    And there's also a suggestion that Microsoft may force customers onto a
    subscription model. Which means they will be paying in advance for
    something that they won't be sure when they'll be getting.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jul 25, 2007

  2. On Jul 25, 12:19 am, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    > Interesting report from Ars Technica
    > <http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070722-2010-a-windows-7-odysse...>
    > about Microsoft's plans for the next version of Windows after Vista. Looks

    Dude, you can't believe everything you read on websites

    > like they're not going to do any minor updates on Vista, to avoid

    This is BS, there definitely will be updates to Vista.

    > detracting even more from Vista sales.
    >
    > So NT 7.0 will be a major release. Which means, inevitably, that it will be

    Correct. Just like NT6.0 before it, and NT5.0 before that.

    > subject to multiyear delays, for the same reasons Vista was. And it'll be

    I doubt this very much. The VP of Office is now in charge of
    Windows. Office has a history of meeting their projected shipping
    dates over and over and over again.

    > coming in too many, confusing versions, just like Vista.
    >
    > And there's also a suggestion that Microsoft may force customers onto a
    > subscription model. Which means they will be paying in advance for

    A suggestion that is a figment of some reporter and analysts
    imagination. They must've needed something to write copy about that
    day.
    Forcing a subscription - again, this sounds like utter BS to me, that
    would be suicide don't you think.

    Bad news sells newspapers, gets eyeballs, generates NNTP posts

    Nathan Mercer, Jul 25, 2007

  3. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    E. Scrooge Guest

    > Interesting report from Ars Technica
    > <http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070722-2010-a-windows-7-odyssey.html>
    > about Microsoft's plans for the next version of Windows after Vista. Looks
    > like they're not going to do any minor updates on Vista, to avoid
    > detracting even more from Vista sales.

    You claimed only just the other day that Vista wouldn't be replaced for 6
    years.
    LOL

    I'd expect Vista to be replaced at 2010 by Hal9000.
    Maybe not with the Hal9000 but it will be replaced.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Jul 25, 2007
  4. On Wed, 25 Jul 2007 01:18:08 -0700, Nathan Mercer wrote:

    >> like they're not going to do any minor updates on Vista, to avoid

    > This is BS, there definitely will be updates to Vista.

    Hi, Nathanbot.

    Given that you say there "definitely will be updates to Vista" please
    advise when the first of those updates will be released.

    --
    Jonathan Walker

    bath and a short dress to get into."

    Jonathan Walker, Jul 25, 2007
  5. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Shane Guest

    *sling wrote:

    >> Interesting report from Ars Technica

    <http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070722-2010-a-windows-7-odyssey.html>
    >> about Microsoft's plans for the next version of Windows after Vista.
    >> Looks like they're not going to do any minor updates on Vista, to avoid
    >> detracting even more from Vista sales.

    > You claimed only just the other day that Vista wouldn't be replaced for 6
    > years.
    > LOL
    >
    > I'd expect Vista to be replaced at 2010 by Hal9000.
    > Maybe not with the Hal9000 but it will be replaced.
    >
    > E. Scrooge

    What were we being castigated about the other day...
    roadmaps.. where is the Vista one....?

    --
    Q: What is the difference between a mathematician and a philosopher?
    A: The mathematician only needs paper, pencil, and a trash bin for his

    Shane, Jul 25, 2007
  6. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    RL Guest

    Jonathan Walker wrote:
    > On Wed, 25 Jul 2007 01:18:08 -0700, Nathan Mercer wrote:
    >
    >>> like they're not going to do any minor updates on Vista, to avoid

    >> This is BS, there definitely will be updates to Vista.

    > Hi, Nathanbot.
    >
    > Given that you say there "definitely will be updates to Vista" please
    > advise when the first of those updates will be released.

    Well, technically there are updates available now via Windows Update.
    Service Pack 1 is due by the end of the year, going to beta shortly if
    not already.

    RL

    RL, Jul 25, 2007
  7. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    RL Guest

    RL, Jul 25, 2007
  8. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Yeah Right Guest

    On , , 26 Jul 2007 00:01:45 +1200, Re: Dimdows 7, Jonathan Walker
    <> wrote:

    >On Wed, 25 Jul 2007 01:18:08 -0700, Nathan Mercer wrote:
    >
    >>> like they're not going to do any minor updates on Vista, to avoid

    >> This is BS, there definitely will be updates to Vista.

    >Hi, Nathanbot.
    >
    >Given that you say there "definitely will be updates to Vista" please
    >advise when the first of those updates will be released.

    Hi Davidmoronbot, don't you have anything else to do? You know
    like unblocking toilets or mopping the foyer again, perhaps
    cleaning out the spitoons and taking out the rubbish would give
    you a purpose in life.

    Yeah Right, Jul 26, 2007
  9. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Yeah Right Guest

    On , , Thu, 26 Jul 2007 07:56:37 +1200, Re: Dimdows 7, RL
    <> wrote:

    >Jonathan Walker wrote:

    >>> This is BS, there definitely will be updates to Vista.

    >> Hi, Nathanbot.
    >>
    >> Given that you say there "definitely will be updates to Vista" please
    >> advise when the first of those updates will be released.

    >Well, technically there are updates available now via Windows Update.
    >Service Pack 1 is due by the end of the year, going to beta shortly if
    >not already.

    You are wasting your time pointing out facts to David Murray, he
    can't grasp anything more complicated that wringing out his mop.

    Yeah Right, Jul 26, 2007
  10. In message <>, Yeah Right wrote:

    > On , , Thu, 26 Jul 2007 07:56:37 +1200, Re: Dimdows 7, RL
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>Well, technically there are updates available now via Windows Update.
    >>Service Pack 1 is due by the end of the year, going to beta shortly if
    >>not already.

    > You are wasting your time pointing out facts to David Murray...

    There has been no such "fact" about the timing of Visaster SP1.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jul 26, 2007
  11. In message <>, Nathan
    Mercer wrote:

    > On Jul 25, 12:19 am, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    > central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    >> Interesting report from Ars Technica

    <http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070722-2010-a-windows-7-odyssey.html>
    >> about Microsoft's plans for the next version of Windows after Vista.
    >> Looks like they're not going to do any minor updates on Vista, to avoid
    >> detracting even more from Vista sales.

    > Dude, you can't believe everything you read on websites

    Well, if it's a choice between reading an independent website or a comment
    from a representative of a company that's been known to spread more than
    its share of FUD...

    > This is BS, there definitely will be updates to Vista.

    Why isn't Microsoft talking about them, then? Here is more publicity about
    the replacement for Vista:
    <http://www.microsoft-watch.com/content/operating_systems/why_seven_and_not_sp1.html>.
    Yet nary a mention of updates to it.

    >> So NT 7.0 will be a major release. Which means, inevitably, that it will
    >> be subject to multiyear delays, for the same reasons Vista was.

    > I doubt this very much. The VP of Office is now in charge of
    > Windows. Office has a history of meeting their projected shipping
    > dates over and over and over again.

    Yes, but that was with Office, not Windows, which is a whole different
    kettle of fish. And it looks like the move has already triggered the
    departure of several key Windows folk, along with consequent loss of their
    expertise
    <http://www.emailbattles.com/2006/09/11/ms-insider-the-office-crew-isnt-smart-enough-to-supplant-real-windows-developers/>.

    >> And there's also a suggestion that Microsoft may force customers onto a
    >> subscription model.

    > A suggestion that is a figment of some reporter and analysts
    > imagination.

    Or perhaps the publicity about Dimdows 7 is to _encourage_ those customers
    burned by Software Assurance to continue with it.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jul 26, 2007
  12. On Thu, 26 Jul 2007 07:56:37 +1200, RL wrote:

    >> Given that you say there "definitely will be updates to Vista" please
    >> advise when the first of those updates will be released.

    > Well, technically there are updates available now via Windows Update.
    > Service Pack 1 is due by the end of the year, going to beta shortly if not
    > already.

    LOL!

    "Service Pack 1" - nothing less than the development that should have also
    been done before Vi$ta was dumped on the unsuspecting public!

    Jonathan Walker, Jul 26, 2007
  13. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Jennings Guest

    On Thu, 26 Jul 2007 18:26:12 +1200, Yeah Right wrote:

    > On , , 26 Jul 2007 00:01:45 +1200, Re: Dimdows 7, Jonathan Walker
    > <> wrote:

    ased.

    > Hi Davidmoronbot, snip ...

    Classic .............

    Biggles

    Jennings, Jul 27, 2007
  14. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Yeah Right Guest

    On , , Fri, 27 Jul 2007 17:56:44 +0000, Re: Dimdows 7, Jennings
    <> wrote:

    >On Thu, 26 Jul 2007 18:26:12 +1200, Yeah Right wrote:
    >
    >> On , , 26 Jul 2007 00:01:45 +1200, Re: Dimdows 7, Jonathan Walker
    >> <> wrote:
    >>

    >ased.
    >>
    >> Hi Davidmoronbot, snip ...

    >Classic .............

    You left out the best bits:

    >Hi Davidmoronbot, don't you have anything else to do? You know
    >like unblocking toilets or mopping the foyer again, perhaps
    >cleaning out the spitoons and taking out the rubbish would give
    >you a purpose in life.

    Perhaps you might find:
    a classic
    in classic
    at classic
    by classic
    from classic
    when classic
    who classic
    with classic
    where classic
    are classic
    portmanteau classic
    gallimaufrey classic
    stringbean classic
    chilli bean classic
    hambone classic
    illicit classic
    timberland classic
    harvard classic

    Yeah Right, Jul 28, 2007
  15. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Yeah Right Guest

    On , , Fri, 03 Aug 2007 01:58:39 +0000, Re: Dimdows 7, Jennings
    <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 28 Jul 2007 11:31:37 +1200, Yeah Right wrote:
    >

    >>>Hi Davidmoronbot, don't you have anything else to do? You know like
    >>>unblocking toilets or mopping the foyer again, perhaps cleaning out the
    >>>spitoons and taking out the rubbish would give you a purpose in life.

    ><snip>
    >
    >> harvard classic

    >Moron comes to mind ...

    Yes, moron it is. Morons can be trained to do low level jobs like
    that of a hotel night porter.

    Yeah Right, Aug 2, 2007
  16. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Jennings Guest

    On Sat, 28 Jul 2007 11:31:37 +1200, Yeah Right wrote:

    >>Hi Davidmoronbot, don't you have anything else to do? You know like
    >>unblocking toilets or mopping the foyer again, perhaps cleaning out the
    >>spitoons and taking out the rubbish would give you a purpose in life.

    <snip>

    > harvard classic

    Moron comes to mind ...

    Biggles

    Jennings, Aug 3, 2007
  17. In message <>, Nathan
    Mercer wrote:

    > The VP of Office is now in charge of
    > Windows. Office has a history of meeting their projected shipping
    > dates over and over and over again.

    ....except for this latest hiccup over Mac Office
    <http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/08/03/mac_office_delayed/>. Sign of
    things to come?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Aug 4, 2007