of companies happily offering various
    >>> versions of W7 for sale with OEM license.

    >> I didn’t say they were the ones violating the EULA.

    > So who is ?

    Hint: what does the "EU" part stand for?
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Nov 6, 2009
  8. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    victor Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In message <hd0g9q$81v$-september.org>, victor wrote:
    >
    >> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    >>> You don’t feel nervous about admitting to rampant copyright infringement
    >>> in a public forum?

    >>> I didn’t say they were the ones violating the EULA.

    >> So who is ?

    > Hint: what does the "EU" part stand for?

    It doesn't have anything about the OPK in the EULA
    victor, Nov 6, 2009
  9. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Me Guest

    victor wrote:
    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    >>> So who is ?

    >> Hint: what does the "EU" part stand for?

    > It doesn't have anything about the OPK in the EULA

    Don't worry. Larry is obsessing about people not being able to meet
    EULA terms on something that they can't easily buy anyway.
    Me, Nov 6, 2009
  10. In message <hd0knp$13e$-september.org>, victor wrote:

    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >
    >> Note that you CANNOT buy an OEM copy of Windows for installation on a
    >> PC yourself
    >> <http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=1514&page=2&tag=col1;post-1514>. Such
    >> a copy MUST be preinstalled for the customer by a “System Builderâ€
    >> using the OEM Preinstallation Kit “and then resold to a non-related
    >> third partyâ€.

    > It doesn't have anything about the OPK in the EULA

    Don’t believe me? Read what Microsoft has to say about it
    <http://oem.microsoft.com/script/contentPage.aspx?pageid=558124>.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Nov 6, 2009
  11. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    victor Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In message <hd0knp$13e$-september.org>, victor wrote:
    >
    >> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >>
    >>> Note that you CANNOT buy an OEM copy of Windows for installation on a
    >>> PC yourself
    >>> <http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=1514&page=2&tag=col1;post-1514>. Such
    >>> a copy MUST be preinstalled for the customer by a “System Builderâ€
    >>> using the OEM Preinstallation Kit “and then resold to a non-related
    >>> third partyâ€.

    >> It doesn't have anything about the OPK in the EULA

    > Don’t believe me? Read what Microsoft has to say about it
    > <http://oem.microsoft.com/script/contentPage.aspx?pageid=558124>.

    Read it yourself.
    victor, Nov 6, 2009
  12. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    EMB Guest

    peterwn wrote:

    > The other type is for big time assemblers like HP and Dell. they seem
    > to exist of a kit consisting of a master copy and a heap of licence
    > stickers. There is some interaction with the BIOS which avoids the
    > need to authenticate. Presumably Windows is imaged on to the HD then
    > customised by scanning the licence sticker attached to the computer
    > via a USB scanner. This would seem to 'lock in' the OS to that
    > machine. A rescue CD (or partition on HD) enables the OS to be
    > restored as original.

    For the large manufacturers Windows is installed with a generic licence
    key that is used on all the PCs with that OS sold by that
    manufacturer[1]. These generic keys do not need activation and are in
    no way tied to the BIOS [2], although the OS image on the recovery media
    may well have a BIOS check built in to it. Sysprep is then run to allow
    the user's name, location and so on to be entered and GUIDs to be
    regenerated upon the next startup. At no stage is the licence key
    attached to the machine actually entered into the OS.

    [1] Try checking the licence number against the sticker on a factory
    preinstalled machine from on of the large vendors - they will not match.

    [2] I have always built standard client images off a generic (ie small
    assembler) OEM copy of Windows XP using the generic manufacturer key
    from the original (HP, IBM or Dell) install to avoid activation.
    EMB, Nov 6, 2009
  13. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    victor Guest

    Me wrote:
    > victor wrote:
    >> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    >>> Hint: what does the "EU" part stand for?

    >> It doesn't have anything about the OPK in the EULA
    > >

    > Don't worry. Larry is obsessing about people not being able to meet
    > EULA terms on something that they can't easily buy anyway.

    Why ?
    A system builder can also be an end user.
    Building a system can be as simple as adding the software to the
    hardware, and that makes you a system builder.
    Building a PC from scratch is mobo, ram, processor, disk, psu, case, OS,
    and there is no requirement which excludes any level of pre-assembly and
    or pre-use of the hardware.
    victor, Nov 6, 2009
  14. In message <hd2608$gl3$-september.org>, victor wrote:

    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >
    >> In message <hd0knp$13e$-september.org>, victor wrote:
    >>
    >>> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >>>

    >> Don’t believe me? Read what Microsoft has to say about it
    >> <http://oem.microsoft.com/script/contentPage.aspx?pageid=558124>.

    > Read it yourself.

    To be ignorant is one thing, but to wilfully remain so when your ignorance
    is pointed out to you, well ...

    Anyway, the full OEM licence agreement is available here
    <http://oem.microsoft.com/script/contentPage.aspx?pageid=552857>. Some
    choice bits:

    2. Authorized Distribution and Acceptance. To distribute the Software or
    Hardware in this Pack, you must be a System Builder and accept this
    license. “System Builder†means an original equipment manufacturer, an
    assembler, a refurbisher, or a software pre-installer that sells the
    Computer System(s) to a third party. You accept this license when you
    open this Pack. If you choose not to accept this license, promptly return
    the unopened Pack to your distributor. You may only distribute unopened
    Packs within your territory. ... Individual Hardware or Software units
    may not be returned after the Pack is opened.
    5. Distribution.
    a. Software Preinstallation.
    i. For each unit of Software in the Pack, you must pre-install one copy
    of the Software on a Customer System prior to distribution. If the
    Software includes more than one language version, you must install
    only one language version.
    ii. For such pre-installation, you must use the OPK provided in the pack
    or otherwise made available by us. You may use the information,
    tools and materials contained in the OPK solely to preinstall the
    Software in accordance with the OPK. ... You may not distribute the
    OPK to the end user.
    b. End User License Terms. You must distribute the Software pursuant to
    the end user license terms (“License Termsâ€) that accompany it. Under
    the License Terms, you are the licensor.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Nov 6, 2009
  15. In message <hd26jc$mvv$-september.org>, victor wrote:

    > A system builder can also be an end user.

    Not according to the licence agreement.

    It never ceases to amaze me how ignorant Dimdows users can be about the
    licensing of the very software they claim to be such experts in. It's like
    you deliberately want to be software pirates.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Nov 7, 2009
  16. In message <hcu2he$guj$>, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    > Note that you CANNOT buy an OEM copy of Windows for installation on a PC
    > yourself <http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=1514&page=2&tag=col1;post-1514>.
    > Such a copy MUST be preinstalled for the customer by a “System Builderâ€
    > using the OEM Preinstallation Kit “and then resold to a non-related third
    > partyâ€.

    And here’s another thing: if you buy an upgrade, you CANNOT dual-boot it
    with the previous version
    <http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=1514&page=3&tag=col1;post-1514>. It MUST
    REPLACE the previous installation.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Nov 7, 2009
  17. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    victor Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In message <hd2608$gl3$-september.org>, victor wrote:
    >
    >> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    >>> Don’t believe me? Read what Microsoft has to say about it
    >>> <http://oem.microsoft.com/script/contentPage.aspx?pageid=558124>.

    >> Read it yourself.

    > To be ignorant is one thing, but to wilfully remain so when your ignorance
    > is pointed out to you, well ...
    >
    > Anyway, the full OEM licence agreement is available here
    > <http://oem.microsoft.com/script/contentPage.aspx?pageid=552857>. Some
    > choice bits:
    >
    > 2. Authorized Distribution and Acceptance. To distribute the Software or
    > Hardware in this Pack, you must be a System Builder and accept this
    > license. “System Builder†means an original equipment manufacturer, an
    > assembler, a refurbisher, or a software pre-installer that sells the
    > Computer System(s) to a third party. You accept this license when you
    > open this Pack. If you choose not to accept this license, promptly return
    > the unopened Pack to your distributor. You may only distribute unopened
    > Packs within your territory. ... Individual Hardware or Software units
    > may not be returned after the Pack is opened.
    > 5. Distribution.
    > a. Software Preinstallation.
    > i. For each unit of Software in the Pack, you must pre-install one copy
    > of the Software on a Customer System prior to distribution. If the
    > Software includes more than one language version, you must install
    > only one language version.
    > ii. For such pre-installation, you must use the OPK provided in the pack
    > or otherwise made available by us. You may use the information,
    > tools and materials contained in the OPK solely to preinstall the
    > Software in accordance with the OPK. ... You may not distribute the
    > OPK to the end user.
    > b. End User License Terms. You must distribute the Software pursuant to
    > the end user license terms (“License Termsâ€) that accompany it. Under
    > the License Terms, you are the licensor.

    This license lays out the conditions of distribution only.
    You don't have to sell the computer to a third party. I often do, but
    there is nothing in this to stop me activating and using on OPK
    pre-installation for myself.
    There is no qualifying criteria that defines a system builder, the OS is
    a system component that any self described system builder can buy from
    component wholesalers.

    And go shove all that ad hom bullshit up your sanctimonious arse.
    victor, Nov 7, 2009
  18. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Gordon Guest

    On 2009-11-07, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote:
    > In message <hcu2he$guj$>, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >
    >> Note that you CANNOT buy an OEM copy of Windows for installation on a PC
    >> yourself <http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=1514&page=2&tag=col1;post-1514>.
    >> Such a copy MUST be preinstalled for the customer by a ?System Builder?
    >> using the OEM Preinstallation Kit ?and then resold to a non-related third
    >> party?.

    > And here?s another thing: if you buy an upgrade, you CANNOT dual-boot it
    > with the previous version
    ><http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=1514&page=3&tag=col1;post-1514>. It MUST
    > REPLACE the previous installation.

    Yes, Yes, this has been the case since MS has had upgrades. It is an
    upgrade, not a split. After all that is why upgrades cost less than the full
    edition
    Gordon, Nov 7, 2009
  19. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Gordon Guest

    On 2009-11-06, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote:
    > In message <hcvc43$4m4$>, Me wrote:
    >
    >> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >>
    >>> Note that you CANNOT buy an OEM copy of Windows for installation on a PC
    >>> yourself <http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=1514&page=2&tag=col1;post-1514>.
    >>> Such a copy MUST be preinstalled for the customer by a ?System Builder?
    >>> using the OEM Preinstallation Kit ?and then resold to a non-related third
    >>> party?.

    >> That's strange, because despite your insistence that "you CANNOT", I've
    >> done it several times ...

    > You don?t feel nervous about admitting to rampant copyright infringement in
    > a public forum?

    So you believe all that you read?
    Gordon, Nov 7, 2009
  20. In message <hd2het$i30$-september.org>, victor wrote:

    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >>
    >> 2. Authorized Distribution and Acceptance. To distribute the Software or
    >> Hardware in this Pack, you must be a System Builder and accept this
    >> license. “System Builder†means an original equipment manufacturer, an
    >> assembler, a refurbisher, or a software pre-installer that sells the
    >> Computer System(s) to a third party. You accept this license when you
    >> open this Pack. If you choose not to accept this license, promptly
    >> return the unopened Pack to your distributor. You may only distribute
    >> unopened Packs within your territory. ... Individual Hardware or
    >> Software units may not be returned after the Pack is opened.
    >> 5. Distribution.
    >> a. Software Preinstallation.
    >> i. For each unit of Software in the Pack, you must pre-install one
    >> copy
    >> of the Software on a Customer System prior to distribution. If
    >> the Software includes more than one language version, you must
    >> install only one language version.
    >> ii. For such pre-installation, you must use the OPK provided in the
    >> pack or otherwise made available by us. You may use the
    >> information, tools and materials contained in the OPK solely to
    >> preinstall the Software in accordance with the OPK. ... You may
    >> not distribute the OPK to the end user.
    >> b. End User License Terms. You must distribute the Software pursuant to
    >> the end user license terms (“License Termsâ€) that accompany it.
    >> Under the License Terms, you are the licensor.

    > This license lays out the conditions of distribution only.
    > You don't have to sell the computer to a third party.

    Yes you do--read the above. A “System Builder†is NOT allowed to use the
    installation themselves. Just to make it even clearer:

    4. Limited License. If you comply with the terms of this license, Microsoft
    grants you a limited license to distribute the Software or Hardware.
    Except as granted in this license, you may not use, run, copy, modify,
    display, distribute, repackage or reassemble the Software, Hardware, OPK
    or any part of them.

    Has that sunk in yet?

    > There is no qualifying criteria that defines a system builder ...

    Yes there are, it’s all spelled out in section 2 that I quoted above.

    > And go shove all that ad hom bullshit up your sanctimonious arse.

    Getting a bit tetchy about being a software pirate, perhaps?

    Like I said, to be ignorant is one thing, but to wilfully remain so when
    your ignorance is pointed out to you ...

    .... makes you a fool.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Nov 7, 2009