    Any suggestions please?
    Thanks,
    Roger
    Roger Thomas, Mar 18, 2006

  2. Roger Thomas

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:sr0Tf.12403$,
    Roger Thomas spewed forth:
    > I've just been looking at a laptop (running XP) with an unusual
    > problem: If it boots on battery power everything is fine.
    > If it boots on mains power the screen goes dim (you can just make out
    > the icons) at the point where the final desktop appears at the end of
    > the boot process.
    > I've checked the power/standby/etc. settings and everything looks OK.
    > Any suggestions please?
    > Thanks,
    > Roger

    Hi Roger,

    Our laptops at work are made by Dell. There are brightness settings in the
    BIOS. It allows for setting the brightness in either battery mode or AC
    mode. Perhaps someone set those up incorrectly. The other thing, is the
    ability to control screen brightness from the keyboard. On both my Dell and
    Sony laptops, there is a "Fn" key between the left Ctrl and Windows keys.
    Using that key, and the correct keys I can adjust brightness. On the Dell,
    it's Fn and the Up/Down arrows. On my Sony, it's the Fn key/F5 to increase
    or shift-Fn/F5 to decrease brightness.

    Toolman Tim, Mar 18, 2006

  3. Roger Thomas

    Roger Thomas Guest

    "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    > In news:sr0Tf.12403$,
    > Roger Thomas spewed forth:
    >> I've just been looking at a laptop (running XP) with an unusual
    >> problem: If it boots on battery power everything is fine.
    >> If it boots on mains power the screen goes dim (you can just make out
    >> the icons) at the point where the final desktop appears at the end of
    >> the boot process.
    >> I've checked the power/standby/etc. settings and everything looks OK.
    >> Any suggestions please?
    >> Thanks,
    >> Roger

    > Hi Roger,
    >
    > Our laptops at work are made by Dell. There are brightness settings in the
    > BIOS. It allows for setting the brightness in either battery mode or AC
    > mode. Perhaps someone set those up incorrectly. The other thing, is the
    > ability to control screen brightness from the keyboard. On both my Dell
    > and Sony laptops, there is a "Fn" key between the left Ctrl and Windows
    > keys. Using that key, and the correct keys I can adjust brightness. On the
    > Dell, it's Fn and the Up/Down arrows. On my Sony, it's the Fn key/F5 to
    > increase or shift-Fn/F5 to decrease brightness.
    >
    > --
    > The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

    Hi Tim,
    I was able to change the brightness using key combinations when on battery
    power but there was no response when on mains power.
    I didn't realise there was a BIOS setting so I'll investigate that the next
    time I see the machine.
    Thanks,
    Roger

    Roger Thomas, Mar 18, 2006
  4. I might be off on this one, and the suggestions you've been getting on
    changing the setting in the BIOS might be more accurate.

    The reason I'm not sure about it is because your screen does come up ok on
    batteries.

    that being said, i have seen laptop screen go dim (the backlight is no
    longer there) when the FL Inverter Board is damaged. as I said, it might not
    the problem you're having, as I don't know how exactly the FL Inverter Board
    works, whether it works differently in different laptops (I've changed one
    on a toshiba to fix the dim screen problem). Anyway, it's something to
    research in case you find that no software/BIOS settings are helping...

    Georges Khairallah, Mar 19, 2006
  5. Roger Thomas

    michael Guest

    George .
    We run a total of three Laptops at home and over a period of around two
    years have had to replace the Backlights on two of the units,now i was told
    that this could be a common problem with Laptop computers?
    If you need to replace the backlight watch you dont get riped off by some of
    these suppliers like PCW,its not a big deal to replace.
    Mike.

    michael, Mar 19, 2006
  6. Mike, I'm not sure if you meant to reply to me or to the main poster, Roger
    Thomas :) ... but yeah, i hear yea about the backlight issue, these can cost
    up to $800 ...
    the one that I was talking about was the FL Inverter Board, and not the
    actual backlight or LCD. This one is small electronic component that usually
    sits on the bottom of the LCD screen, sitting in the mdidle between the two
    hinges, with two plugs plugged on either side of it. These usually cost
    around $40. but as far as being ripped off.. when I was shopping for one, I
    did find places selling the same exact part for $70... so I totally hear
    ya... (I ended up getting mine off of eBay ... worked great)

    As for it being a common problem.. I don't really know if it is... I know
    that tends to be more common in Toshiba laptops.. in fact, when i was
    researching it, I found that Toshiba had a free replacement program for
    certain Toshiba laptop models, because the FL Inverter boards
    were faulty. I believe this was the link that I had originally found about
    it:
    http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/...ineID=cccgaddhdimdkddcgfkceghdgngdgmn.0&ct=SB

    Also, I included a link to an example disassembly of a Toshiba laptop ...
    http://www.irisvista.com/tech/laptops/ToshibaM45/laptop_LCD_screen_removal.htm

    Cheers,

    Georges Khairallah, Mar 19, 2006