    mildly-reworked Vista, to try to reduce some of the bloat. After all,
    Microsoft were already hammered over the compatibility problems introduced
    in Vista, they don't want to add any more, do they?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Apr 1, 2008

  2. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Ross Guest

    On Tue, 01 Apr 2008 19:46:20 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    <_zealand> wrote:

    >A lot of people believe that Dimdows 7 will be built around a new,
    >stripped-down "MinWin" kernel. Ed Bott <http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=418>
    >points out that's not the case: "MinWin" is purely a research project to
    >investigate directions _after_ Dimdows 7. 7 itself will be just a
    >mildly-reworked Vista, to try to reduce some of the bloat. After all,
    >Microsoft were already hammered over the compatibility problems introduced
    >in Vista, they don't want to add any more, do they?

    Time for MS to start a new line.
    The NT line has had it;s day. They should "grandfather" it.
    Make a new OS from scratch and supply a VM to run the old NT products
    as needed.
    Maybe they could buy Debian or similar Linux to build on. Even OS X.

    Ross, Apr 1, 2008

  3. In article <>, Ross did write:

    > The NT line has had it;s day. They should "grandfather" it.
    > Make a new OS from scratch and supply a VM to run the old NT products
    > as needed.

    Not that easy. A VM isn't going to solve the security issue: it's going to
    be just as prone to vulnerabilities as "real" hardware.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Apr 1, 2008
  4. In article <>, Brian Mathews did
    write:

    > Please give it a Rest as you are just getting up peoples noses ...

    Pot, kettle ...

    > Gee I thought I was the bad one here.

    Good to know you've made a start, by admitting you have a problem.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Apr 1, 2008
  5. In article <47f20471$>, Collector€NZ did write:

    > ... you are just a silly little twerp ...

    It just repels me when people start resorting to personal attacks like this.
    To me, it indicates a complete bankruptcy of meaningful ideas. Either
    contribute to the debate or **** off, don't whine like a baby.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Apr 1, 2008
  6. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    impossible Guest

    > In article <47f20471$>, Collector?NZ did write:
    >
    >> Twank,
    >>
    >> You have not made a single post to this group of any value, while some
    >> people share your dislike of Windows and MS not too many are prepared to
    >> be as obtrusive about it as you are.
    >>
    >> Thank god for the small mercy of a plonk file, one day when you grow up
    >> and actually work in an industry position where you deal with the real
    >> world and can evaluate from a real business world perspective your posts
    >> may become a realistic and valuable contribution to this group.
    >>
    >> Until then you are just a silly little twerp with delusions of self
    >> grandeur and I suggest you ask your parents to get you help, even if it
    >> is shock treatment or retrospective abortion.
    >>

    >> <<Plonk>>>

    > It just repels me when people start resorting to personal attacks like
    > this.
    > To me, it indicates a complete bankruptcy of meaningful ideas. Either
    > contribute to the debate or **** off, don't whine like a baby.

    Twank, he called you -- that'a cross between a wanker and a twat. I think
    that rather suits you, actually. In which case the notion of a "personal
    attack" doesn't really apply. Now, if someone said, "Don't believe a thing
    this twank says because we all know that twanks are born wrong", then I
    coluldn't go along with that. The arguments of each and every twank should
    be judged on their merits. But when a twank like you chooses "Dimdows" as
    his signature concept and never rises above that level of argument, then I'd
    say Collector?NZ is right on target.

    impossible, Apr 2, 2008
  7. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Hank Scorpio Guest

    This is pathetic. I get something out of Mr L d'O's posts, but I get nothing
    out of all this name-calling. Leave it alone guys. Even I know how to
    eliminate messages from posters I don't like.

    Hank Scorpio, Apr 2, 2008
  8. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    impossible Guest

    "Hank Scorpio" <> wrote in message
    > This is pathetic. I get something out of Mr L d'O's posts, but I get
    > nothing out of all this name-calling. Leave it alone guys. Even I know how
    > to eliminate messages from posters I don't like.

    Sure thing, Larry -- I mean, Mr. L d'O... no wait, "Hank" is it?....ok.

    impossible, Apr 2, 2008
  9. On Apr 3, 6:39 am, "impossible" <> wrote:
    > "Hank Scorpio" <> wrote in message

    > > This is pathetic. I get something out of Mr L d'O's posts, but I get
    > > nothing out of all this name-calling. Leave it alone guys. Even I know how
    > > to eliminate messages from posters I don't like.

    > Sure thing, Larry -- I mean, Mr. L d'O... no wait, "Hank" is it?....ok.

    By the by, I happen to agree with Hank & Puddle.

    The Dimdows thing is really, really old (I mean really old.. no,
    seriously... it's old... I mean, like, old!)... but no one's winning
    any moral victories here. I mean, honestly, read your responses.
    Nuclear much?

    Cheers,

    Hamish

    Hamish Campbell, Apr 2, 2008
  10. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    impossible Guest

    "Hamish Campbell" <> wrote in message
    On Apr 3, 6:39 am, "impossible" <> wrote:

    >> "Hank Scorpio" <> wrote in message

    >> > This is pathetic. I get something out of Mr L d'O's posts, but I get
    >> > nothing out of all this name-calling. Leave it alone guys. Even I know
    >> > how
    >> > to eliminate messages from posters I don't like.

    >> Sure thing, Larry -- I mean, Mr. L d'O... no wait, "Hank" is it?....ok.

    > By the by, I happen to agree with Hank & Puddle.

    Sure thing, Larry -- I mean, "Hank"... no wait, "Hammish" is it?....ok.

    impossible, Apr 3, 2008
  11. On Apr 3, 3:19 pm, "impossible" <> wrote:
    > "Hamish Campbell" <> wrote in message

    > On Apr 3, 6:39 am, "impossible" <> wrote:
    >
    > >> "Hank Scorpio" <> wrote in message

    > >> Sure thing, Larry -- I mean, Mr. L d'O... no wait, "Hank" is it?....ok.

    > > By the by, I happen to agree with Hank & Puddle.

    > Sure thing, Larry -- I mean, "Hank"... no wait, "Hammish" is it?....ok.

    One 'm', and, existential dilemmas aside, I'm prettty sure I exist.

    http://twitter.com/polemic

    Peace,

    Hamish

    </not freaking out because I like one OS better than another>

    Hamish Campbell, Apr 3, 2008
  12. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    On Apr 3, 3:19 pm, "impossible" <> wrote:
    >> "Hamish Campbell" <> wrote in message

    >> > By the by, I happen to agree with Hank & Puddle.

    >> Sure thing, Larry -- I mean, "Hank"... no wait, "Hammish" is it?....ok.

    > One 'm', and, existential dilemmas aside, I'm prettty sure I exist.

    Yes, and I'm pretty sure that Lawyering for Larry Day ended on 1 April. Do
    come back next year, however. And bring "Hank" with you, of course

    impossible, Apr 3, 2008
  13. In article
    <>, Hamish
    Campbell did write:

    > The Dimdows thing is really, really old (I mean really old.. no,
    > seriously... it's old... I mean, like, old!)...

    All part of my plan for world domination
    <http://groups.google.co.nz/group/nz.comp/msg/4030b038bb9682ad> ...

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Apr 3, 2008
  14. Gartner does an analysis of the resource usage of Windows
    <http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=8428> -- is it getting out of control?
    Interesting that even the cut-down XP Starter Edition takes twice the
    storage space of Linux. And why doesn't Linux have an equivalent
    to "Windows rot"?

    And as nice as their suggestions for licensing changes sound, I can't see
    Microsoft going along with them--too much of a direct threat to their
    revenue model.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Apr 10, 2008
  15. Microsoft has been promising a "modular" version of Dimdows for about a
    decade now
    <http://blogs.eweek.com/brooks/content/windows/toward_a_more_perfectly_modular_windows.html>.
    Yet every new version has been, if anything, an even more tangled thicket
    of interdependencies than before. The article points out the particular
    irony of .NET, which was supposed to allow code to be delivered in the form
    of modular "assemblies", yet which itself has so many dependencies to and
    from other things that its omission from the "Server Core" installation
    option in Server 2008 severely cripples its functionality.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Apr 12, 2008
  16. Are the Byzantine Dimdows pricing structure and arcane licensing conditions
    putting people off <http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=427>?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Apr 15, 2008
  17. In message <ftke36$rdc$>, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    > Gartner does an analysis of the resource usage of Windows
    > <http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=8428> -- is it getting out of control?

    Look at this chart of exponentially-increasing Dimdows resource requirements
    over time <http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=8134>. Scary, isn't it...

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Apr 16, 2008