    Dimdows XP installed on the back. As I expected, it costs $100 more than
    the Linux version.

    Let's see how well it sells...

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Mar 26, 2008

  2. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    sam Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > The latest Dick Smith flyer prominently features the version of the Eee with
    > Dimdows XP installed on the back. As I expected, it costs $100 more than
    > the Linux version.
    >
    > Let's see how well it sells...

    Better get in quick, its not even in the stores yet and Microsoft plans
    to stop licensing XP to OEMs on June 30 2008
    http://www.news.com/Microsoft-extends-Windows-XPs-stay/2100-1016_3-6210524.html?tag=nefd.lede

    Their original plan was to can it on Jan 31st.

    sam, Mar 26, 2008

  3. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    blanking Guest

    > The latest Dick Smith flyer prominently features the version of the Eee
    > with
    > Dimdows XP installed on the back. As I expected, it costs $100 more than
    > the Linux version.
    >
    > Let's see how well it sells...

    Yeah I would expect that sales will take off now that it has windows on it.

    blanking, Mar 26, 2008
  4. In article <47e9c621$>, blanking did write:

    >> The latest Dick Smith flyer prominently features the version of the Eee
    >> with Dimdows XP installed on the back. As I expected, it costs $100 more
    >> than the Linux version.
    >>
    >> Let's see how well it sells...

    > Yeah I would expect that sales will take off now that it has windows on
    > it.

    I'm not so sure. Consider that the consumer market is the one bright spot
    that has enthusiastically embraced Vista. Now here is someone trying to fob
    them off with the antiquated older XP, whose days everybody knows are
    numbered--think they're really going to go for that? Notwithstanding the
    higher price makes it more comparable to conventionally-sized laptops that
    people may prefer.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Mar 26, 2008
  5. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    blanking Guest

    > In article <47e9c621$>, blanking did write:

    >>> The latest Dick Smith flyer prominently features the version of the Eee
    >>> with Dimdows XP installed on the back. As I expected, it costs $100 more
    >>> than the Linux version.
    >>>
    >>> Let's see how well it sells...

    >> Yeah I would expect that sales will take off now that it has windows on
    >> it.

    > I'm not so sure. Consider that the consumer market is the one bright spot
    > that has enthusiastically embraced Vista. Now here is someone trying to
    > fob
    > them off with the antiquated older XP, whose days everybody knows are
    > numbered--think they're really going to go for that? Notwithstanding the
    > higher price makes it more comparable to conventionally-sized laptops that
    > people may prefer.

    I was more thinking about the fact that a non-mswindows os would have put
    people off the earlier models, an mswindows os of any kind should see a lot
    more interest from joe public, i would expect the popularity of these to
    take-off soon..

    blanking, Mar 26, 2008
  6. In article <47ead465$>, blanking did write:

    > I was more thinking about the fact that a non-mswindows os would have put
    > people off the earlier models ...

    Didn't seem to, judging from sales figures so far.

    > ... an mswindows os of any kind should see a lot more interest from joe
    > public ...

    The problem is the main ostensible selling point of running Windows on the
    Eee--namety, compatibility with this supposed wide range of available
    Windows software--falls down a bit when you realize that much of that
    software will not run well on such a modest-specced machine.

    I certainly welcome the idea of seeing both Linux and Windows versions
    offered for sale side by side. More than a few punters will be asking why
    the Windows version costs so much more, and what exactly they would be
    getting for their money. It's the sort of question about Windows that most
    salespeople haven't had to deal with in a long time.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Mar 26, 2008
  7. In article <47ead465$>, blanking did write:

    > I was more thinking about the fact that a non-mswindows os would have put
    > people off the earlier models ...

    ABSOLUTELY no sign of that
    <http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/03/26/asus_admits_eee_supply_issues/>.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Mar 26, 2008
  8. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    frederick Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > More than a few punters will be asking why
    > the Windows version costs so much more, and what exactly they would be
    > getting for their money. It's the sort of question about Windows that most
    > salespeople haven't had to deal with in a long time.

    Easily answered. Point them to an OEM, let alone "retail" copy of XP,
    and show them what a bargain they are getting.

    frederick, Mar 27, 2008
  9. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Rob Simpson Guest

    On Thu, 27 Mar 2008 12:49:11 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro propped his
    eyelids open with toothpicks and wrote:

    > In article <47ead465$>, blanking did write:
    >
    >> I was more thinking about the fact that a non-mswindows os would have
    >> put people off the earlier models ...

    > ABSOLUTELY no sign of that
    > <http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/03/26/asus_admits_eee_supply_issues/>.

    On the same page reghardware list the EEE 4GB Surf Linux as the most
    wanted laptop.

    I have one minor operation to go, then I hope to be able to increase my
    hours and hunt for more clients than I currently maintain, which will
    require me getting a laptop(1). I've more or less settled on a EEE Linux
    version, installing Ubuntu instead of the baby Xandros os, and XP as a
    guest os in Virtualbox, with the XP iso on a USB stick.

    (1) I've got a laptop, an old Hautung P166/32MB/4GB that a friend found in
    a rubbish bin. I have Win98 on it, but I want to install a low spec Linux
    on it, like DSL or Feather, and turn it into a mail server. Trouble is the
    built-in cdrom won't read any burnt cds, so OOTD I'll have to do a network
    install.
    --
    Rob - Linux user number 467898 Ubuntu User number 17166
    Linux 2.6.22-14-generic - E2160 1.8Ghz running at 3.0Ghz

    Rob Simpson, Mar 27, 2008
  10. In article <47eb19a7$>, Rob Simpson did write:

    > I've more or less settled on a EEE Linux
    > version, installing Ubuntu instead of the baby Xandros os...

    Note there is an Eeexubuntu distro, if you're interested.

    I'm wondering whether to dump Xandros, too. They've only just brought out an
    update to Firefox 2.0.0.11--I'm still running 2.0.0.7 on this thing.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Mar 27, 2008
  11. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Rob Simpson Guest

    On Thu, 27 Mar 2008 20:33:42 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro propped his
    eyelids open with toothpicks and wrote:

    > In article <47eb19a7$>, Rob Simpson did write:
    >
    >> I've more or less settled on a EEE Linux version, installing Ubuntu
    >> instead of the baby Xandros os...

    > Note there is an Eeexubuntu distro, if you're interested.

    Yes, saw an article about it, but I have yet to see if anyone has gotten
    virtualbox to run on it, whereas it does on an install of standard
    Xubuntu. (I meant Xubuntu in my previous post. Lower footprint and lighter
    use of resources than Ubuntu.) I'm waiting on a reply to a question I
    posted asking about any difficulties involved in loading Xubuntu on the
    EEE.

    > I'm wondering whether to dump Xandros, too. They've only just brought
    > out an update to Firefox 2.0.0.11--I'm still running 2.0.0.7 on this
    > thing.

    I've been trying out FF3.0B4 for the past week. It seems a lot quicker
    typing in the address bar. Of course it doesn't support a few of the
    extensions I use, in particular Tabmix Plus, which I like for being able
    to re-open tabs I close by accident. I'll get around to making some
    comparisons between FF2 and FF3 soon, but it definitely uses less memory
    and it releases it properly as well when closing, which FF2 doesn't always
    do.I haven't found any bugs yet either. From what I've read, this beta is
    very close to being the full release. The extension developers seem to
    think so, as a lot of them have already updated their addons to work with
    it.

    --
    Rob - Linux user number 467898 Ubuntu User number 17166
    Linux 2.6.22-14-generic - E2160 1.8Ghz running at 3.0Ghz
    Students nowadays, complaining they only get 5MBs of disk space! In my day
    we were lucky if we had one file, and that was /dev/null.

    Rob Simpson, Mar 27, 2008
  12. frederick wrote:
    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >> More than a few punters will be asking why
    >> the Windows version costs so much more, and what exactly they would be
    >> getting for their money. It's the sort of question about Windows that
    >> most
    >> salespeople haven't had to deal with in a long time.

    > Easily answered. Point them to an OEM, let alone "retail" copy of XP,
    > and show them what a bargain they are getting.

    I thought Microsoft wants you to buy retail all hail the mighty dollar!
    with any machine you buy and the oem was for demo purposes :)

    Windows XP has matured into a usable system and everybody seams worried
    about the unknown Vista and linux I have had people say (non-technical)
    that vista is not Microsoft windows! Talk about a marketing flop!

    RecyclerMan (Robert Cooze), Mar 28, 2008
  13. In article <1206577022.424222@ftpsrv1>, frederick did write:

    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >
    >> More than a few punters will be asking why
    >> the Windows version costs so much more, and what exactly they would be
    >> getting for their money. It's the sort of question about Windows that
    >> most salespeople haven't had to deal with in a long time.

    > Easily answered. Point them to an OEM, let alone "retail" copy of XP,
    > and show them what a bargain they are getting.

    Still doesn't explain why it's adding 17% to the purchase price, though.
    Saying it could be worse isn't exactly being competitive, is it?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Mar 28, 2008
  14. In article <fsc9cm$rkf$>, Lawrence D'Oliveiro did write:

    > The latest Dick Smith flyer prominently features the version of the Eee
    > with Dimdows XP installed on the back. As I expected, it costs $100 more
    > than the Linux version.

    Hmm, been dropped from today's flyers. Also no sign of Harvey Norman rising
    to the bait--they're still advertising only the Linux version.

    By the way, now we have some hints as to what Microsoft's answer will be to
    stay in the ultralight game after XP is dropped at the end of June. They're
    going to offer some version of ... ta-da ...

    .... XP Starter Edition

    That's right, the cut-down toy OS that only lets you run 3 apps at a time.
    Are they serious!? But then, they can't offer full XP for a cut-down price,
    and they have to offer a cut-down price to stay competitive with Linux.
    Certainly stuck between a rock and a painfully hard place.

    More here
    <http://www.midmarket.eweek.com/c/a/News/Windows-XP-to-Live-On-in-LowCost-Intel-Devices/>.
    And some more Eee-alikes are being shown off here
    <http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/04/01/idf_eee_pc_clones_demod/>.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Apr 2, 2008
  15. In article <fsv6eg$63i$>, Lawrence D'Oliveiro did write:

    > By the way, now we have some hints as to what Microsoft's answer will be
    > to stay in the ultralight game after XP is dropped at the end of June.

    Found this item <http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9590_22-6210524.html> from last
    year, when Microsoft announced it was extending the deadline for killing XP
    from January to June. Just had to chuckle at this part:

    Microsoft, for its part, sought to downplay the impact of the move,
    disagreeing with the notion that there is still strong demand for XP.

    "We wouldn't term it strong," said Kevin Kutz, a director in Microsoft's
    Windows Client unit. "We would describe this as accommodating a certain
    element who needs more time."

    Wonder if they would "term it strong" now ...

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Apr 2, 2008
  16. In article <fsv6eg$63i$>, Lawrence D'Oliveiro did write:

    > And some more Eee-alikes are being shown off here
    > <http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/04/01/idf_eee_pc_clones_demod/>.

    Also a new, more compact RAM standard for these smaller machines
    <http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/04/02/micro-dimms-replace-dimms>.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Apr 2, 2008