Dimage A2 or Coolpix 8800?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Pete McCutchen, Nov 23, 2004.

  1. I'm looking for a nice "walking around" digital camera for travel and
    use when I don't feel like lugging the SLR and a bag of lenses. I
    tend to dither a fair amount, but I'm seriously considering either the
    Konica Minolta Dimage A2 or the Nikon Coolpix 8800.

    I liked the feel of the Dimage A2 marginally better, the slightly more
    compact size, and I like being able to zoom by spinning the lens,
    which I'm used to doing. With the Nikon, I like the idea of being
    able to use my Nikon speedlights, and I like the slightly longer zoom
    length. In both cases, I love the idea of vibration
    reduction/anti-shake, which I think is the best invention since the
    shutter. My one concern, with both cameras, is noise level.

    I'm getting an Epson 4000 printer, and I sometimes make enlargements
    up to 16x20 or thereabouts, so I really want good image quality.
    Mostly I'll still be using my SLR for "serious" work, but part of the
    idea of a "walking around" camera is that I might catch worthwhile
    shots when I'm not expecting it. If I do, I want to be able to go
    big.

    Any thoughts?
    --

    Pete McCutchen

    Pete McCutchen, Nov 23, 2004

  2. Pete McCutchen

    Cliff Smith Guest

    "Pete McCutchen" <> wrote in message

    > I'm looking for a nice "walking around" digital camera for travel and
    > use when I don't feel like lugging the SLR and a bag of lenses. I
    > tend to dither a fair amount, but I'm seriously considering either the
    > Konica Minolta Dimage A2 or the Nikon Coolpix 8800.
    >
    > I liked the feel of the Dimage A2 marginally better, the slightly more
    > compact size, and I like being able to zoom by spinning the lens,
    > which I'm used to doing. With the Nikon, I like the idea of being
    > able to use my Nikon speedlights, and I like the slightly longer zoom
    > length. In both cases, I love the idea of vibration
    > reduction/anti-shake, which I think is the best invention since the
    > shutter. My one concern, with both cameras, is noise level.
    >
    > I'm getting an Epson 4000 printer, and I sometimes make enlargements
    > up to 16x20 or thereabouts, so I really want good image quality.
    > Mostly I'll still be using my SLR for "serious" work, but part of the
    > idea of a "walking around" camera is that I might catch worthwhile
    > shots when I'm not expecting it. If I do, I want to be able to go
    > big.
    >
    > Any thoughts?
    > --
    >
    > Pete McCutchen

    The Dimage A2 for the lovely manual zoom control. Also, the zoom goes down
    to 28mm equiv, which I think is a lot more useful that the 35-350mm on the
    Nikon.
    I've not tried the Nikon's anti-shake, but with the A2 I was able to take
    perfectly sharp pictures hand held at 1/25th sec and 200mm zoom.

    --
    Cliff Smith
    www.cliffsmith.co.uk

    Cliff Smith, Nov 23, 2004

  3. I have Diamage A1, but I am not too impressed. This is my most expensive
    camera and 5th digital one.The camera is loaded with a lot of features, it
    has perfect reviews, but the picture quality and results are not very
    consistent. I can make consistently much better pictures with my FinePix
    2600 than with this one. I am not beginner, so I know a lot about
    photography and cameras. I tried time laps photos every 5 min during the
    night with flash. The conditions were absolutely identical, but the pictures
    show different exposure. This is very visible when run as a movie. You could
    see darker and lighter pictures.

    Sometimes it totally shifts colors, to let say to green. I have to turn it
    off and on to reset it. Display shows several vertical pink lines when
    looking towards a brighter object, like snow. I newer saw this before.

    It is almost impossible to take picture of a moving object, especially
    random moving, like small kid. You aim, press the trigger and the picture
    disappears for a fraction of sec, perhaps even sec. You cannot follow that
    moving object, because you cannot see it. The resulting picture shows the
    kid walking out of picture.

    Automatic object focus tracking is, I would say, useless. It supposed to be
    used to focus on moving objects, but it never works. I aimed it on well lit
    and very distinctive features, but it almost instantly moves to some random
    spot and wanders around.

    The bottom line is that, I would be very hesitant to buy A2, because I
    believe it is mechanically and optically identical, just the sensor has
    higher resolution. A1 is 5 Mp, but I have it set to 3 Mp, which is plenty
    for 8 x 11 pictures printed on HP DeskJet 970 Cse.

    Jan

    Jan Nademlejnsky, Nov 23, 2004
  4. Pete McCutchen

    Terry Guest

    On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 05:33:30 GMT, "Jan Nademlejnsky" <>
    wrote:

    >I have Diamage A1, but I am not too impressed. This is my most expensive
    >camera and 5th digital one.The camera is loaded with a lot of features, it
    >has perfect reviews, but the picture quality and results are not very
    >consistent. I can make consistently much better pictures with my FinePix
    >2600 than with this one. I am not beginner, so I know a lot about
    >photography and cameras. I tried time laps photos every 5 min during the
    >night with flash. The conditions were absolutely identical, but the pictures
    >show different exposure. This is very visible when run as a movie. You could
    >see darker and lighter pictures.
    >
    >Sometimes it totally shifts colors, to let say to green. I have to turn it
    >off and on to reset it. Display shows several vertical pink lines when
    >looking towards a brighter object, like snow. I newer saw this before.

    My A1 replaced a CP950. I've taken thousands of pictures with my A1
    and have seen neither colour shifting nor "pink lines". Particularly
    in snow (which we get a lot of here).

    >It is almost impossible to take picture of a moving object, especially
    >random moving, like small kid. You aim, press the trigger and the picture
    >disappears for a fraction of sec, perhaps even sec. You cannot follow that
    >moving object, because you cannot see it. The resulting picture shows the
    >kid walking out of picture.
    >
    >Automatic object focus tracking is, I would say, useless. It supposed to be
    >used to focus on moving objects, but it never works. I aimed it on well lit
    >and very distinctive features, but it almost instantly moves to some random
    >spot and wanders around.

    I have had good results with this feature, both on lively kids and on
    aircraft. I do get the random mis-focus about one shot in ten, which
    is acceptable to me.

    --
    Terry
    Geneva

    Terry, Nov 23, 2004
  5. Pete McCutchen wrote:
    > I'm looking for a nice "walking around" digital camera for travel and
    > use when I don't feel like lugging the SLR and a bag of lenses. I
    > tend to dither a fair amount, but I'm seriously considering either the
    > Konica Minolta Dimage A2 or the Nikon Coolpix 8800.

    Unless you absolutely require the 8MP (and perhaps you do for 16 x 20), I
    would consider the lower-cost Panasonic FZ20 which doesn't have the poor
    JPEG image quality of the Minolta A2 nor the limiting f/5.2 aperture at
    maximum zoom of the Nikon 8800 - it has an f/2.8 aperture throughout the
    range.

    With the A2 you /must/ use RAW mode to get the quality you need.

    David

    David J Taylor, Nov 23, 2004
  6. Pete McCutchen

    C J Campbell Guest

    "Jan Nademlejnsky" <> wrote in message
    > I have Diamage A1, but I am not too impressed.

    I have to agree, but the A2 is a different camera entirely. It has little in
    common with the A1 other than the general body shape.

    C J Campbell, Nov 24, 2004
  7. Pete McCutchen

    conj Guest

    > The Dimage A2 for the lovely manual zoom control. Also, the zoom goes down
    > to 28mm equiv, which I think is a lot more useful that the 35-350mm on the
    > Nikon.
    > I've not tried the Nikon's anti-shake, but with the A2 I was able to take
    > perfectly sharp pictures hand held at 1/25th sec and 200mm zoom.

    I have exactly the same thoughts / experience

    Marc

    conj, Nov 25, 2004