Dimdows Autorun Stupidity

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 23, 2009.

  1. Or, why turning off autorun doesn't actually turn off autorun:
    <http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=2410>.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 23, 2009

  2. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Scrant Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > Or, why turning off autorun doesn't actually turn off autorun:
    > <http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=2410>.

    <delurk>
    You really ought to see somebody about this obsession you have with
    discrediting something you don't like. I don't like liver. In fact I
    loathe it. It makes me puke. But I don't send nasty notes to butchers.

    You might surprise yourself and find there's more to life, like good
    food, good wine, and oh so good women.

    Just a thought.
    </delurk>

    Scrant, Jan 23, 2009

  3. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <glc8s5$2ll$>, says...
    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > > Or, why turning off autorun doesn't actually turn off autorun:
    > > <http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=2410>.

    > <delurk>
    > You really ought to see somebody about this obsession you have with
    > discrediting something you don't like. I don't like liver. In fact I
    > loathe it. It makes me puke. But I don't send nasty notes to butchers.
    >
    > You might surprise yourself and find there's more to life, like good
    > food, good wine, and oh so good women.
    >
    > Just a thought.
    > </delurk>

    Microsoft's Tweak UI, part of Powertoys, does a great job of disabling
    autorun, or even turning off whole drives.

    --
    Duncan

    Dave Doe, Jan 23, 2009
  4. In message <glc8s5$2ll$>, Scrant wrote:

    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >> Or, why turning off autorun doesn't actually turn off autorun:
    >> <http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=2410>.

    > You really ought to see somebody about this obsession you have with
    > discrediting something you don't like.

    Selective memory strikes again. If you read this newsgroup, you'll see that
    I post on a great variety of things. Yet it seems to be primarily the
    Microsoft comments that attract the trolls and retards. Is that my fault?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 23, 2009
  5. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <glcjpa$hni$>,
    says...
    > Somewhere on teh intarwebs Dave Doe wrote:
    > >>
    > >> <delurk>
    > >> You really ought to see somebody about this obsession you have with
    > >> discrediting something you don't like. I don't like liver. In fact I
    > >> loathe it. It makes me puke. But I don't send nasty notes to
    > >> butchers.
    > >>
    > >> You might surprise yourself and find there's more to life, like good
    > >> food, good wine, and oh so good women.
    > >>
    > >> Just a thought.
    > >> </delurk>

    > > Microsoft's Tweak UI, part of Powertoys, does a great job of disabling
    > > autorun, or even turning off whole drives.

    > Yeah, anyone who's been using Windows for a while knows that....
    >
    > Not so Larry. Poor sad ****. I mean, FFS! He even got Scrant to de-lurk!
    >
    > Have a good weekend all,

    I never see his messages :)

    --
    Duncan

    Dave Doe, Jan 23, 2009
  6. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    greg Guest

    Bobs wrote:
    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    >>> You really ought to see somebody about this obsession you have with
    >>> discrediting something you don't like.

    >> Selective memory strikes again. If you read this newsgroup, you'll see
    >> that
    >> I post on a great variety of things. Yet it seems to be primarily the
    >> Microsoft comments that attract the trolls and retards. Is that my fault?

    > You're a troll, Larry. Your obsession with Windows is pathetic. As
    > pointed out, if you dislike something just ignore it. I dislike Mac OSX
    > but you don't see much posting shit about it every day. You don't like
    > Windows. We get it. You don't need to tell us every day about what
    > problems it has. It's a complicated piece of software, just like every
    > OS. I'm sure there's thousands of bugs, just like Linux and MacOSX. We
    > don't care - move on.
    >
    > Plus Autorun is easily disabled I might add. Not that I expect you to
    > know that.

    Lawrence still hasn't got a life yet.... maybe we can all put some money
    in and buy him a nice girl for a few hours, it might help calm him down
    a bit *grin*

    greg, Jan 24, 2009

    Not so easily, it appears <http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=2410>.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 24, 2009
  8. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Dave Doe wrote:
    > In article <glc8s5$2ll$>, says...
    >> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >>> Or, why turning off autorun doesn't actually turn off autorun:
    >>> <http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=2410>.

    >> <delurk>
    >> You really ought to see somebody about this obsession you have with
    >> discrediting something you don't like. I don't like liver. In fact I
    >> loathe it. It makes me puke. But I don't send nasty notes to
    >> butchers.
    >>
    >> You might surprise yourself and find there's more to life, like good
    >> food, good wine, and oh so good women.
    >>
    >> Just a thought.
    >> </delurk>

    > Microsoft's Tweak UI, part of Powertoys, does a great job of disabling
    > autorun, or even turning off whole drives.

    Yeah, anyone who's been using Windows for a while knows that....

    Not so Larry. Poor sad ****. I mean, FFS! He even got Scrant to de-lurk!

    Have a good weekend all,
    --
    Shaun.

    he`ll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett, Jingo

    ~misfit~, Jan 24, 2009

    Not reliably, it appears <http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=2410>.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 24, 2009
  10. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Dave Doe wrote:
    > In article <glcjpa$hni$>,
    > says...
    >> Somewhere on teh intarwebs Dave Doe wrote:
    >>> In article <glc8s5$2ll$>, says...

    >>> Microsoft's Tweak UI, part of Powertoys, does a great job of
    >>> disabling autorun, or even turning off whole drives.

    >> Yeah, anyone who's been using Windows for a while knows that....
    >>
    >> Not so Larry. Poor sad ****. I mean, FFS! He even got Scrant to
    >> de-lurk!
    >>
    >> Have a good weekend all,

    > I never see his messages :)

    Me either, only replies, of which there are an inordinate amount.

    Cheers,

    ~misfit~, Jan 24, 2009
  11. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Enkidu Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In message <>, Bobs wrote:
    >
    >> [Autorun] can be disabled in about 5 seconds.

    > Not reliably, it appears <http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=2410>.

    Sigh!

    "Microsoft has provided support document KB953252, which describes how
    to correct the problem of NoDriveTypeAutoRun registry value enforcement.
    After the update is installed, Windows will obey the NoDriveTypeAutorun
    registry value. Note that this fix has been released via Microsoft
    Update to Windows Vista and Server 2008 systems as part of the MS08-038
    Security Bulletin."

    and:

    "Our testing has shown that installing this update and setting the
    NoDriveTypeAutoRun registry value to 0xFF will disable AutoRun as well
    as the workaround described above."

    http://www.us-cert.gov/cas/techalerts/TA09-020A.html

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    --

    Linux is theft.

    Enkidu, Jan 24, 2009
  12. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Peter M Guest

    On Fri, 23 Jan 2009 17:02:29 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    <_zealand> wrote:

    >Or, why turning off autorun doesn't actually turn off autorun:
    ><http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=2410>.

    Yes you can with XP Antispy..

    Peter M, Jan 24, 2009
  13. In message <>, Peter M wrote:

    > On Fri, 23 Jan 2009 17:02:29 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    > <_zealand> wrote:
    >
    >>Or, why turning off autorun doesn't actually turn off autorun:
    >><http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=2410>.

    > Yes you can with XP Antispy..

    Something else to find. download, install and configure? Something that 99%
    of your typical clueless Dimdows newbies won't be able to manage? Whatever
    happened to the idea that Dimdows "just works"?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 25, 2009
  14. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Don Hills Guest

    In article <497b8dca$>,
    Enkidu <> wrote:

    >Sigh!

    He achieved his aim, which was to get you to keep posting on the subject.
    (The subject itself is irrelevant.)

    preparing you for the wonders of OS/2!"

    Don Hills, Jan 25, 2009
  15. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    EMB Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In message <glc8s5$2ll$>, Scrant wrote:
    >
    >> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >>> Or, why turning off autorun doesn't actually turn off autorun:
    >>> <http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=2410>.

    >> You really ought to see somebody about this obsession you have with
    >> discrediting something you don't like.

    > Selective memory strikes again. If you read this newsgroup, you'll see that
    > I post on a great variety of things. Yet it seems to be primarily the
    > Microsoft comments that attract the trolls and retards. Is that my fault?

    Labelling yourself a trolling retard is a good start Larry. It's also a
    pity as quite a bit of the stuff you post is worth reading and sometimes
    quite insightful. Laying off the ad hom Windows abuse (ie the trolling
    retard stuff) would do a world of good for your credibility and probably
    lead to more people reading your worthwhile postings.

    EMB, Jan 25, 2009